can anybody tell me much about these pearls they look old

icos

IMG_0889.jpgIMG_0890.jpgIMG_0891.jpgIMG_0892.jpgIMG_0893.jpgIMG_0894.jpg

hello everybody, never really been into pearls but have been given these from my mum to try evaluate. She got them off her ex boy friend who bought them with a bag of stuff from a savers shop (they sold things from people who have died and tragically had nobody to leave there stuff to) about 10 years ago, apparently they where worth around $2500au when they where looked at (around 10 years ago) im not sure to much else about them, they are all very circler without many flaws that you can see from that naked eye standing away, they feel kind of sandy but smooth at the same time it also has 8 what I think are diamonds and a name staped on the back but I cant tell what it says, also it looks like afew have lost there shine or faded (ones closest to the link that has some green moss type thing on it) any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi icos, welcome to the forum, they look like Akoya pearls to me.

They have been worn quite a lot, the pearls are very worn at the back,(nacre is thin) they also need to be restrung and cleaned.
The green moss you are referring to is probably verdigris.

The valuation you were given would have been a retail replacement value if lost or stolen.

The condition they are in, I honestly don't think you would get anything near the value of ten years ago. They would be classed as second hand value when trying to sell them.

Regards
Bernadette

Hmm, I posted a reply but it was lost entirely when I hit the "Post Quick Reply" button. I'll try again.

The OP and I had a lengthy correspondence about these pearls before her post was approved. She said she was looking to sell the pearls. OP is in Australia.
She didn't mention the wear of the nacre or the previous assessed value, so I'll add a few thoughts here.

Given the worn condition of the pearls, the primary value of the necklace is in the clasp. If the clasp tests as gold/diamonds, I could see someone buying the necklace to get the clasp, even if they didn't care for the pearls. The previous assessed value was for insurance purposes and is considerably higher than what you would get reselling. If selling them yourself, you would have to factor in the cost of testing the clasp and cleaning and restringing the pearls, and if consigning them for sale with a jeweler as estate jewelry, you would be giving up 50% or more of the sale value to the jeweler (when & if they sell.) But I think someone will want them.

Back