Evaluate this South Sea Pearl Strand

Definitely dont buy anything that isn't exactly what you want. You can throw the dice on freshwaters and fun pearls but when you start hitting the rare air of Round WSS then you start to look at big bucks. So you want to be sure of what you are getting because even at the mid range they are pricey.
Most people can't afford the top shelf stuff. I just looked at a single large WSS pearl that wholesales for $5000 / that's ONE pearl. Thats what I'm talking about at the high end. So spend time looking at pearls..go into stores and take a close look. The more you look at the better you will understand what you are seeing.

Definitely dont buy anything that isn't exactly what you want. You can throw the dice on freshwaters and fun pearls but when you start hitting the rare air of Round WSS then you start to look at big bucks. So you want to be sure of what you are getting because even at the mid range they are pricey.
Most people can't afford the top shelf stuff. I just looked at a single large WSS pearl that wholesales for $5000 / that's ONE pearl. Thats what I'm talking about at the high end. So spend time looking at pearls..go into stores and take a close look. The more you look at the better you will understand what you are seeing.

You are so right about the high end! I have seen south sea strands for 50k or more. Sometimes I will go to parties and see women wearing strands which I know must be of this quality level but you never get close enough to them and they never stand still long enough for you to ogle them! (How dare they, right? It’s not like you can look at your own pearls while you’re wearing them, so slow down and let me admire, lol!)

I just don’t know if I’d ever get into anything gem quality for that reason... because I don’t think most people would have the chance to appreciate them and I wouldn’t be able to look at them other than in the jewelry box. I guess I’m looking for the magic strand that is a happy blend of everything I want. Roundness, size, color, luster. I don’t mind a few blemishes, I actually think they are a very bold statement. A slightly blemished but beautiful pearl announces itself, “I’m real!” And I think they are more likely to spark the interest of others and create conversation.

What has been your experience?

Very high end pearls worn by someone whose overall look (clothes, shoes, bags, hair etc.) isn't similarly high end will tend to be assumed to be fake, I think. A few blemishes, a bit of off-roundness, will make the pearls look real.

Conversely, people tend to assume pearls are real when worn by wealthy or influential women. The famous 3 strand pearl necklace worn by Jackie Kennedy, and Barbara Bush's large pearl multi-strand choker, were fakes made by Kenneth Jay Lane.

Very high end pearls worn by someone whose overall look (clothes, shoes, bags, hair etc.) isn't similarly high end will tend to be assumed to be fake, I think. A few blemishes, a bit of off-roundness, will make the pearls look real.

Conversely, people tend to assume pearls are real when worn by wealthy or influential women. The famous 3 strand pearl necklace worn by Jackie Kennedy, and Barbara Bush's large pearl multi-strand choker, were fakes made by Kenneth Jay Lane.

How fascinating! I just read up on both of those strands and how people used to prefer the Czech Glass pearls over organic pearls because the science of culturing wasn’t advanced enough to produce perfect specimens. I wonder how much of that was the mid century cultural preference to have everything look extremely perfect... white eggs, white bread, etc.

I have really very little interest in large round pearls. They can become so large that , as Pattye said, they look like beads.And I find Baroques and light circles more interesting... and I love drop shapes. If I was ever to get a WSS strand for myself it would be baroque or drop. However, I do like round studs !
You are so right about the high end! I have seen south sea strands for 50k or more. Sometimes I will go to parties and see women wearing strands which I know must be of this quality level but you never get close enough to them and they never stand still long enough for you to ogle them! (How dare they, right? It’s not like you can look at your own pearls while you’re wearing them, so slow down and let me admire, lol!)

I just don’t know if I’d ever get into anything gem quality for that reason... because I don’t think most people would have the chance to appreciate them and I wouldn’t be able to look at them other than in the jewelry box. I guess I’m looking for the magic strand that is a happy blend of everything I want. Roundness, size, color, luster. I don’t mind a few blemishes, I actually think they are a very bold statement. A slightly blemished but beautiful pearl announces itself, “I’m real!” And I think they are more likely to spark the interest of others and create conversation.

What has been your experience?

While I love seeing round white SS pearls on others who wear them well, like Katbran I favor baroques, circles and drops. They suit both my wallet and lifestyle better and the chubby drop shapes can be so darn cute! :)

This is my strand, Cousingigi:

Attachments

• baroque WSS with purple top 640 x 480.jpeg
    baroque WSS with purple top 640 x 480.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 47
My favorite as well, especially in WSS ... big fat dollops of whipped cream, every one a unique work of art produced in the sea by a living creature, even with a head start by man! Lovely strand Pearl Dreams :)

Thanks Cathy!

I saw a freeform baroque WSS strand a few years ago in Greenwich at Betteridge that made my heart stand still. So did the price tag ($16K). I wish I'd taken a photo.

While I love seeing round white SS pearls on others who wear them well, like Katbran I favor baroques, circles and drops. They suit both my wallet and lifestyle better and the chubby drop shapes can be so darn cute! :)

Oh how beautiful! I am going to try to find one to try on. Maybe I will come to ruckus and see everyone’s fabulous pieces!

Thanks Cathy!

I saw a freeform baroque WSS strand a few years ago in Greenwich at Betteridge that made my heart stand still. So did the price tag ($16K). I wish I'd taken a photo.

Sounds about like my taste, unfortunately.

So beautiful! Thank you for sharing with me! I love them!

Back