Opinions please (exotics, part one)

B

boo

I am still waiting for my gold findings to arrive, so I started playing around with my silver today after work. I had planned to make a silver necklace using the partial strand that will be left over after I do the YG necklace. However, as I was playing around and holding the pearls against my wrist, I was overcome with the desperate desire to keep them as a bracelet so that I can admire them without carrying a mirror with me everywhere I go. I remembered the thread about Steve's Manihiki keshi where folks discussed making the bracelet a removable part of the necklace. So I added magnetic clasps to the rounds, filled in the front with the drops I have remaining after making my earrings and pendants, and I think I like what I see. I would like your input however. I really want these pieces to be special and if the magnets are too jarring in the flow of the piece, I may just keep the bracelet and save the flower connector for the baroque Tahitians I will eventually get. (The center drop is a Tahitian, which may or may not be swapped out for an exotic dangle - the YG necklace will have an exotic dangle for certain, and I am not sure if I will have any drops left over after I finish distributing to my friends and family).

This is a very rough draft - I plan on attempting to learn to use gimp on these pieces, so the magnets will be connected with gimp to the pearls (therefore there will not be the added distance between pearl and magnet that the bead tips add). The pearls are just strung, not knotted, and the stringing job is loose, so some of the spacers are a bit tilted but still - I think you can get the idea. The magnets sit up at my shoulders which I think might help make them a bit more inconspicuous.

Attachments

• necklace1.jpg
    necklace1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 30
  • necklace2.jpg
    necklace2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 29
That is just gorgeous with the silver flowers! And I love the idea of having a removable bracelet! I may use that idea some time. :)

I don't think the magnetic clasps are a problem at all-- you can hardly see them from the front, and it's not as if they were large anyway.

I think it's absolutely gorgeous! The clasps seem to add to the design anyways. What spacers are you using? I'm not creative, otherwise I'd take up beading too.

The necklace is beautiful, and the magnetic clasps seem purposeful in design: they provide a transition from drops to rounds that might otherwise seem abrupt. I hope you will also post a photo of the bracelet as it looks on your wrist.

Positively gorgeous! Jeremy -- Look out! The lowly beader's ain't so lowly any more! The bracelet idea is excellent. I understand your concern with the magnetic clasps, but it truly isn't founded. Yes, design-wise, they aren't anything to right home about. But in that design they are perfect. Anything more ornate would detract. Don't you just love it when you think you're going to go in one direction and before you know it, you're off in a direction you never dreamed of and the results are better than you ever hoped for?

Last edited:
I'm sitting here comparing your temporary strand exotic post with these lovelies. I don't know where my head was, but I just realized you got drops too! You'll take pics in the daylight, right? Color explosion!

I just had a thought. With the next private offer (next private offer, how presumptuous of me) anyway, next time, he could include a roll of paper towels with each order. :)

I just had a thought. With the next private offer (next private offer, how presumptuous of me) anyway, next time, he could include a roll of paper towels with each order. :)

Knotty Panda: you really made me laugh!:) I love this forum!

Boo: that is a beautiful and very original design!

Cheers,
Pernula

Really clever idea, to say it myself. It looks great! But since it?s magenetic, wouldn?t the necklace kinda fall off the bracelet part easily? If you get what I mean? Maybe misunderstanding something.

I remembered the thread about Steve's Manihiki keshi where folks discussed making the bracelet a removable part of the necklace.
Boo, really striking ensemble and I look forward to following its conclusion. Multiple use for special pearls has great appeal.

Regarding our keshi bracelet, after many exchanges and ignorant albeit provocative suggestions by yours truly, the bracelet's maker is going to provide on spec a second keshi bracelet as the proposed back side of a choker. Will update on the 'Cook Islands Keshi Bracelet' thread when received. The magnetic clasps used are rated (and shown in the jeweler's catalogue) holding a bucket of oranges?

There's an old-world elegance about your necklace. The soft finish of the flowered centerpiece makes a great counterpoint to the glow of the pearls. I wouldn't change a thing -- it's stunning! ;)

I agree - it is a lovely composition. I'm wish I knew something about beading - I'm feeling the urge more and more after seeing the lovely work the "lowly beaders" are performing (obviously not lowly at all!).

The magnetic clasps used are rated (and shown in the jeweler's catalogue) holding a bucket of oranges?

Can you give a link to the clasp? It really doesn't need to hold a bucket of oranges. Just one, rare and beautiful bracelet/choker. Thanks!

What a genius idea to use a magnetic clasp to attach the bracelet to the necklace and use it as an extender. Could multipurpose pieces be the new trend in jewelry making? Has anyone seen anything like this before? Very smart.

Boo,
The necklace is beautiful; clever, clever you. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. The magnetic clasps do look very much part of the overall design.

Boo, that is really fantastic looking.
Didn't you make pearl shoes?

Boo, a wonderful combination of silver and pearls, in a terrific design! You've got us all thinking about versatility! Keep us posted on how the magnetic clasps work out. They look just fine in the necklace.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi Debbie,

very beautiful design, don?t change anything. Clever to have the bracelet "built in".:)

Wow <blush> you are all too kind! Thanks for the support - I will keep the design just as it is.

I have used these magnets before for a number of pieces and they haven't failed me yet. There is some extra weight from the connector and larger pearls, but I think since it is spread out over two sets of magnets, the strain on each set is halved and should be okay. They certainly feel secure (I have tried the magnets on some larger pearl strands in the past and abandoned them because I could feel a weakness in the magnetic attraction when connecting the halves, but I do not feel that with these). Having said that, I would be very interested in learning more about these "orange bucket" magnets (which I believe has become their unofficial new name around here!)

Danae, the spacers are 5mm ss twisted rings. Wild onion, here is a photo of the bracelet. I was surprised at just how darned difficult it is to take a photo of your own wrist! These are the colors as seen indoors at night (although the lamp does use full spectrum bulbs) Do you see why I couldn't bear to hide them away on the back of my neck all the time?!?

Attachments

• bracelet021908.jpg
    bracelet021908.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 40
Back