Perfect Round Cambodian South Sea Pearl

YHammouda-Eyre

Community member
Hello PearlGuiders -

recently we had an enquiry from someone wishing to sell his 24mm South Sea Pearl, purchased 34 yrs ago in Phnom Pehn Cambodia. Apparently the pearl has been in a safe in a Bank in San Diego USA ever since, we have been informed it is 24mm perfect round with a pink and blue shine to it. Would anyone at Pearl Guide know if there's any place in San Diego where this pearl can be x-rayed or authenticated?

best regards
Yvonne Hammouda-Eyre

www.antique-jewelry-investor.com

The world headquarters of GIA is in Carlsbad, just up the freeway a few miles. Direct delivery and big savings on shipping insurance!

I live in San Diego and would be happy to pay a call on the pearl and take a portrait! ;)

The lab in Carlsbad will allow someone to bring the pearl to the lab in person if they make arrangements ahead of time to do so. I doubt they will do "while you wait" on pearls, though.

I live in San Diego and would be happy to pay a call on the pearl and take a portrait! ;)

The lab in Carlsbad will allow someone to bring the pearl to the lab in person if they make arrangements ahead of time to do so. I doubt they will do "while you wait" on pearls, though.

Too bad you can't make an appointment for an xray like you do at the doctors office.:D You could be in and out in an hour with your picture.:)
barbie

Too bad you can't make an appointment for an xray like you do at the doctors office.:D You could be in and out in an hour with your picture.:)
Gotta give 'em time to ruminate and postulate, remember from Josh's April Fools thread that the XRay of his actual 16mm round did not reveal a nucleus.

GIA Pearl Testing Labs

GIA Pearl Testing Labs

Hi Pearl-guiders

still trying to get a scan of this pearl so I can post on the forum.
Does the Carlsbad GIA lab still test pearls ? I'm asking because I've just been informed by the person making enquiries that the pearl has to be tested at the New York GIA lab? Thanks everyone for your comments.

Regards
Yvonne

Hello PearlGuiders -

recently we had an enquiry from someone wishing to sell his 24mm South Sea Pearl, purchased 34 yrs ago in Phnom Pehn Cambodia. Apparently the pearl has been in a safe in a Bank in San Diego USA ever since, we have been informed it is 24mm perfect round with a pink and blue shine to it. Would anyone at Pearl Guide know if there's any place in San Diego where this pearl can be x-rayed or authenticated?

best regards
Yvonne Hammouda-Eyre

My pearl jeweller x-rayed my Tahitian pearls at the dentist next door!

Is this some time of a scam or a would-be scam?? A photo is easy to take!!!

Dawn eBay ID dawncee333

They do pearls at the Carlsbad, CA lab. I wonder if there is something special about the pearl that they want to evaluate it in NYC? ;)

Hi Pearl-guiders

still trying to get a scan of this pearl so I can post on the forum.
Does the Carlsbad GIA lab still test pearls ? I'm asking because I've just been informed by the person making enquiries that the pearl has to be tested at the New York GIA lab? Thanks everyone for your comments.

Regards
Yvonne

Waiting for a photo

Waiting for a photo

nope no scam - i get hundreds of questions a week, people asking about all kinds of things from fossil pearls, to gold hallmarks to the jewelry worn by the passengers on the titanic. I find most people are pretty genuine.

I still haven't seen the photo of this pearl though, and seeing is believing.

hey Bodecia nice one.

Regards
Yvonne

My pearl jeweller x-rayed my Tahitian pearls at the dentist next door!

Unfortunately its a different kind of x-ray machine that is needed, tell your jeweler that this doesn't work.

It's not just the machine, but the evidence chain plus experienced interpretation required for authentication. That said, did the dentist's XRAY indicate anything at all?

Back