Please help me ID and assign a reasonable Value to these Pearls.

aaroneknapp

Please see photos and answers to the requested information:

1. Do the pearls feel slightly gritty or smooth when rubbed gently against your tooth or against another pearl?
If they are gritty, they are likely to be real nacre (genuine pearls.) If they feel smooth, they are likely imitation pearls.
The Pearls definitely feel gritty when rubbed on teeth.

2. Please provide clear, in-focus photos without flash against a white background (a paper towel works nicely.)
Include close-ups of the clasp (front and back) and a few of the pearls. If there are flaws, include a photo of those. Also the box they came in, and tags if you have them.
See Photos. Unfortunately I do not have the box they came in or any tags.

3. Any history you can give us about the pearls. Where/when you or your relative got them, any documentation you have (receipts, appraisals), their price range if you know it, etc.
Nothing to help here. I bought at a flea Market because I could tell they are real. Other than that no documentation or price range. I bought from an older lady, in her late 70's early 80's, So if I had to guess i'd say they are older.

4. Describe any marks on the clasp. These may be numbers (14K, 585, 750, 925 etc.) or brand names or even pictures.
No stamps on the claps but could be silver. I am more of a coin collector so I can kind of tell, but don't take my word for it. There are some "decorative" stampings on the claps.

5. Measure the pearls, with a millimeter ruler if possible. If they are graduated, measure the largest and smallest pearls.
I measured a handful of them with calipers. They range from 8.1mm to about 8.7mm. they all look nice and spherical some have small rub marks on them. No glaring imperfections as far as I can see.

IMG_5925.jpgIMG_5927.jpgIMG_5928.jpgFullSizeRender 2.jpgIMG_5931.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 39
Looks like cultured freshwater pearls strung on beading wire. Great close up photos! Welcome to Pearl Guide :)

I agree with Marianne. This is a modern stand made by someone who is a crafter.

The pearls are a little off-round, which is typical for freshwater pearls that don't have a bead inside (that is most of them). The clasp is probably base metal, or possibly silver plated.

They're a nice wearable size. The fact that they are solid nacre means they could easily be worn every day. If you didn't pay over $30 or so for them as an end user, you did fine.

If you bought them hoping to resell them at a profit, you should know that pre-owned pearls do not tend to hold value. Freshwaters are priced considerably lower than akoyas. The clasp not being a precious metal and the pearls being off-round, as well as being strung on wire instead of the traditional way (on thread with knots between the pearls) could all affect the sale price. In other words, this is a strand to wear (or to give to someone to wear) rather than to sell.

For a better idea of what they might sell for, look at similar, "sold" items on eBay. This will show you what buyers have shown themselves willing to pay.

Back