Mysterious Blue "Pearl" ?

CathyKeshi

Hi! Hoping for some opinions on what this mysterious blue pearly looking "thing" might be :) Found post Ruckus at ... (shhhhhh ... pawn shop) up in Hesperia. Yes, I know better, but it was like Riley in National Treasure ... "I don't know what you are, but I love you" LOL. The unmarked but custom looking setting tests as 14K gold, the blue "thing" is gritty, and about 12mm wide by 15mm long; in setting total length is about 22mm. It is a silver blue, but very blue at the top, with great luster, and rainbows of orient colors. Shape is lima bean, with a definite "better" side, and the very bottom has a lighter, smoother, whiter silver color although still nacreous and lustrous looking. All input (good, bad, ugly or "stay out of pawn shops LOL" most welcome!

MysteryPearl9RSZ.jpgMysteryPearl8RSZ.jpgMysteryPearl7RSZ.jpgMysteryPearl6RSZ.jpgMysteryPearl4RSZ.jpgMysteryPearl3RZ.jpgMysteryPearl1RSZ.jpg

P.S. in real life, the darker spots are much less noticeable, but the rainbows are very nice ... I'm a lousy photographer LOL.

That is very cool and clearly deserves its special setting. And stay away from antique shows if you want to control yourself! ;)

And stop saying you are a bad photographer - excellent pearl images! :)

Too funny, Blaire :) I'll take the compliment, but it took 50 photos and all day to get these ... NOT a productive use of time LOL!

Cathy, likely a natural color blue pearl, likely South Sea. I have a strand from 10 years ago I will be taking photos of soon. (I did wear it Sat night at the Ruckus) "Gas" pearls can be this color also. The custom setting is perfect; it just needed you to come find it! Great photos!

Oooh, Pattye, that's what I was hoping :) Wished I'd visited that PS before the Ruckus instead of afterward LOL.

Me too, and thanks Bailey1856 :) The first photo is the best "wearing" side ... the rest are to help with ID'ing the "pearly thing".

All I can say is "Love it!" and if I would have seen it I would have taken it home with me too. A great addition to your collection :)

That's what I kept saying in the pawn shop ... out of earshot of the guy :) I just kept thinking of that scene in that movie LOL. Thanks, Newberry ... wonder how it would look hanging from an enhancer bail, on blue Vietnamese strand ...

You've got a beautiful pearl there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Score! Very pretty & very unusual, Cathy! I'm always drawn to the blue pearls....

Thanks SunSeeker, BWeaves and Pearl Dreams! Lady_Disdain ... my next pawn shop adventure, I'm telling hubby I have your permission LOL! I usually don't go around here, but when traveling, once in a while ... New Mexico is a favorite spot.

Great pearl and a great piece, CathyKeshi. I really think that going post-ruckus helped you. It takes looking at a lot of pearls to develop your eye for the great luster and the unusual. I love that organic setting.

Well done!

Back