Paying for jewellery setting using paypal

EileenK

I normally get an invoice from my jeweller via Paypal and I am happy to make payment that way.

However, I have another jeweller who has simply asked me to send money via Paypal. I have just returned this evening and was about to do this again (I have used this jeweller's services before and he has lived up to the orders I placed, so no complaints there) when I read that in terms of protection, I have very little, in fact, none.

This new purchase is for a pearl to be set into a ring.

I am wondering if others pay via Paypal (you are protected some) or send money via Paypal (zero protection should the transaction go wrong) and perhaps you have further insight into this before I decide what to do.

It would be interesting to hear from the seller's point of view.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

I'm not a seller but I have some experience with sending (and receiving) money with PayPal.

The seller could send you an invoice through PayPal. This is the most straightforward way, IMO.

If the seller asks you to initiate the payment, you should know that there are 2 ways to send money with PayPal. One way carries protection; the other does not.

1. You can send money to "friends and family" . The recipient pays no fee to receive the funds, but there is no buyer protection for the sender, since this method is not supposed to be used for purchases. This is what I'd use to make donations, or to send money to a friend in need, or a family member, or to transfer funds to my husband's PayPal account for any reason. But not to buy anything.

2. You can earmark the payment "for goods and services"-- in other words, you are making a purchase, and you expect to get something for your money. This carries some protection if you don't get the item you paid for. The seller has to pay a fee to PayPal to get money this way. (Last time I checked it was 2.9% plus 30 cents for domestic payments; a different rate applied to international transactions.)

I have known people who were selling their personal things to ask their buyer to pay via "friends and family" in order to avoid paying the fee. Not only does this cheat PayPal of fees it is entitled to, but it also cheats the buyer of his or her buyer protection.

The only way I would pay someone via PayPal is by using "for goods and services." I would also indicate on the note exactly what you are buying.

Last edited:
I have used PayPal for purchasing various items from various portals and I always do business transactions via "goods and services." Like PD, I also write in detail what I'm purchasing.

I'm not a seller but I have some experience with sending (and receiving) money with PayPal.

The seller could send you an invoice through PayPal. This is the most straightforward way, IMO.

If the seller asks you to initiate the payment, you should know that there are 2 ways to send money with PayPal. One way carries protection; the other does not.

1. You can send money to "friends and family" . The recipient pays no fee to receive the funds, but there is no buyer protection for the sender, since this method is not supposed to be used for purchases. This is what I'd use to make donations, or to send money to a friend in need, or a family member, or to transfer funds to my husband's PayPal account for any reason. But not to buy anything.

2. You can earmark the payment "for goods and services"-- in other words, you are making a purchase, and you expect to get something for your money. This carries some protection if you don't get the item you paid for. The seller has to pay a fee to PayPal to get money this way. (Last time I checked it was 2.9% plus 30 cents for domestic payments; a different rate applied to international transactions.)

I have known people who were selling their personal things to ask their buyer to pay via "friends and family" in order to avoid paying the fee. Not only does this cheat PayPal of fees it is entitled to, but it also cheats the buyer of his or her buyer protection.

The only way I would pay someone via PayPal is by using "for goods and services." I would also indicate on the note exactly what you are buying.

Thank you. I will ask the seller. The jeweller, I wish to reiterate, has provided excellent services that I could not possibly fault for now. However, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

If buying from anyone in the EU you are covered by EU law on selling over the internet (no quibble returns for full refund)

It took me a few times of selling some of my items online to realize that I need to bump up my price to include the PayPal Goods & Services fee, and then ask the person buying to use that feature instead of Friends and Family. It's only a few dollars, so the vendor should be able to absorb this amount in their profit on the item.

Ditto what everyone else said re: using the goods and services type of payment. Personally, I'd ask the seller to send an invoice, though.

I'd never use bank transfer either, EU or not. The existence of a law doesn't ensure that a seller will obey it, and who wants to have to go through a legal process to obtain a refund?

Also I agree that sellers should include the fees in their selling price. It's part of the overhead.

I wouldn’t advise using bank transfer. It is quite difficult to get your money back if the seller/service provider refuses a refund. You can do a chargeback but it’s not always successful. Then that leaves you to pursue the matter in civil court. Stick with PayPal goods and services. Not all sellers are as honest as they may first appear. Much less drama that way.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t advise using bank transfer. It is quite difficult to get your money back if the seller/service provider refuses a refund. You can do a chargeback but it’s not always successful. Then that leaves you to peruse the matter in civil court. Stick with PayPal goods and services. Not all sellers are as honest as they may first appear. Much less drama that way.

Exactly. At least if you have used Paypal, you can easily raise a dispute and get the money back through a third party. With a TT, you have to deal with the seller. And the seller who shouts louder to put pressure on you might get their way.

I will add this: I think it's best to fund the PayPal payment with a credit card, as opposed to PayPal balance or checking account. It gives you another layer of protection to get your money back.

Because funds in your PayPal account will per force be used first, this is one reason why my husband and I would use "Friends and Family" option to send money to each other-- to bring our PayPal account down to $0 before making a purchase.

I will add this: I think it's best to fund the PayPal payment with a credit card, as opposed to PayPal balance or checking account. It gives you another layer of protection to get your money back.

Because funds in your PayPal account will per force be used first, this is one reason why my husband and I would use "Friends and Family" option to send money to each other-- to bring our PayPal account down to $0 before making a purchase.

Yes, definitely. A credit card is always good for added protection.

Everything sold, no matter what the situation. So sale items def covered. Only exceptions are things like knickers and earrings - intimate wear stuff or stuff made especially for a commission
By the way, I only mentioned TTs to make the point that for the buyer paypal is free. TTs cost

Everything sold, no matter what the situation. So sale items def covered. Only exceptions are things like knickers and earrings - intimate wear stuff or stuff made especially for a commission
By the way, I only mentioned TTs to make the point that for the buyer paypal is free. TTs cost

Thank you, Wendy. And what is the period covered for the refund? Within 14 days?

Back