looking for clarification

heather

Let me start by saying I know nothing about pearls so any information is appreciated. My mother tells me these pearls would be worn by 8 generations if my daughter chooses to wear them on her wedding day. She says that they have been restrung (the clasp has japan stamped on the back) once but is convinced they are real. I am skeptical as you can tell from the picture it appears that the champagne color is peeling off. My aunt says they are old (my guess of 150 - 200 years if they are 8 generations old) and dry from not being worn much and therefore are kind of deteriorating. They do feel heavy in my hand and the white part underneath on the parts the color part has chipped off does kind of feel gritty to the tooth. Would it be worth bringing them in to have an appraisal to find out for sure or is it obvious that they are imitation? And if they are imitation could they still be that old?

Attachments

• IMG_3942.jpg
    IMG_3942.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3960.jpg
    IMG_3960.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Artificial pearls have been around a long time, but I bet someone just got confused about the age of the pearls before they got to your mother. 160 years is highly unlikely. A closeup of the peeling would help. It looks like white glass, which would mean artificial. If they are cultured pearls, the coating has expired from continuous wear and the shell bead is showing.

I would suggest that you start a new tradition by getting a nice set of freshwater pearls for the wedding, which are pretty reasonable these days. If it were me, I would take apart the necklace and keep the best pearls and combine them with beads to make a fun necklace to keep to remember the past. :)

The necklace is not worth an appraisal as it is in poor condition.

I have imitation pearls with Japan stamped on the clasp. And a glass bead is heavy. So these things do not necessarily indicate that they are real cultured pearls.

However, whatever they are, they have been well-loved, and are now worn out. If you love pearls, if your daughter loves pearls, it would be great to get a new strand. I like the recommendation GemGeek made.

I like the clasp a lot, so I'd keep it and start a new tradition with it and freshwater pearls, because they're gorgeous and durable.

Actually, fresh water pearls are so beautiful, I don't think I'm nice enough to give them up. The bride after me would be on her own.

Last edited:
I think 8 different age groups could've worn them if mothers, sisters and cousins shared them, but probably not full generations. That's just my opinion.

I agree with the above, take the clasp (something old) and use it with some freshwater/akoyas (something new) and keep the family tradition going - pearls on your wedding day!

Back