Need Details on White Pair & Black Pair of Pearl Earrings

W201

Hey guys- can someone help me determine what region these pearls are from, if possible at all? I plan on selling these and trying to find out exactly what I have. The only thing I know is that they are real, they feel gritty. I have some doubt about the black pair, they do feel a bit smooth.

And other information that can help me determin value would be gaily appreciated.

pearl_black_0.JPG

pearl_black_1.JPG

pearl_white_0.JPG

pearl_white_1.JPG

Last edited:
Try loading the images directly on the forum. The links you posted did not come though.

The blacks don't look like real pearls. Due to the similarity of the settings, that could make the whites suspect as well.

Do you know what the sizes are and what the metal is?

2.3 milimeters 14k yellow gold. Is there another way to test them for authenticity other than a scratch test?

I used a caliper, but I took the measurement wrong, they're actually closer to 7mm. On the inch scale they're 1/4 inch in diameter.

Well, at least I know they're akoya pearls. Thanks for your expertise!

I seriously doubt either one is a real pearl. They look like Trifari's a brand name that is worth something, but does not use real pearls and is goldtone or silvertone. These are vintage designer faux or fake.
the link goes to a similar pair on eBay. The ones you have are very similar to Trifari's signature look. they could be vintage, 50's-60's

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...ls&_ipg=200&_osacat=0&clk_rvr_id=322781036624

Above is a link for Trifari pearl earrings. You will see they have endless variations on the theme youe have. Those just don't look like cultured mabe pearls to me.

I seriously doubt either one is a real pearl. They look like Trifari's a brand name that is worth something, but does not use real pearls and is goldtone or silvertone. These are vintage designer faux or fake.
the link goes to a similar pair on eBay. The ones you have are very similar to Trifari's signature look. they could be vintage, 50's-60's

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...ls&_ipg=200&_osacat=0&clk_rvr_id=322781036624

Above is a link for Trifari pearl earrings. You will see they have endless variations on the theme youe have. Those just don't look like cultured mabe pearls to me.

Caitlin- Not that I doubt your expertise, but a few things worry me- why would someone go trough all the trouble of setting faux pearls in 14K gold? Doesn't it make more sense to get ahold of a low quality pearl? The low quality variety can't be horribly expensive, just recently heltzberg diamonds gave away a free set of fresh water pearls to my fiance.

Pattye- yes, they're stamped 14K gold. If you look closely on the side-shots, you can barely make it out.

pearlescence- Not a law student. I'm a vintage car guy. W201 is a designation for a car chassis made by Mercedes Benz :)

Last edited:
W201,

Yes, now that you pointed it out, I can just see the 14K.

Well, as the mountings are 14k, the white are probably cultured Akoya pearls. There is a slight difference in the color, which happens with pearls. Imitation pearls would look exactly the same. Those are call "love knot" style, and were popular around 60's. I had some similar.

Couldn't figure out what the surface ripples were on the black pair, but now I am looking again and see window blinds! I am wondering if they might be black onyx rather than pearl, since they are so black, and by your test, smoother than the white pearls. Black onyx would have been set in karat gold.

Back then cultured Akoya pearls were relatively expensive, and cultured freshwater pearls like your fiance received weren't available at all.

Does the black look more like a stone?

Last edited:
Ha! thanks...learn something every day. w201 is also the designation for a year long law course from the UK's Open University (criminal and constitutional law)

I disagree that they're Trifari & goldtone - the quality and finish is so much nicer. Those settings look like worked gold to me. I wonder whether the black is onyx or obsidian, and the pearl pair are real pearls?

Interestingly, I have a Victorian pin that is 13k gold - but the "sapphire" is blue glass (and original apparently). It's not unknown for paste to be set in lower-content gold, so a semi-precious stone could well qualify!

Pattye- I think you're right on the money about the blacks being black onyx- I researched other examples on ebay and they look strikingly similar to mine. And to answer your question, they do feel like a stone rather than a pearl. With a tooth test, if feels more like a hard marble than the soft grittiness of pearls.

Hi pearlescence- I learned something new as well.

Mary Montepezat- I really do think the whites are real, considering all the information I've read from this thread. For example, the tooth test seems to pass. The set is not perfectly identicle, there are slight variations in coloration and very slight variations in size as Pattye pointed out.

Well, I think I learned everything I needed to know. Just one last question- what kind of value estimate could I place on the white pearl earrings? Assuming they're real and vintage. I feel comfortable making those assumptions. I'll leave out the black set because they're not genuine pearls.

Back