Nautilus pearl

Nice pearl, which I've seen before, and perhaps a Nautilus. Without a certificate, I would identify it as a nice white conch, or as an unidentified mollusk. But it might be a Nautilus, and is a strong enough specimen to be worth putting it to the test.
No you haven't seen it before.

And which 'test' are you speaking about?

Natural Pearl

Natural Pearl

Hi Everyone.
I understand the great enthusiasm and I too like a mystery. Until I see something that more closely resembles the interior of the Nautilus shell I will continue to conclude that these pearls are from one of the many varieties of Tridacna. Enclosed is a picture of a Tridacna Pearl.

Attachments

• clam lores.jpg
    clam lores.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 46
Until I see something that more closely resembles the interior of the Nautilus shell I will continue to conclude that these pearls are from one of the many varieties of Tridacna.
And I'll continue sitting on the fence, while quite possibly adding to our tridacna collection from time to time?

Must also reiterate Tom's point above that the interior of the Nautilus shell does have that very thin coating of prismatic/non-nacreous material, related to the septa. Of course, that Nautilus pearls should be indistinguishable in most respects from a top Tridacna would not be a point in their favor. But that's the lifeblood of this thread!

No you haven't seen it before.

And which 'test' are you speaking about?

Hi,

Identical including fingers holding it to one shopped to me out of Indonesia. Very nice. The test is seeing if a lab will confirm.

Best,
Tom

Fingerprints will tell?thanks for the tip.

Lab certification is the other pillar of this thread (along with nacreous/non-nacreous), given the demonstrated lack of supporting science and nearly total reliance upon anecdote. Furthermore, submittal of anecdotal support for pearl ID goes against GIA's own submittal parameters, which specify to the effect that pearls submitted must be entirely without prejudicial labeling.

From all I have seen in photo and in person, singly and jointly with Mr. Scarratt, that pearl is as 'Nautilus' as any!

Natural Pearl

Natural Pearl

Hi Natural
Can you please take a Macro picture of the interior of a Nautilus shell exhibiting strong flame structure as seen on your pearl.

Dear All,

What an excellent idea. We have a new pearling vessel to be christened in 6-8 weeks. I will ask my men to find a Nautilus with a blister pearl inside. That should end doubts.

Regards to all,
Tom

That would be a remarkable find indeed! I hope your efforts bear fruit. ;)

Nautilus

Nautilus

Hi all
I agree with the opinion of mr.tom ... let him ask directly or jump directly to find a nautilus pearl , cause basically if we do not try to own we would not be convinced that it was a nautilus pearl.
but the crew I've proven that pearl nautilus existed and never found ..
and for mr.norris, i will send after the good picture you mean.
thanks
natural

Hi all
I agree with the opinion of mr.tom ... let him ask directly or jump directly to find a nautilus pearl , cause basically if we do not try to own we would not be convinced that it was a nautilus pearl.
but the crew I've proven that pearl nautilus existed and never found ..
and for mr.norris, i will send after the good picture you mean.
thanks
natural

Natural: Instruct all of your divers and shell sorters to be on the lookout for a nautilus shell with a pearl attached to the shell. When you find one, Inshallah, contact me immediately at DrTKStern@aol.com and I will send a man to your island to photograph it and to buy it from you.

Datuk Dr. Tom Stern

And the race is on!

Conflicting interests have converged to provide the critical mass required to move this thread from speculation to active pursuit. Natural, as he has indicated to me on numerous prior occasions, seems to be pretty confident he can come up with the goods.

The race for science

The race for science

And the race is on!

Conflicting interests have converged to provide the critical mass required to move this thread from speculation to active pursuit. Natural, as he has indicated to me on numerous prior occasions, seems to be pretty confident he can come up with the goods.

Dear All,

A race! Great! Now we have something happening!

Natural: I want a blister Nautilus pearl still attached to the shell...not loose. Read the instructions below very carefully.

The blister pearl could be anywhere inside the shell, so you have to let the meat dry, wash out the interior rotten meat with a water hose, then look as far inside as you can. Take a small piece of mirror and attach it to a stick so you can put the mirror far inside, then use a strong flashlight to try to see much further into the secret inside of the shell. If you see a pearl inside, carefully cut the shell open and keep the pearl on a big piece of the shell without cutting it off. Take photographs of the entire process.

My man can be to you in 6 hours. Three other diving teams are looking already, so you need to hurry.

You must send me a photograph of the blister before we fly to you.

All Please ask your diving contacts in Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Philippines to be on a mission to find a blister Nautilus pearl.

Good luck to all participants! A fantastic party in California's Wine Country will follow discovery and verification.

Datuk Dr. Tom Stern

hai all..
I wish in this month i can found it because only from florest island you can found it..

thanks
natural

I hope they do too. Are the pearls attached on the outside of the shell? I didn't think so. How many Nautilus will die in this hunt, this race? Is it worth it to have a slaughter? Why not wait with baited breath? It's a good excuse to do yoga.

I am interested, but I would hate to cause a plunder just to answer a question so that a money value can be attached to the proof of an ID and cause a run on Nautili (how do you spell the plural?)

All the little nautilus mermaids are crying. Do you hear them?

Nautilus

Nautilus

hi all
let's have a race to get what mr.tom want and I am sure that within a month I'll get in florest island ..
just pray for me ... thank, s
natural

I am praying it will be in the 1st shell. Can't the shells be xrayed and put back if there is no blister or other kind of pearl? I gotta drop out of this thread; it makes me sad.

Nautilus

Nautilus

Thank you very much caitlin..i will do it the best for all..

Sadness Unwarranted

Sadness Unwarranted

I am praying it will be in the 1st shell. Can't the shells be xrayed and put back if there is no blister or other kind of pearl? I gotta drop out of this thread; it makes me sad.

Caitlin,

The probabilities are too low for finding a blister pearl by new fishing. There are tall piles of dead Nautlius shells in many bodegas, and my men will search there. We are not going to take any additional animals in this search, at least not in my area. South China Sea has a huge backlog of dead shells, tens of thousands that were not of export quality.

Do not be sad, there will be no new death.

Best regards,
Tom

Instructions

Instructions

hi all
let's have a race to get what mr.tom want and I am sure that within a month I'll get in florest island ..
just pray for me ... thank, s
natural

Natural...go through the big piles of dead and broken Nautilus shells in your shops...that is where you can find it fastest...not in the water.

Datuk

Back