Pearls from China

Hi,

In this case 8k means they will probably write 8 times the letter k on your invoice. If eBay sellers rate their pearls AA it means Alcoholics Anonymous rejects, if they rate them AAA it means rejected as giveaways by the Automobile Association of America. Any more As just mean worse. You are not going to get an heirloom strand of pearls for your money with akoyas. However, you will not get better in a department store either. You will get an even worse deal at Mikimoto or Tiffany. Akoyas are a waste of money. Also keep in mind that sellers from Hong Kong in particular and Asia in general list their retail comparison prices in Hong Kong dollars. Always check on www.xe.com for the current exchange rate and include shipping charges in your total. Since misrepresentation is rampant on eBay never bid more than 5% of retail comparison price as properly converted.

The only way to get any kind of deal on that is to bid lower than the scrap value of the clasp after figuring in shipping costs. At US$51.00 current bidding plus US$25.00 for shipping it is already above that level. You will not get a better deal anywhere because the pearls are going to wear out within 10 years or probably much less even if you or your wife, whatever the case may be, only wore them once in a blue moon. Even buying actual Mikimoto pearls will not change that fact. If you are looking for real value for your money I strongly advise against akoyas.

Zeide

The text for these pearls says
This genuine triple strand genuine South Sea pearls necklace are measures approx. 6 mm - 6.5 mm in size.

This is not possible. I don't think the SSP people put beads that small in their huge scallops. Therefore the sellers are lying.

Also $25 in shipping from China is double the going rate. Therefore the sellers are cheating.

All in all anyone who sends these folks money for this necklace is being stolen from.

Lying, cheating, and stealing, it is a wonder these people stay in business. I wish they had a button to eliminate seller from China, I would use it when I look at eBay pearls.

Hi Caitlin!

You'll be surprised to know that South Sea pearls in 6.5-8mm range are being cultured in the Philippines specifically for Japanese buyer/s and only few are being produced.

Although the small South Seas are not available locally, some undrilled ones do get in the local market once in a while on a per piece basis and never on strings.

However, the price is definitely higher than akoya pearls.

Still, the necklace posted on e-bay is most likely akoya since 6.5-8mm South Seas are not really "commercial" and most probably cultured on a per contract basis. Moreso, to make a 3-strand necklace, that would take a lot of pearls! :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

The few small South Seas I've seen have characteristics of the usual, big South Seas, meaning, more "water" than akoya instead of that metallic sheen, with bumps, pits, and most tend to be baroque. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
All other elements aside, their own description is a dead giveaway that you shouldn't buy from them:
"$8K 20"/21"/22" 3 STD WHITE AKOYA PEARLS NECKLACE...
This genuine triple strand genuine South Sea pearls necklace are measures approx. 6 mm - 6.5 mm in size."

So what are they, akoya or South Sea? Either the seller doesn't know or they simply performed a copy-and-paste from someone else's auction. Either way, avoid this like the plague.

The line right before the above quote says: "AS YOU NOTICED OUR PICTURES & DESCRIPTION ARE VERY CLEAR & HONEST..SO BID WITH CONFIDENCE !!!" :eek: :confused:

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Thank you all very much for your input. I'm glad I did not win that auction!! :) Make it a great day!

perlas said:
You'll be surprised to know that South Sea pearls in 6.5-8mm range are being cultured in the Philippines specifically for Japanese buyer/s and only few are being produced.

The same thing has been going on with White SSP's for a long time. These pearls are popular in Japan, especially in graduated strands. But you almost never see them here in the US, nor see them in ungraduated strands.

By the way; thanks for pointing out that auction. I had not been keeping tabs on eBay sellers for quite some time. V-Pearls had an entire section in every one of their auctions lifted from Pearl Paradise. After ignoring my requests to remove our pictures and content I let eBay know that it was done without our consent. You will notice that V-Pearls now has no listed actions. One down, 2000 to go.

Hi Perlas! Are small SS pearls sold at a shopping mall in Manilla or are they all Chinese freshwater pearls?

Karen

Hi Caitlin!

I am surprised! But you are also saying that they would probably not make it to eBay, so they were lying, cheating and stealing anyway.

Jeremy- Now they finally got shut down until they came back under a new name. Wow. Makes me get a kind of 60 Minutes feeling. Good for you.

jshepherd said:
The same thing has been going on with White SSP's for a long time. These pearls are popular in Japan, especially in graduated strands. But you almost never see them here in the US, nor see them in ungraduated strands.

I just wonder why the heck they want small South Sea Pearls? I don't get it. The difference with Souths Seas and akoyas is that South Seas have more "water". But freshwaters can easily beat that.

pearltime said:
Hi Perlas! Are small SS pearls sold at a shopping mall in Manilla or are they all Chinese freshwater pearls?

Karen

No they're not. They're sold at Greenhills (actually a mall but the set up is like an airconditioned market) and by pearl traders in Mindanao. Booths in Greenhills may carry better quality pearls than in malls. Tahitians, South Seas, Freshwaters, Akoyas, Mallorcas, Plastics - all sold side by side.

Caitlin Williams said:
I am surprised! But you are also saying that they would probably not make it to eBay, so they were lying, cheating and stealing anyway.

Yes. They will unlikely make it on eBay even if it's eBay, Japan (possible but still very unlikely)!. If you ask me to buy a strand of small South Seas for you right now, I'm unable to get one. Around 3-5 pieces will make it locally at a given time, probably sneaked by a farmer. I have seen 3 pieces of 7mm golden South Seas from Mindanao but they are not perfect rounds. Probably rejects from the Japanese specification.

Who knows? Some small South Seas may just be products of experimentation.

hi pearltime!

there are some areas in mindanao that are dangerous for tourists but not all. however, the southern part of mindanao where the pearl farms are located are dangerous areas. some expats do stay and visit mindanao for iron ore and pineapple (dole and del monte) businesses.

you are right. lava is slowly flowing out of mt. mayon located at southern luzon. we have problems with some tourists who are trying to watch the volcano explode. lol.

to give you an idea of the philippines, it has 7,107 islands (7,106 during low tide) and for me to fly to mindanao, i'll spend as much flight time and money as when i go to hongkong.

perlas said:
hi pearltime!

there are some areas in mindanao that are dangerous for tourists but not all. however, the southern part of mindanao where the pearl farms are located are dangerous areas. some expats do stay and visit mindanao for iron ore and pineapple (dole and del monte) businesses.

you are right. lava is slowly flowing out of mt. mayon located at southern luzon. we have problems with some tourists who are trying to watch the volcano explode. lol.

to give you an idea of the philippines, it has 7,107 islands (7,106 during low tide) and for me to fly to mindanao, i'll spend as much flight time and money as when i go to hongkong.

Wel, I know Perlas but if you survive your trip to Mindano you'll get much better prices for SS pearls.:D

Ebay Item #5053507920

Ebay Item #5053507920

What do you guys think about this listing? It's for 4 AA+ White FreshWater Pearl 9-10mm for $15.99. Based on what I'm seeing on other pearl web sites (from this forum) that seems extremely underpriced. The seller has a 99.9% Positive feedback rating and I would assume there would be lots of negative feedback if they were selling fakes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4x-AA-Huge-Whit...hZ004QQcategoryZ36587QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Appreciate your insight.

PearlNewbie

Hi PearlNewbie--
I have bought various items-mostly pearls and beading gems and supplies on ebay. I would ask the seller if the pictured strand is the one the pearls are coming from. Sometimes they have a generic pic they reuse. I am not familiar with this seller. The pearls are off round, more rondelle, so even though the luster seems nice, they arent as valuable as round. Find out if they have any circles. None appear in the photo. Do you have a gauge to check the size if you order them? I have found some sellers fib about the size. Based on the amount, 4 pearls (measuring probably slightly less than 1 1/2 inch), the cost for a whole strand, approx 15 inches, would be approximately $160.00. That is not inexpensive. However if you only want the 4 pearls for special project, the investment isnt bad and the shipping reasonable. As far as the sellers feedback, it appears they have had a number of multiple sales, or repeat buyers, because the actual number of members who left a positive is much smaller than their total positive feedback. So I would ask the seller a few questions, and if you feel satisfied the pearls are substantially like the photo, and they are just what you are looking for --go for it!! Others will no doubt have some suggestions too.
Patricia Saab

EDITED: link to wrong seller.

*oops thanks for that save

I am not sure how you got to that feedback rating you linked there, but the seller in question had over 15,000 positive feedbacks from buyers. The rating that you pulled up was from one of that seller's customers, so it is no big surprise that this buyer had no sell ratings.

Zeide

Akoya pearls

Akoya pearls

G'day everybody,

This is my first post, even though I have been following your posts for some time.

I operate a fish farm in Botany Bay, Sydney, Australia which has also trialled Akoya pearls as per. Port Stephens (not far away) recently.

I am currently finalising a plan to produce pearls, however the marketing plan has taken some time to complete.

We have a healthy local / tourist part to the marketing plan, however if we do decide to export the best of the crop which is our best option.

How do we compete with the chinese?

Looking forward to your valued comments, (www.s-b-a.com.au)

John HEDISON said:
How do we compete with the chinese?
Hire chinese people :D

I am no expert in this field, but since Botany Bay is encircled by heavily urbanized zones, I thought pollution would be an issue. There's also the airport and the Caltex refinery right on the bay...
Do P. maxima grow in this region of the world? Isn't the water too cold?

Hi Patricia
Your analysis at the top of the page was very good. Go sraight to Pearl expert. Do not stop at Member ;)

Hi Newbie
Actually I think those pearls are quite over priced. Breaking up a strand is a trick that gets one lot more dough per strand. The only possible reason to buy them would be if they really are 9+mm as that is a hard size to buy, but I still would hate to pay for 4 pearls at a time!

Back