Pinctada Maculata (Pipi) Pearls

This thread should really be pinned at the top of the "Natural Pearls" section...

I went to the UPS distribution center today to pick up a small parcel of pipis today. These may be the last pipis I'll ever get my hands on, but if someone knows where I could get 4-6 inches of drilled 2.5-3.5mm pipis, I'm all ears!

The largest pearl of the lot is 7x7.5mm! So close to that upper limit of 8mm

Attachments

• IMG_5987.jpeg
    IMG_5987.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5979.jpeg
    IMG_5979.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5980.jpeg
    IMG_5980.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 56
This thread should really be pinned at the top of the "Natural Pearls" section...

I went to the UPS distribution center today to pick up a small parcel of pipis today. These may be the last pipis I'll ever get my hands on, but if someone knows where I could get 4-6 inches of drilled 2.5-3.5mm pipis, I'm all ears!

The largest pearl of the lot is 7x7.5mm! So close to that upper limit of 8mm
Nice & Big!
Are the fisheries collapsing or is there an effort to save the remaining "Pipi Pearl beds"?

I'm not really sure, Doug. From discussions and seeing some photos, I suspect there was a bit of over harvest took place. The harvester applied for a permit and was denied and claimed it was because of nationality bias. I have seen writing on here stating that permits are only issued to locals. The harvesters wife used to live there, but I don't know about now. Perhaps there was a loop hole that the country has now closed? Anyways, what I purchased were not the top notch of the short market. I've seen photos of the real high quality strands and they were breathtaking in not only their perfection but also their prices. This was the first opportunity I've had to purchase any pipis in years. I'm grateful for my relationship with the harvester!
Nice & Big!
Are the fisheries collapsing or is there an effort to save the remaining "Pipi Pearl beds"?
Doug

Nice to see you!
Jeremy, Douglas, Pattye, Wendy, et al: Nice to be seen! Keep up the great work here! Will be watching out for the next Pearl Jam, Ruckus, or whatever they are called these days. I'll also see if I can get any local updates on Pipi harvesting on Tongareva, contacts are cold but not frozen.

Last edited:
Contact remains very warm!

Our old friend in Rarotonga grew up in the pearl business on Tongareva and still refers to that island by its Western name. Penrhyn is cited in all the classic pearl literature as the most famous source for Pipi pearls.

To the point:
... there are no longer any Pipi pearls from Penrhyn, overfishing and environmental factors have now destroyed the oyster beds. It may be a few generations (or more) before they are available again, so I hope that you still enjoy your collection.

Already at the time of our purchase of Te Poe O te Kuki Airani, Pipi gathering had become non-viable and it was decided to blow the remaining loose pearl stash on two such strands, the companion piece being acquired by the King of Tonga. Such was my introduction to pearls!

Last edited:
MSC thanks for bringing this thread back to life, and congratulations on your new Pipi pearls; very beautiful! After re-reading all 14 pages of this thread, I feel very very lucky to have one necklace of very tiny baroque Pipi pearls, from Pearl Paradise a few years ago. As I recall, it was 2am here, and a pearl friend sent me a quick note "you might like these" and there were only 3 strands; I got 1. I need to get that strand out and wear it tomorrow! I hope those pearl beds can recover. Thanks for all the knowledge!

Jeremy, Douglas, Pattye, Wendy, et al: Nice to be seen! Keep up the great work here! Will be watching out for the next Pearl Jam, Ruckus, or whatever they are called these days. I'll also see if I can get any local updates on Pipi harvesting on Aitutaki, contacts are cold but not frozen.
Sarah Cannizaro of Kojima is hosting the "Pearls by the Bay" event in the month of May! Keep this one in mind!
Would love to see you there :)

So glad to hear from you, Steve! This thread inspired my own collecting journey. It's very sad to hear all those oyster beds are gone, such a loss. This certainly confirms my own suspicions 😢

Get that strand out! And post some pics 😁
MSC thanks for bringing this thread back to life, and congratulations on your new Pipi pearls; very beautiful! After re-reading all 14 pages of this thread, I feel very very lucky to have one necklace of very tiny baroque Pipi pearls, from Pearl Paradise a few years ago. As I recall, it was 2am here, and a pearl friend sent me a quick note "you might like these" and there were only 3 strands; I got 1. I need to get that strand out and wear it tomorrow! I hope those pearl beds can recover. Thanks for all the knowledge

Get that strand out! And post some pics 😁
That provides additional incentive, insomuch as what 10 years of absolute darkness has done to those pearls.

ALL: Note I will attempt editing my above posts which incorrectly equated the island of Aitutaki with Penryhn. The correct Polynesian name for the island, as in many posts earlier in the thread, is Tongareva. Forgive my rust.

The only photo not by me in my book is Steve's photo of this sumptuous necklace. It's so beautiful and I hate the thought of it -or any necklace - languishing in the dark in a vault, unadmired.

Wendy, my extended absence here left me uninformed about the release of your book. It's on order! If Pearls by the Bay in May offers the opportunity for a little unabashed trophy sharing we would certainly want to bring Te Poe for a reawakening in the California sunshine.

Wendy, my extended absence here left me uninformed about the release of your book. It's on order! If Pearls by the Bay in May offers the opportunity for a little unabashed trophy sharing we would certainly want to bring Te Poe for a reawakening in the California sunshine.
It would be amazing if you make it! Hisano and I joined last year. It was an incredible event!

Back