My Vietnamese Akoya Collection

CathyKeshi

A few have asked, so at their request, I'm posting photos of some of my Vietnamese akoya pearl collection. As I am so horribly bad at photography, and mostly hopelessly shy about selfies, these are vendor shots. I do think in all cases they represent the pearls very well. I didn't start out to collect Vietnamese akoyas ... it just sort of ... happened ... and it's probably not over LOL.

from Hisano at Pearl Paradise, our queen of V. Akoyas :)

Smaller - I think 5.5 - 6.5mm but with a remarkable presence because of the color and orient:

Click image for larger version  Name:	BlueBaroqueAkoyasMedStrand.jpg Views:	1 Size:	26.1 KB ID:	411807

More to follow ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing, Cathy. The luster on your pearls is amazing. I'm in love with the blue color.

Next Up:

Again from Pearl Paradise V. Akoya Queen Hisano :) Small, 5.5 - 6(ish) golden V. akoya in a double strand, with strong green overtones. These are so beautiful; as good as the photo is, the colors and orient are so much stronger in person ... little soap bubbles!

Golden Vietnamese Pearls1.jpg

Golden Vietnamese Pearls2.jpg

Now, a bit different ... from our fellow Pearl Guide member and vendor Cees ... triple strand of very small 3.5 - 4mm ombre cream to gold to a hint of apricot rose strand. There's a thread from Cees on this one ... he tells me most of these go to Mikimoto. These are also longer, at about 21".

GoldenAkoyaOmbreCEES.jpg

OmbreGoldAkoyasZ.jpg

Attachments

• akoyagrad1.jpg
    akoyagrad1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 27
Last ones for now. There's another strand of tiny tiny dark darker blue ones, but the photo is missing in a computer crash.

Hisano and Pearl Paradise. I have the necklace, finished just after Ruckus 2016, to my great delight. Bracelet is to be delivered to me tomorrow! Best of all, there are a few pearls left, so earring and enhancer designs are in the works ... ;) The necklace is 40", wrapped with green gold, with yellow gold orbit clasps; bracelet matches. I'm old, I don't mind matchy things LOL. The pearls are quite small .. again 5 - 6mm (ish), and subtle and striking. I love them.

My great thanks to our vendors, who not only supply us with beautiful pearls, but honesty, integrity, knowledge and photos!!!

Akoya Tin Cup A.jpg

Akoya Tin Cup B.jpg

Akoya Tin Cup C.jpg

PistachioTinCupGlamour.jpg

P.S. Great thanks to BAS, for the inspiration on the Pistachio pieces!!! I'd been asking for pistachio ... anything ... for some time, and none were available. Then BAS got the holy grail of pistachio akoya necklaces, and I got lucky and a few became available the following season. THANK YOU BAS for always inspiring us :)

Oh my, Cathy. Those pearls are all stunners, but the tiny ombré triple strand necklace are so exceptional. Thank you for the photos.

Thank you, Luvglitz ... the luster and orient on all these is remarkable, and in most cases, just doesn't show up that well in photos, even the professional ones!

Pearl Dreams, the first photo is 2 separate strands: The blue roundish ones, and the slightly smaller multicolors. I like them twisted together like bubbles :)

Thank You Sea Urchin ... I do love these ...

Red, I didn't wear the triple at the ruckus, so you may not have gotten to see them in person; SO much better in person. I like the way they nest in Cees first photo better, but it's nearly impossible to get nested that perfectly without custom fitting. I did have PP look at it; John laughed, said bless the stringer and leave them alone LOL. The clasp is German and very sturdy, works well ... and I'm still grateful I can put them over my head :)

I'm especially pleased with the Pistachio Bracelet photo ... it really shows the colors and orient better than any of the other photos, and I'm thrilled with how the simple orbit clasp worked for a double strand. Orbits are not available in green gold, but I like the mix of gold colors.

Just picked my jaw off the laptop ;) Cathy what wonderful pearls you have. I knew you had wonderful pearls but all these are to the moon and back exquisite. How do you choose which ones to wear every day? Enjoy all of your beauties.

Thank you Pattye. Hisano works magic with these pearls.

Newberry ... uh, well ... I have no idea LOL. I do find these glories a bit harder to wear, with the delicate design and color ... clothing too pale washes them out, too bright they get lost, and I don't look great in pastels. I think they're a bit easier to wear in summer; these would get lost on a heavy winter sweater better suited to Tahitian ropes. There's room for both, and I always follow clothes shopping rule #1: Never buy anything that doesn't match Pearls! I learned it from you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Cathy thank you for sharing. It's an absolute delight to see such beauties.
The ombre is amazing. Does it nest well when you wear? I've been looking and reloading at those old posts by Cees. I'm so glad you have them.

Cathy these pearls are spectacular. The triple ombré strand is very special. And I love your blues and pistachios. Jealous!!!!!

Cathy, thank you for posting your akoya beauties. They certainly took my breath away. Gasp! Drool!
You are a very lucky girl in the world.

What a fabulous collection of akoya pearls. Thank you for sharing.

" I didn't start out to collect Vietnamese akoyas ... it just sort of ... happened ... and it's probably not over LOL. "

Hahahaha! I second that. I'm in love with my Vietnamese akoyas, too. Yours are absolutely beautiful. Adopt me, please?

Cathy, Cathy, Cathy....your treasures are Ah-mazing! You should have posted a drool alert in the title. I believe I've ruined my keyboard.
I really love that long necklace with the wire wrapped pearls, and matching bracelet.

I too love the pistachio colors...love pink/blues but the green/blues work so much better on my skin. If you should ever tire of them....

Back