Nautilus pearl

A polished Pompilius

A polished Pompilius

With simple abrasive tools available near the Equator, locals polish away the outer non-nacreous layer to expose the beautiful nacreous layer inside. It is probably the thinness of the non-nacreous layer that allows an unusual amount of crystalline formation from the deeper layer to mix in, and that makes the Nautilus pearl the most flamboyant of all pearls.

This photo shows a Nautilus where is has been abraded down to nacre on as many surfaces and the worker can reach. Under a loupe, abrasion marks are easily seen.

Tom

Attachments

• Nautilus interior of polished shell.jpg
    Nautilus interior of polished shell.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 43
It is an enigmatic shell, and the thin inner prismatic surface must be related to the nautilus's intermittent construction of the septa (walls between chambers).

But there is still no evidence of how a Nautilus pearl is formed, or in what part of the animal. I've got one diver swearing that the pearl is only found in dead shells (interior chambers) and another insisting that they are found in the live animals, in the gonad or mantle. One says the 'tiger stripes' (flame) is essential, the other insists that luminescence/translucence is the key. No one yet has produced an actual shell in which a pearl was found?or better yet, a pearl attached to the shell.

I have also offered two further examples in this thread of shells with nacreous components (Lola/Trochus Niloticus and Pinna Nobilis) that produce non-nacreous pearls ('Lola Pearls', like Nautilus, not as yet verified independently as far as I can tell). What about these?

Dr. Vincent Barbin's groundbreaking 1990s work on shell mineralogy using Cathodoluminesce spectroscopy (CL SEM) actually focused in one amazingly coincidental study on Nautilus Pompilius and Nautilus Macromphalus (a smaller cousin) and their THREE shell layers (outer, nacreous/structural and inner/prismatic), demonstrating that the Manganese profile was consistent through the three layers, and distinct between the two subspecies. Makes it awfully tempting to believe that CL SEM technology could be used to identify pearls from this shell, or any other.

Prof. Barbin, whose work was to become seminal in robotic soil analysis done by the Mars landers, answered my query just this morning saying that while he had done work on pearls, not enough data existed as yet to be able to discuss determining their species origin by this means.

Work to do!!

Pearl and shell

Pearl and shell

No one yet has produced an actual shell in which a pearl was found?or better yet, a pearl attached to the shell.

Actually, I have one from an Argonauta that has its original shell.

Tom

Ken Scarratt, Director of GIA Bangkok/Southeast Asia mentioned numerous times in this thread, stopped overnight in Seattle for an early morning tea and 'Nautilus Pearl' discussion prior to rejoining his prior itinerary. Needless to say, it was an incredible honor meeting one of the world's greatest pearl experts under such one-on-one circumstances. Mr. Scarratt is the model of transparency and selflessness, and his pursuit of this esoteric pearl a pleasure to witness.

While I can claim to have some experience with Nautilus pearls, no one has seen more purported specimens than Ken Scarratt. So it was encouraging following his inspection of our little collection that at least three of the pearls passed visual as 'likely.' But per my surmise quite a few posts back, these were predictably the smaller and more translucent examples.

Other labs' problems with the nacreous/non-nacreous issue are easily dismissed for reasons already exposed here, i.e. that the Nautilus includes significant non-nacreous shell structure. Furthermore, following extensive study and shell dissection Mr. Scarratt has determined that nacre deposition only occurs in the final shell chambers, when the mollusk is an adult. In its early life, the shell is non-nacreous. And the relatively short life of the Nautilus (5 to 10 years) practically dictates that the pearl begin forming in the adolescent non-nacre-secreting animal.

Major problem: A pool of specimens with reliable provenance, both authentic and pretender, needs to be built. Manganese profiling, whether by CL SEM or other means, would still require sampling the pearls, degrading their potential value. A pool of samples of sufficient quantity would hopefully include some 'ugly ones' that would make suitable candidates for sacrifice.

Regarding future certification via reliable scientific means, this seems to be quite a ways off and we shouldn't be holding our breaths. But this thread would continue to provide a great service in helping to build the specimen pool and collective experience.

After our serious discussion, we took pleasure in showing Mr. Scarratt our poe pipi pieces, as well as Pteria Times Two.

An incredible way to begin the day!

Attachments

• Scarratt-SeaTac1.jpg
    Scarratt-SeaTac1.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 36
I am so proud of you and your impact on natural pearldom. You are getting to the heart of it!

As always, waiting for the next chapter. I am doing yoga so I won't hold my breath until the mystery is revealed.

Steve, you are really impacting on everyone's knowledge base. It is fun to be a bystander!

Thanks all. Just trying to bring this to some sort of resolution by ascertaining exactly where science stood on the issue, in the absence of alternative disclosure. My pursuit stems directly from involvement in this community, so it is natural that it be shared.

I do think we're getting somewhere! But while it is ill advised holding one's breath on the matter, the mystery retains plenty of potential plot twists to keep us turning the pages?

My Opinion

My Opinion

Thanks all. Just trying to bring this to some sort of resolution by ascertaining exactly where science stood on the issue, in the absence of alternative disclosure. My pursuit stems directly from involvement in this community, so it is natural that it be shared.

I do think we're getting somewhere! But while it is ill advised holding one's breath on the matter, the mystery retains plenty of potential plot twists to keep us turning the pages…

Dear All,

It seems to me the question of whether Nautilus pearls exist should be acknowledged as settled. Historical records exist going back more than a century. I've got one and the shell from which it came. And the photos I posted clearly demonstrate the interior of a Nautilus shell has non-nacreous features.

Turning to the debate between natural pearls and "Non-bead nucleated" cultured pearls, Stanford University Linear Accelerator has an "atom smasher" that creates the perfect type of radiation to image the interior of a pearl. I have seen images of similar material. While micro-CT is able to see inside pearls, the particle beam is faster and has far greater detail, so I believe micro CT is obsolete.

Sincerely,
Tom
Best regards,
Tom

It seems to me the question of whether Nautilus pearls exist should be acknowledged as settled. Historical records exist going back more than a century. I've got one and the shell from which it came.
Tom, it would add tremendously to this thread if you could share images of the shell showing possible irregularities associated with the pearl's formation. Short of that, are you aware if the pearl was extracted directly from the living mantle, or from an interior chamber of a live or expired shell? Thanks.

It seems to me the question of whether Nautilus pearls exist should be acknowledged as settled. Historical records exist going back more than a century. I've got one and the shell from which it came.
Need to remain cautious here. My take after reviewing everything available on Nautilus pearls (and more): It can only be acknowledged that non-nacreous (in addition to or in lieu of nacreous) Nautilus pearls are a possibility. There is no scientific corroboration, and none anticipated anytime soon. Sworn statements and anecdotes are helpful, but certainly not objective.

It is essentially a matter of faith. I am a believer, as is Ken Scarratt, as is Tom. But purported Nautilus pearls can have no value beyond the aesthetic (which is considerable in superb examples, albeit as specimens for collection and not as jewelry) until such time as their authenticity is confirmed by more than one accredited gemmological lab.

I would need to agree with Dr. Hainschwang of Gemlab in Leichtenstein that we remain handicapped by "the severe limiting condition that no single Nautilus pearl was found attached to the mollusk."

Last edited:
I would need to agree with Dr. Hainschwang of Gemlab in Leichtenstein that we remain handicapped by "the severe limiting condition that no single Nautilus pearl was found attached to the mollusk."

Does he also agree that such a specimen is (very nearly) physiologically impossible?

Nautilus Blister pearl

Nautilus Blister pearl

Dear All,

What an excellent idea. We have a new pearling vessel to be christened in 6-8 weeks. I will ask my men to find a Nautilus with a blister pearl inside. That should end doubts.

Regards to all,
Tom

Adding to the collective Nautilus experience, an example that has been offered to us today, following 20 years in a private collection.

Unfortunately, and consistent with Nautilus pearl legend, little or no provenance is available. What CAN be said is that such pearls are rare treasures and family heirlooms.

Who needs a certificate?

Attachments

• Photo-0361[2].jpg
    Photo-0361[2].jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 36
Possible Nautilus

Possible Nautilus

Adding to the collective Nautilus experience, an example that has been offered to us today, following 20 years in a private collection.

Unfortunately, and consistent with Nautilus pearl legend, little or no provenance is available. What CAN be said is that such pearls are rare treasures and family heirlooms.

Who needs a certificate?

Nice pearl, which I've seen before, and perhaps a Nautilus. Without a certificate, I would identify it as a nice white conch, or as an unidentified mollusk. But it might be a Nautilus, and is a strong enough specimen to be worth putting it to the test.

Best regards,
Tom

That should end doubts.
I have no doubts. I'm on board 1000%.

But until Nautilus pearl ID can be established scientifically, value will be in doubt. The commodity will be immeasurably enhanced the day that a second independently verifiable certificate is issued.

We are also reminding the local spotters on a daily basis of the need to find a Nautilus shell with evidence of pearl formation.

Back