Paua Heaven

SteveM

This thread follows travel (ostentatiously for business) referenced in the Pinctada Maculata thread.

Following our meetings in Wellington we drove five hours up the wild west coast of New Zealand’s North Island to the surfside village of Oakura in the shadow of Mount Taranaki (Mt. Egmont), New Zealand's most spectacular and under-visited national park.

Our objective was the studio of Rob and Denise Wright of Moana Gems/Ringcraft Jewellery. Rob has been goldsmithing since he was 15, and knows everyone and anything about the business, his fantastic creations the subject of innumerable ‘oohs and ahhs’ here at Pearl-Guide. My fascination with abalone pearls, close on the heels of our discovery of poe pipi in the Cooks, had led me to the Wrights, from whom we had carefully selected the freeform abs used in the ab/pipi lapel pin that most frequently serves as my avatar (THIS thread details its design and execution).

On arrival to the studio we were greeted by a display of the US, Japanese and New Zealand flags, as Nozumi (HopePaua here at Pearl-Guide and the Wrights’ Japanese importer) was also visiting. Rob’s coincidentally-named manager Denise (‘NZ Natural Pearls’) is shown with Nozumi.

Awaiting us was an incredible display of paua pearls, from grain-sized points of color to immense 100-carat-plus pieces that would grace the display of any museum in the world.

Standing guard were the Wrights’ ever-vigilant Siamese, whose aggressive affection and purrrring had to be resisted for each and every close-up obtained…

Attachments

• Visit1.jpg
    Visit1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
The Wrights have the unique ability to predictably and sustainably recover paua pearls. Most importantly, recovery goes well beyond the large baroque pearls, resulting in a predominance of the smaller free-forms. Extremely versatile, freeforms also offer an infinitely greater color surface area per carat than the giant baroques—and at trade pricing over US$300 per carat this is a consideration of critical appeal.

Just prior to our arrival, Rob had the idea to begin distributing these rare jewels into approximately 5-carat diamond packets, in a random mix of colors, shapes and sizes. Upon random inspection, each packet was more tantalizing than the last.

Attachments

• Visit2.jpg
    Visit2.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Two 5-carat ?abalone packets? opened at random. Anyone care to choose a favorite (left or right)?

Attachments

• Visit3.jpg
    Visit3.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 41
Not to ignore the giant baroque category! This incredibly elegant 40-carat elongated horn was pre-selected by Rob, having read my earlier Pearl-Guide thread on the keel-shaped H. Fulgens pearl we named ?La Catalina? (sourced by Jeremy Norris and acquired at Pearl Paradise). Rob sees this Paua pearl as a possible outrigger for the pearl version of a Polynesian seafaring Vaka (catamaran). We immediately began discussing the design, which would incorporate a Black Lip shell for a sail. H. Fulgens from the Eastern Pacific and H. Iris from the Western Pacific, joined by P. Margaritifera from the Cook Islands?symbolic of the Pan-Pacific Polynesian migration.

This project (as well as La Catalina) has been locked away awaiting the right pearl, the right artist and the right moment.

?La Catalina? meets Rob Wright meets ?Outrigger????

Attachments

• Visit4.jpg
    Visit4.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
As an aside, Rob showed us a saltwater mussel shell someone had sent him from New Zealand’s South Island. The shell is polished, complicating identification. Hopefully someone here at Pearl-Guide will be able to help.

The shell is hefty, with a very thick nacre layer, suggesting a rapid rate of nacre secretion. Given the incredibly attractive and fashionable color, high iridescence, and supposition that tissue-nucleation and multiple-grafting might be possible, commercial application would seem a natural.

The abalone pearl is ‘Outrigger’ from the previous post.

The last photo below show's Rob’s bolo tie, with 13.5ct abalone horn and two SS keshi, titled ‘One for the Cowboy.' Caitlin, I took one for 'the team' and this is now MINE!!!

Attachments

• Visit5.jpg
    Visit5.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Two 5-carat ?abalone packets? opened at random. Anyone care to choose a favorite (left or right)?

The packet on the right for me, more blue and silver tones that I like :D

DK :)

Steve,

A great adventure, thanks for sharing! Love the bolo, guaranteed to make your eyes look bluer, and contribute to scintillating conversation! Look forward to more close up photos later. As for the packet of abalone, the one on the right for me also, please!

Rob's outrigger project sounds challenging-----------

What a treat! I hope you'll have time to share more in the near future. ;)

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I like the right picture also. They are so gorgeous.

Oooh, that dark blue drop in the right is amazing. Dark blue and dark purple pearls are magic-- they make a heavenly akoya look anemic by comparison. But that's why there's 7 days in the week, no? Thank you for sharing! :D

I really enjoy your travel reports. I vote for the packet on the left, but they are both lovely. Outrigger is awesome!

Wonderful posts, thank you for sharing your travels. I am quite partial to those small free-forms. Like laurenb, I am taken by the blues in the right packet.

Thanks for the comments. Unanimous so far regarding the color range of the two packets of free forms! Admittedly the packet on the right has more immediate appeal. Rob may be well advised to do a less random selection, or indicate a general color range on each packet since the they are to be offered randomly on an equal quality basis.

But just a little experience suggests that the colors can surprise, the lighter, shinier greens often popping out more intensely than the blues in many settings. I believe green is somewhat rarer, too. There is also the synergy of complementary colors that Pattye pointed out in this post.

Thanks for the comments. Unanimous so far regarding the color range of the two packets of free forms! Admittedly the packet on the right has more immediate appeal. Rob may be well advised to do a less random selection, or indicate a general color range on each packet since the they are to be offered randomly on an equal quality basis.

But just a little experience suggests that the colors can surprise, the lighter, shinier greens often popping out more intensely than the blues in many settings. I believe green is somewhat rarer, too. There is also the synergy of complementary colors that Pattye pointed out in this post.

Very good point about the colors and surprise. Once a single pearl is moved away from the pack and allowed to "breathe" in a setting, a pearl with good quality surface will do quite subtle, yet noticeable and surprising things.

the Wrights, from whom we had carefully selected the freeform abs used in the ab/pipi lapel pin that most frequently serves as my avatar (THIS thread details its design and execution).

I've always meant to tell you how much I like your avatar, but just saw this thread from when it was made and the close-up photo of it. Simply gorgeous.

Steve,

Is Rob absolutely sure about the source of that shell? It sure looks a lot like some of the Mississippi watershed FW MOP shells that I have. They have very thick nacre as well. Is it as pink as it looks in the photos?

Last edited:
Steve,

Is Rob absolutely sure about the source of that shell? It sure looks a lot like some of the Mississippi watershed FW MOP shells that I have. They have very thick nacre as well. Is it as pink as it looks in the photos?
It's pinker. I assume Rob and Denise will be looking in on this thread and will comment. We agreed that I would post, exposure as US FW mussel would be as helpful as not!

I see. Mine are pinker than the photo as well. Curiouser and curiouser. . . I'll see if I can dig them out and post some photos. Also--the shape of that shell in your photo is not congruent with any salt water mussle shells that I have seen or know of.

Marcus,

You have a good rapport with the Wrights (saw your pendant while there?great!) and a mutual interest in shells. Why don't you put your heads together and let us know what comes of it? Could be a new thread would be best.

Back