Duties & Taxes Entering USA, from Thailand or China! HELP!

Frost Me

Duties & Taxes Entering USA, from Thailand or China! HELP!

What can one expect to pay in duties and taxes etc. when receiving a strand of pearls or small pearl packages from Thailand or China when entering the United States? I am not talking bulk buying. I think it?s based on the value and item, and I would think your State. So far, not much luck from FedEx. Help from anyone with recent or past experiences, and what those charges totaled I would appreciate.

Hi Frost Me,

Recommend you do a search for "IMPORT DUTY CALCULATOR" on the web. You enter the country and type of goods. For some items, there won't be any duties or tax. As far as I know, the state won't make any difference. It is complex, for sure, so I wish you the best.

If the pearls are unstrung, there will be no duty IF the shipper puts the proper wording and/or code on the customs documents.

If the pearls are loose, they should write:

Cultured Pearls Loose: 7101.22.6000

If the pearls are all in hanks, they should write:

Cultured Pearls Temporarily Strung for Transport: 7101.22.3000

You may have to pay a small brokerage fee depending on the method and carrier, but no duty will be levied.

Also, if the pieces are finished, the duty is 5.5%. If the seller does not include the word "cultured," you will be charge something like 3-4% because customs will assume the pearls are natural.

The duty will really depend on your communication and the experience of the seller.

Pattye, Pearlescence, Pearl Dreams Thank you for your information, I appreciate it!

Jeremy, Thank you for taking the time to respond, I will take this information and send to the vendor, I really appreciate your experience and input! This really helps. :cool:

There is sales tax in California and most other states, but it is imposed by state and local governments at the retail level. In other words, if we sell products to someone in another state, they pay no sales tax. If someone buys pearls from us in California for resale, they pay no sales tax because the purchase is wholesale.

In CT we have a Use Tax equal to the Sales tax. The idea is to support local businesses by not making it cheaper to buy from sellers in other states, and also (obviously) to raise tax revenues.

When filing our state tax return, we are expected to voluntarily pay the Use Tax on items we have bought tax-free from other states.

Mind you, everyone needs a calculator in Connecticut (6.35%) the only good thing about 20% is that you can do the sum in your head

Back