Need help with freshwater pearl purchase

J

Joanie

I am so confused! I figured out that white freshwater pearls are the type that I want. I'm looking for a long necklace about 60 inches and I want round pearls. A serious low budget so I was looking on ebay for a deal but it is to hard to comparison shop. Are their ebay vendors I can trust? I live in the country so I need to buy online. Any ideas appreciated. Help!!! If anyone looking for the same thing maybe we can work together.

Last edited:
Hi Joanie and Welcome!

Hope we can help you sort through the online vendors to buy the necklace of your dreams at a great price! I'm sure you'll be hearing from other members here also.

A number of trusted online vendors located in the US are members here at P-G. They deliver pearls that meet the quality they describe and have generous return policies. The pearls you receive will look like the photos

Most of the ebay vendors use a stock photo for the pearls they sell, ship from China and the grades are not well explained. You may receive a necklace that looks quite different from the photo you see on their website. It is a hassle and expensive to return pearls to China and get your money back.

I'm not certain what your budget range is, but a 60 inch necklace is the equivalent in pearls of just under 4 strands, so if you are hoping to find a bargain necklace at 60 inches for much less than what the vendors I've listed show who have extremely good prices, it will be:

1. less round, often with rings, rather eggy shape or oval pearls,

2. have more blemishes and probably be a commercial grade pearl rather than AA or higher,

3. be less well matched for size and shape than what you will get from the listed vendors.

4. most important, will not have the beautiful LUSTER you want your special necklace to have.

The Pearl Paradise site shows how good freshwater pearls can be.

If you want round pearls over nugget shape pearls, oval pearls and ringed pearls, a purchase from any of these 3 vendors will give you a necklace you'd be proud to wear!

Please let us know what you feel about these choices~

Last edited by a moderator:
THANK YOU!!!!! I will do some more snooping around now that I have your feedback. You guys are the BEST.

Now I am thinking that I will save up for a better pearl rope. To wait is difficult! Thanks again.

here's a deal, i've actually bought this very rope (I realize it's not as long as you're looking for) three times, once just to see what it was really like, and twice for gifts. oh, it isn't super-nice, but it is actually a pretty rope that you can loop 2-3 times, and strong enough to withstand a bout of playing with by a pair of 6 year old boys. :) plus, worn full-length, your friends who know nothing about pearls will be SO impressed! so until you get your really nice necklace, this one might tide you over and whet your appetite for some really nice pearls:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350143838159?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Hi Joane, juliebeth's find is a good deal. I checked the site and they offer to customise so you could get them to make up the length you want. Really can't go wrong at that price. No need to wait while you save up. They look like good pearls especially for that price. A bargain.

juliebeth, thank you for loving my eBay site and pearls. Much appreciated.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Hi Joane, juliebeth's find is a good deal. I checked the site and they offer to customise so you could get them to make up the length you want. Really can't go wrong at that price. No need to wait while you save up.

... except she specifically said she wants round pearls. Those are a good deal for what they are, but not at all what Joanie was looking for.

Hi Jeremy,

These could be a stop gap until she saves the money for the better round pearls she really wants. 60 inch top, round pearls are not going to be around $30 as these would be. I am sure they would give her the urge to get the round pearls later. Who can stop at one necklace :)

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Most of us want what we want and don't want "stop gap, settle, to make do." I felt and it seems Jeremy did also, that Joanie had a clear idea of her special pearl necklace, and no matter how ok the baroque pearls (my favs) might be for the money, they aren't what she wants. It's not like Joanie would have to save up thousands to get what she requested, so let's be respectful of her desires.

Right. I first wanted the pearls in the NYC girl movie that Carrie wears. I have wanted them long time. But now I want even longer - LOL.

We intro'd a necklace and called it "The City Strand" after that movie came out. We did it for a month as a special, and to date it was one of the most successful monthly specials we'd ever done.

I didn't even see the movie:eek:

Back