Pastel Tahitians

JP, I just received my batch of pastels from Jacques, as well!!! I got 9-10 mm, and decided to get another batch of 10mm to make a rope. Only thing is, I've got to learn how to do this!! I felt the sooner I order, the sooner I'll learn. Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 37
Just GORGEOUS!!

I Thought about adding some 13-14mm pistachios throuout the rope but still not sure. I needed to have my pearls fully drilled.

Can't wait to see what you do with your luscious pearls!!

Can't wait to see your final projects. They look wonderful
I'm keen do a strand of pastel / light mix.
Any chance either JP or Imgarden has a strand of both?
If yes can I please trouble a side by side photo. I'm keen to see the difference in colour.

Can't wait to see your final projects. They look wonderful
I'm keen do a strand of pastel / light mix.
Any chance either JP or Imgarden has a strand of both?
If yes can I please trouble a side by side photo. I'm keen to see the difference in colour.

Here ya go...while not side by side, here are some photos, they are pastels, blues, and finally light mix. Pastels have more pinks and goldens; blues are just that...lovely sky blue; and the light mix has whites, greens, blues, and silvers. IMG_3545.jpgIMG_3439.jpgIMG_2821.jpg

JP thank u. That's exactly what I needed to know the difference!

I came across this necklace in hk. I have a couple of days to decide if I'll buy it. It's a super light mix of tahitian. Of course when I showed it to my hubby and a friend who lives in hk. They both said it looks exactly like my multi colour strand I have from Jac. (It's so different! IMHO )

Thoughts?

Pic left in light box
Pic right under florescent light

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1469229535127.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1469229535127.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 34
Lmgarden- very very pretty pearls !! And more to come ...when they arrive ..more photos please!!!

JP - lovely pearls ..I love the comparison photos . Very helpful !

Kalmen22- well. .. First of all I Think it's very pretty.
Now let's get practical. What is the purpose of this strand ? Another single strand necklace ? Add it to your Jac pearls for a rope ? How do the costs and sizes compare ? Because while we all may be able to look at two light strands and see a world of difference , as you have found with your friend and husband ..most other people cannot. So ... Most people will assume they are both the same necklace .

I can see getting it if it's nicer and better priced than Jacs ....then use it as your necklace strand and use Jacs in different projects . BUT , and this is just my personal point of view...if I was going to just get a second necklace ..id get something,that is VERY different in colour...or shape ...or size...or any combo of those attributes than my existing one.

Last edited:
Katbran
I know what u mean. You kindda hit the nail on the head.
I was thinking if I could make it into a strand and with orbit clasp create a rope. The size of this strand is 10-12. My current multi coloured is 10mm.
Pricing wise it's usd 1250. It is pretty much blemish free.

But I would also want to one day own a mixed gold and white ssp, think about a pistachio strand. And get me some 5-6mm bright gold and intense blue akoya (which Erin at pp is looking out for me and I was told possibly in the Sept fair).
As my hubby would say is it worth the 1k plus of difference.

Or maybe I'll be better off getting some loose pearls in this colour and make a bracelet and can use it as an extension to my current necklace?
Darn these light colour tahitians - why must u look so good.

Kalmen! That's a buuuuutiful strand! Price is good for that size & blemish free. If you get this one, perhaps you can make a winter/summer rope a la Newberry! You can have the connect in the middle with orbit clasp which sits pretty like decoration, and you can have the multi or light in front pending on your mood & season?

we all honestly have way more pearls than we need and have lots of repetitions. But pearls are uber easy to rework - the moment you feel bored with you, chop it up and mix it in with something else! Again, a la Newberry, look at the recent reworks she had done with Sarah at Kojima and how different those came out!

I know this isn't helping much, but I guess it boils down to budget vs priority on the wishlist!

Thanks for showing us pics of the pair you found JP! It's a beautiful color.

Thanks Jac...there are actually a few that are nice matches...however this pair are perfect!

kalmen22, that is a gorgeous strand of pearls, and I would be tempted as well. But I think you have raised some great points...what else don't you have that you still want? The bottom line here, there isn't really a bad option. Did you bring your pearls along for comparison?

And Purr too makes a wonderful point: the ability to pull out particular colors. It looks like there are a few green/pistachio pearls in that HK strand. You could always hoard them for another project!

I am no different from the rest of the ladies here. We just cannot have enough pearls. :)

When I decided to make another Tahitian 18" short strand, I made it different enough from the current one I owned and I also used the same clasps so that I could connect them together to make one long strand. That way, I get much more use out of them than if they were stand alone necklaces. Lots of ladies here already do that because it makes a lot of sense. Here are pictures of my two main T strands. The one intertwined with keshi are pastels, the other are multicolored Tahitians. The clasp isn't anything special other than it was a design I was looking for and could not find in gold or silver, so it is plain gold colored metal. But it was the exact look I wanted and works well. Both ends come off and so I can easily fit the ends to each other, place them anywhere on the necklace, or connect them to another ring or source (like a pendant). I just love how versatile they are. Perhaps you can make something along those lines or get matching clasps on your necklaces so you can wear them in more than one way. Or maybe purchase the necklace and if you like the pearls but think it is too similar to your current one, restring them or make a tin cup/earrings, bracelet, or other pieces. Making your own jewelry is really a lot of fun. It really boils down to how much you like it and how much you'd wear it. My daughter, who has a couple of Yurman pieces, always tells me that because she wears them every single day, the cost per day is less than a penny and getting lower every day.

DSC06936.jpgDSC06943.jpg

Hi all, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Truly that's what I love about this community.
And I'm sorry if I have changed or hijacked the conversation. I figured we are pastel lovers.

Jp I did bring my own necklaces to compare. Attaching pic taken under florescent light. Top is my ombre strand, bottom is my multicolor and middle is the strand in consideration. Under florescent and with my poor photo taking. They look similar. Don't they.
PhotoGrid_1469319130754.jpg
Purr you read my mind about the summer winter. Except I only have summer in Singapore. Haha. But yes that was one of my ideas. I did think of pulling out a couple to make either a single pendant or if there are 2 maybe a pair of earrings.

Amti: thank u for sharing your pics. I love how your added keshi to yours. And you are right. Now that I know how to string my pearls and basic wire wrapping I can always switch out and change things ard.
By the way, love your clasp. Where did u get them?

The vendor also sent me more picture. Taken by the window.
I've put it together with other tahitians to alao helo me compare.
Top left strand in consideration, top right multi tahitian. Bottom left silver, Bottom right ombre
3-way dangling pearl earrings

Thank u all for sharing your thoughts. It helps to have u guys to bounce ideas and thinon things through. Thank you !

Pics below.

Kalmen, all are gorgeous. I think they have distinct differences. Personally, I don't think you're duplicating. So many possibilities with all strands in your stash!

Kalmen, this might not be helpful, but I think all three strands are totally unique. The strand under consideration is significantly lighter in body color. To my eye, totally different strands! The price on the light body strand is certainly a good one, given there are not many flaws! The pearls are nicely round and have a nice satiny luster...maybe not quite as sharp as the other two, but certainly nothing to poo-poo! If it were me, I would have it around my neck.

Back