Pearl Tie Rings

smetzler

?an apparently time-honored but currently-ignored idea with rare appeal to men.

In a recent thread I introduced the writings of Louis Kornitzer to Pearl-Guide. After reading The Pearl Trader I acquired copies of his subsequent works, Gem Trader and The Jeweled Trail, both highly entertaining.

In The Jeweled Trail Kornitzer recounts his usage of a rare jade ring too small for his finger as a 'tie ring', adding that in any case he never wore finger jewelry.

As a pianist barely accustomed to my wedding band after 25 years, I am of a like mind. Here you have my pride and joy Hiti Tangata, in what may be its ultimate calling.

Attachments

• HitiTangataTieRing(1).jpg
    HitiTangataTieRing(1).jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 29
I suspect that you will be shopping for complimentary ties! Great idea. :cool:

GemGeek: Yes, I think some elegant plain-pattern ties are in order?

Pattye: Safer location, and double-usage bang for the buck.

Miriam: Thanks for the nod. I think this will fly in Tucson in February!

Ring sellers/designers: Now you've got the ball!

I like the look and clever use of the ring. I am thinking ties with texture or slightly thicker material will hold the ring in place better. Smooth silk ties may be too slippery and as a result, the risk of loss is higher. JMHO.

Oooh! This is one really great idea! I think quite many man who would not want to hear anything about man necklaces (pearl on cord/leather etc) would consider wearing tie rings. Great idea!

Maria

Edgy and old-school at the same time: love that. Even Kornitzer would approve.

Thanks for bumping the thread, Adi - I hadn't seen it until now.

Steve, as someone reknown for leaving rings lying around on pianos, I love it!!

?as someone reknown for leaving rings lying around on pianos, I love it!!
The ring won't get scratched and neither the piano!

(A trial opportunity looms in Tucson in a couple of weeks. I think they even have a piano.)

Nerida, anything to get people to talk about wearing pearls, men included. When I saw the thread I recalled my great-uncle who was very dapper and wore a pearl stick pin, hat, and gloves. Women swooned...which was something of an issue for his wife. ;-) Will try to find a photo in the archives.

I'd love to see a return to elegance! I think this is a great place to find it. Steve, keep it going! BTW, very much enjoyed reading about the creation of the brooch and your talents as a pianist. This is certainly a diverse and multi-talented group of pearl devotees!

Back