Opinion: 24G v 26G for Wire Wrapped Pearl Necklace

MSC

Natural Pearl Lover
I'm not sure which gauge to use, there are pros and cons with each gauge. While 26G offers lightness and is less costly for gold, it is less robust for wear. Whereas, 24G is more costly, but would probably hold up better to a lot of wear, especially if there's a snag situation. I would be wrapping 3-4mm natural pearls, which makes me want to go with 24G, but my bank account doesn't really want to hear it!

What say ye?

Now are you wire wrapping an entire necklace a bracelet? Are you wrapping components that will be attached with chain, or will dangle from a chain or something?

No components or chains, just the wrapped pearls to make a necklace.

Sigh, I think I was trying to convince myself that I could go the "discount" way :rolleyes:

Now are you wire wrapping an entire necklace a bracelet? Are you wrapping components that will be attached with chain, or will dangle from a chain or something?

All great points, ladies!

I probably wouldn't wear the necklace out in the field. Then again, I forgot to take off a pearl necklace last week and doused it in bug spray without even realizing it till I went to take a shower later that night...

I'm planning on using 14kt white gold wire because it will contrast with the golden color of the pearls.

Not sure if they'll take 24G, haven't tested them yet, but I would hand ream them if need be, if I go with the larger gauge. And I would make the eye very small.

I only want to do one coil around the eye, so perhaps that would work with the lighter gauge.

Andrea,
I feel you could go with the 26 gauge in white gold. White gold is slightly stronger than yellow gold, and forming the loops will work harden the metal. Even if the holes are small the 26g will most likely fit. Agree that 1 wrap will be enough and I'm certain you will tuck the ends well.

Keep in mind the color of the white gold...some white gold wire actually looks like a very light yellow gold, especially when next to gold or brownish/earthy tones. I believe Rio sells a wire with palladium which makes a brighter white.

I've never worked with white gold before and haven't seen the two types side by side, but maybe it's time to have a look online. A grey-er white gold was exactly what I was thinking of to contrast against the warmth of the pearls. Time for the google machine!

This was the best comparison photo I found via google. Looking at the photo below, I think the palladium white gold actually looks warmer than the unplated 14kt white gold...

I chatted with Riogrande's reps and they said there was no color difference between their unplated 14kt white gold wire and the 14kt palladium white gold wire.

white gold v palladium white gold.jpg

Very timely and helpful, Andrea ... I've been chatting with Rio myself, considering special ordering some clasp components and maybe in white gold, of which I have nearly ZERO experience ... so confusing. Speaking for myself, I love option #2 ... but I lean toward the yellow and rose golds always, so my opinion is very biased LOL.

Cathy, I usually lean towards the yellow and rose holds too. I've been thinking about putting in a very small order of both white golds to see the comparison in person. If I do I'll be sure to post photos!

Oh, Pattye, it bugs the heck out of me when manufacturers done tuck the wires! So sloppy!

The project I'm planning (mostly still in my head LOL) is silvers/blues/teals, and really sort of demands a cool color finding ... not easy for me!

I must have mixed up my wires, because I thought the palladium was a whiter gold than the regular 14k white...in any regard, you can also have the wire plated in rhodium. I wonder if there are any comparisons to white gold, rhodium plated white gold and palladium gold.

Back