Nautilus pearl

There is hardly any mention of pearls in all the current literature.
Insatiable curiosity matched only by my impatience has served to push this thread forward despite lack of any proof that Nautilus pearls even exist. But we must assume that as a living thing, in like manner to Nagasari Trees, the Nautilus occasionally produces concretions, in this case calcareous?nacreous or non.

The historical shroud of mysticism surrounding Nautilus Pearls can no more clearly be restated than via the following message received today in a continuing effort to acquire specimens of scientific interest:
?for the nautilus pearls I was see from the old person in the island he have 1pcs nautilus shell oval shape like 21.75ct and structure flame same like that one and its very long time was found with his self and we can trust him and he told me only lucky people found the nautilus pearls and it?s mystery.
I will of course ask Professor Ward upon meeting about any undisclosed hoards he may have accumulated!

It's always possible that someone would save them as curiosities. I'm having a hard time picturing "hoards", though! ;)

This is a very intriguing thread.

The occurrence of pearls in bivalves or gastropods is well known, but pearls from cephalopods isn't.

The attached image shows a pearl concretion I found in the mantle of an Octopus dofleini. (Giant Pacific Octopus) in 1983.

The animal was most certainly involved in a fight with a fish, eel, or other animal, having right three and four completely severed. To a male, this must have been quite emasculating, because right three has the hectocotylus at the tip, which is necessary for reproduction. The pearl was located above the healed scar, slightly toward the mantle.

Most cepalopods are ephemeral and pelagic, as opposed to the sedentary longevity of it's relatives. However, the life span of a nautilus can reach 20+ years, which begs the question, why do pearls not occur more often?

Although speculation, it is reasonable to assume the incidence of parasitization is much lower than species habituating within the benthic region. The nautilus was once believed to be a living fossil, but recently, most science has debunked that theory. It's no secret though, cephalopods are highly evolutionary creatures. Survival as a species is undoubtedly attributable to their resilience in predation and non-mutual synbiotics.

Whether nacreous or calcarious is a moot point. Any pearl from a nautilus would certainly be a very precious find.

Good luck to those in your quest.

Attachments

• octopus01.jpg
    octopus01.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
The attached image shows a pearl concretion I found in the mantle of an Octopus dofleini. (Giant Pacific Octopus) in 1983.

How... how would these animals produce round free-floating concretions? Does the mantle retain shell-making capabilities although O.d. has no shell?

Last edited:
Whether nacreous or calcarious is a moot point. Any pearl from a nautilus would certainly be a very precious find.
The octopus concretion (yes, PEARL) is an amazing find, thanks for sharing. This goes to my prior point that concretions are an anticipated anomaly in all living organisms as a protective reaction to irritation.

It's the scientific community's inability to identify a Nautilus pearl that continues to baffle us here. Undoubtedly the skittishness of the animal itself has something to do with this.

The duality of the Nautilus, creating non-nacreous chamber septa (equivalent to the interior bony structures of non-shelled cephalopods) and delicately nacreous outer shells, is the utter fascination and cause for speculation here.

I have been in touch with leading cephapodologists (sp?), directors of major aquariums across the US and none has encountered a pearl.

And on it goes!

I have the same question as Valeria,
How can it be that a tissue different from the mantle or bone secret a calcium concretion?
Does this kind of cephalopod has claws in their tentacles?

Hm... 'guess I need to explain where that odd question came from in the first place.

I'd dare suspect that the particular octopus might have some hidden talents because most of his relatives make shells anyway. Yes, it so happens this species does not, but what are the odds some function remains with a reduced, subtler, occasional use... or no use at all, just possibility of being triggered by injury? It is still a swiping statement, surely [of the kind I hate undergrads for, blessed be...]

Also trying not to loose sight of the big jump between Nautiloidae and the rest. It so happens there's a single thread for all cephalopods here... but otherwise, who knows what these odd birds [hic!] have in common when it comes to pearl-making, if anything.

what are the odds some function remains with a reduced, subtler, occasional use... or no use at all, just possibility of being triggered by injury?...

My thought, as well. Some atavistic mechanism must have been activated to create the pearl in response to the damage much like humans experience when calcification occurs after joint injury. :cool:

How can it be that a tissue different from the mantle or bone secret a calcium concretion?
Some clarification from Lagoon Pearls may be required:

The pearl was located above the healed scar, slightly toward the mantle.
Thanks.

Thank you smetzler, I misunderstood the meaning of mantle in cephalods, I researched a bit and now I got it.

Some clarification from Lagoon Pearls may be required:Thanks.

I'll try. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I am neither a marine biologist nor a hematologist. However, I can give some background of my experiences.

In the early eighties, while I was a deepsea diver harvesting geoducks and red sea urchins, I had some involvement with an octopus study conducted by Simon Fraser University. The lead professor was Dr. E. Brian Hartwick, Associate Professor of Marine Ecology.

http://www.sfu.ca/biology/faculty/hartwick/

Although I never met Dr. Hartwick, I did live under the same roof as the biologists. The study was two fold in the study of the seasonal migration and growth rate of O. dofleini. Most days, the crew would embark the research vessel and proceed offshore from Tofino, BC, where long lines were strung with recycled tires. The animals were sexed, weighed, tagged and released.

Likewise, and area locally known as MacIntosh Rock, on the north west side of Vargas Island was designated as an octopus research area. During this period, harvesting of marine animals was prohibited in the area, to allow divers to capture and re-capture denned octopuses. On a few occasions, I was contracted to dive. The information gleaned from re-captures was valuable because it clearly demonstrated the rapid growth of these animals. A few animals were retained and observed, by giving them known weight and volumes of food and measuring the recovery/waste ratios. I could go on forever and a day about the intelligence of these animals, but let's get to the point of the quote.

I returned to the study area after the research concluded. I needed an octopus for a special occasion with friends. (You haven't lived until you've eaten my curried octopus) Almost immediately, I encountered an ideally sized specimen for my culinary exploit. I stuffed the animal into my goody bag, then collected a few sea urchins and some rock scallops in another bag, for a sushi presentation.

When I got home, I put the octopus in the sink to prepare. It was then I noticed the animal had not only one, but two missing legs. Right three and four were completely severed. There was also a noteable scar in the skin extending past the gill opening (about 4 inches) and into the mantle. While disecting it at the scar, my knife contacted the pearl. It was located roughly 3/4 of an inch from the end of the scar, at the mantle side. There were about a dozen visible circular lesions nearby, below, but within the skin. They were whiteish bumps, but did not contain pearls. They were soft masses.

The injury would have been near-fatal in this animal or even fatal in any other. It's likely the animal found shelter or inked itself to safety, not a moment too soon.

We all know, octopus are green blooded animals. The base atom being copper, as opposed to iron in vertibrates. Their blood contains hemocyanin, instead of hemoglobin in red blooded species. Blood vessels in the viscera of the octopus are innervated by nerve fibres containing catecholamines. This suggests that cephalopods, may be capable of regulating their peripheral vasculature by central neural control. Octopus are indeed visibly moody creatures, no less masters of deception.

The urine of the octopus, has been subjected to a qualitative analysis for different elements. Ammonium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, zinc, arsenate, bromide, chloride, fluoride, phosphate, and sulfate, are present in detectable amounts. Again, I'm no hematologist, but I do understand in humans, elevated numbers of cells such as erythrocytes (red) and leukocytes (white) are factored during inflammation. In cephalopds, the hemocyanin is dissolved in the plasma instead of being bound in red blood cells. Hence giving rise to more questions than answers when it comes to the immunology and regeneration of tissues in invertibrates. Unfortunately, the study did not involve experimental changes in blood chemistry resulting from trauma, which might have provided some answers to the question before us, this day.

Clearly, any environmental or physical stress or combination there of, can affect the blood acid-base balance in most creatures. This anomaly was likely a combination of multiple etiological factors. Far too many for a layperson like myself to explain with any certainty.

Nautilus Blister

Nautilus Blister

Hi Everyone,
This is a shell recently offered to me showing a nacreous blister from Nautilus. Just another piece to the puzzle.

Attachments

• nautilusblister1.jpg
    nautilusblister1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 42
  • nautilusblister2.jpg
    nautilusblister2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 38
  • nautilusblister3.jpg
    nautilusblister3.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 36
Blister?

Blister?

Hi Everyone,
This is a shell recently offered to me showing a nacreous blister from Nautilus. Just another piece to the puzzle.

Hello, All,

Hats off to Jeremy Norris!

Now...acting the contrarian...is that a blister pearl or a ridge of nacre initiated by a worm? Is there a distinction?

Happy 2010 to all!

Tom

Incredible developments!

Lagoon Island: Great background. And I also love octopus, Pulpo a feira, the Galician specialty, among the great delicacies of the Spanish table.

Jeremy: Yes, congratulations. To me the location of your blister serves to strengthen the dual biominerality (biomineral duality?) angle, as one would assume a blister on the leading outer shell portion, where the shell's core structure is secreted, would be nacreous. The location of the blister pearl from my prior post, near the septum, would argue for non-nacreous composition. Following H?ctor Acostas' observation that location near the septum would be cause for the pearl or blister not immediately being lost to sea upon ejection from the sac (or decomposition of the dead mollusk), non-nacreous would still appear to be the most likely composition of discovered and offered Nautilus pearls.

I hope that Ken Scarratt will get a look. GIA Bangkok is now in possession of the prior non-nacreous specimen.

Last edited:
... one would assume a blister on the leading outer shell portion, where the shell's core structure is secreted, would be nacreous.

Perhaps the next question could be whether pearl sacks and detached pearls of this kind are possible at all. Is there any known to date?

Back