Help NEEDED! What kind of pearls?

zcoogler05

I am attempting to identify the type of pearls I have here. I can include the size of pearl (mm) if necessary. It has a “fish hook” style clasp with a 14k stamp on the clasp itself, along with a hallmark of some sort that I do not recognize. Any help is appreciated!

Help NEEDED! What kind of pearls?Help NEEDED! What kind of pearls?Help NEEDED! What kind of pearls?Help NEEDED! What kind of pearls?

Please let me know if there is anything I can add to the post in the form of information or images! I am brand new here and could use the help more than likely! Whatever is needed to get some information on this item is what I will be more than happy to provide if someone will just let me know! Thank you!

The fishhook clasp is generic and likely the mark is that of the maker of the clasp, not of the pearls.

I see French wire (that little coil) used to protect the thread where it meets the clasp; this is usually not done with imitation pearls, so likely you have genuine pearls.

A common test to see if they are genuine pearls or imitation: Rub them against the edge of your front tooth, or rub one pearl against another.
Real pearls feel gritty when rubbed this way, while imitation pearls glide smoothly (if they are clean; if grimy, there may be a bit of sticky resistance.)

If they feel gritty, likely they are cultured pearls.
If they are also completely round, likely they are akoyas.
If they are at all egg shaped, then likely they are freshwater pearls.

Pearls are best evaluated when photographed against a white background, and in focus. Also it helps if some of the photos are closeups (especially any pearls that have surface blemishes) and also at least one photo showing the entire necklace.
How long is the necklace?

The fishhook clasp is generic and likely the mark is that of the maker of the clasp, not of the pearls.

I see French wire (that little coil) used to protect the thread where it meets the clasp; this is usually not done with imitation pearls, so likely you have genuine pearls.

A common test to see if they are genuine pearls or imitation: Rub them against the edge of your front tooth, or rub one pearl against another.
Real pearls feel gritty when rubbed this way, while imitation pearls glide smoothly (if they are clean; if grimy, there may be a bit of sticky resistance.)

If they feel gritty, likely they are cultured pearls.
If they are also completely round, likely they are akoyas.
If they are at all egg shaped, then likely they are freshwater pearls.

Pearls are best evaluated when photographed against a white background, and in focus. Also it helps if some of the photos are closeups (especially any pearls that have surface blemishes) and also at least one photo showing the entire necklace.
How long is the neckl

I really appreciate your help very much! It is 30” in length. I am going to take additional images and also get the information mentioned in your response. I do know that they are not egg shaped of any sort. And, the pearl itself has this fine “sand paper” feel to it when slightly rubbed together

Back