Looking for Articles

jshepherd

I received a call today from a writer at the GIA who is doing an article on pearls and why they are such a hot fashion trend now. In his message he mentioned the possibility of me pointing him in the direction of publications that have examined this. Before I start pouring over archives I thought I would throw it out here first. I may not actually call him back until tomorrow...

So! We know that pearls are hot right now, riding a big fashion wave.

Why?!

I read an article a while back about women in the boardroom, dressing for success, and how pearls represent power. But I can't find the article. It went on about how gen-Xers remember Princess Diana and her Cambridge tiara, the 10,000 pearl dress, and the 150 pearl shoes. She set the standard for the business suits of today and represents grace under pressure. This is the style we see so often now on Hillary Clinton and her pearls, Nancy Pelosi, and Condoleezza Rice.

Just a guess:

Freshwater pearls are getting more beautiful. They also offer more color choices, both natural and dyed.

A strand of high quality white pearls, probably the "standard," is more affordable now than 10 years ago.

Folks who want an alternative look used to wear glass beads, braids of materials, etc., now they also wear baroque pearls.

Jewelry designers, both high end brand name ones and those who sell at art co-op and arts and crafts fair (my preferred venue to shop) like them. There are large range of quality, size, colors allowing people to be creative. Most people do end up buying ready made jewelry so jewelry designers have a large influence on the market.

Pernula

Hi Jeremy

The big story is CFWP.

Nothing has changed in the other pearl markets (akoya AA &Tahitian) except they are getter smaller and scarcer in some cases, but
CFWP...............?

Why in just the 2.5 years I have inhabited this forum, they have busted out all over. Do I want large sizes? CFWP has the affordable answer. Do I want black pearls? Well, if I am ready to "settle" for dyed, then CFWP is the answer. They are afforable and easy to find and to buy in both retail jewelers and in bead stores.

Once a person is introduced to affordable CFWP, where even the Freshadamas are affordable compared to the sea pearls- there is no reason not to stock up. We are seeing it happen here on this forum, everyday. :D

If each of our beauteous necklaces cost thousands of $$$, then most people would be happy to have just one and to care for it as an heirloom gem and indeed, that is how most of our forebearers did it. They were so happy to have that one graduated strand......

But when you can afford ropes and ropes, well why not? Do you want classic Flapper, like Louise Brooks on the book covers? I remember one of my first question over here was "Who had size 5mm pearls?" Someone over here (who no longer posts) told me that that idea was rather "old fashioned". I really smarted at that and shut up-temporarily.

Well, he was no genius, because I found my 5mm very round and very shiny pearls at -you just know it!- Roy Chen's Evergreen Trading Company ($10 each and that was with no bargaining because I was cherry picking) and knotted them up into a long rope. What a class act that rope is. Because of the size, it looks very authentically like my grandmother's pearls.

BTW I also bought some some large battered "black" (actually a blue gray) klonks (12mm and up), which were also selling for $10 each. I grabbed about 10 and made some necklaces. I sold most of them for double my price because I didn't even know how hard they would be to get in the following year. They flew out of my hands and my hunt for klonks of every variety was born.

This year it was baroques. The best pearls I saw at the show were the natural colored baroques at United Staes Pearl Co, the Peaches' place. They were keystone $1,200 so I passed, regretfully. (were they genuine american pearls from the big Sandy?) I did pick up some samller rosebud drusys in natural colors from Pacific Pearl (Fuji Voll's place) I bought a dozen strands so the price fell dramatically from keystone $32 each down to $3-$4 each. (They have some kind of patches of metallic luster I think might be "added effects")

But look what Jeremy found! So I got my baroques in natural colors, after all- for Mother's Day.

This year at the the big show I also scored 2 very inexpensive white strands with 1 16 X 14+mm pearls and the smallest 13mm, by actual measure. They have patchy luster, but for the $$$, they are unbeatable.

What made all this variety possible? The wonderful, versatile, magical CFWP, that's what.

Next big trend, baroques, will continue to grow in popularity as will the off round shapes, as peoples' eyes acclimate to the natural shapes of pearls (which are far more like the wild, natural, pearls of yore.)

Maybe specialty pearls like the faux faux Lop Noors will continue to cross over into more aspects of the wardrobe- I found some that almost qualify, at 10.5mm (called "12mm" by the Chinese) The color is fantastic- talk about "power pearls! Wait till the deep dark colors are mastered by the Chinese- deep cranberry, deep forrest green, navy blue, washed denim colors, you will seen them worn by the very fashionable, first.

I don't care for red, but my daughter wears them with her office clothes and they look great and get many comments.

I am sure there is more, let me wake up a little......

Well one last thing- there is only one way for the prices to go, as I have found to my regret, so buy soon and buy big ((klonks), because they will cost more next year-if you can find them.....

Last edited:
jshepherd said:
I received a call today from a writer at the GIA who is doing an article on pearls and why they are such a hot fashion trend now. In his message he mentioned the possibility of me pointing him in the direction of publications that have examined this.

The May issue of InStyle (the same one showing Sharon Stone in Tahitians) had, I believe, an article discussing the growing trend among some Hollywood types returning to elegance and away from belly and cleavage baring attire. While I can't recall if pearls were specifically mentioned in the article, it would suit your writer's purpose.

Some articles that might be of use:
(LaMont Jones, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Jan1, 2007: Style Wishes for the New Year) "It's time for the understatement of a whisper rather than the roar of ostentation. A single pearl states with ease and simplicity what a dozen diamonds might never convey..."

(Karla Bruning, Mac Margolis, Ron Moreau, Sana Butler, Tara Weingarten. Newsweek. (International ed.). New York: Nov 6, 2006: The Good Life) "The trend is being driven in part by the bounty of Chinese freshwater pearls, which come from mussels rather than oysters and now rival saltwater varieties in color, shape and luster..."

There is an article in the Wall Street Journal (PURSUITS; Style -- Jewelry: Pearls Try to Come Out of Their Shell; Ahead of the holidays -- and with prices down as much as 40% -- designers push new looks
Vanessa O'Connell. Wall Street Journal. (Eastern edition). New York, N.Y.: Oct 14, 2006.) that specifically mentions Chinese "ramping up production" and designers "drumming up demand". This might be the one he could really use.

I understand your not wanting to pour through archives, but this forum is a happening place for mentioning the most avant guarde trends in pearls. Does a forum qualify as publishing? Some of you guys here, were wearing that single pearl since, when was it? And the bracelet for men, which is still on the cutting edge......

I forgot to mention gem quality freshwater pearls, the ones that have to be bought from loose earring stock to get the highest possible quality pearl. Those pearls are the equivalent of the finest pearls royalty ever wore when they were wearing wild. natural pearls in the 19th century and before. This will be a very elite trend when the pearls are priced according to their value and rarity, which they aren,t now. Therefore buying gem quality now is an investment that does not come along very often.

I actually gave you a summary of my posts on my favorite trends over the last 2.5 years. As I look back, I think I was riding the crest by going to the gemshow and reporting it here, because it took longer for the buyers to go from buying, to designing and making, to selling, than it takes me to report what is available at the big show venues here.

Most formal publications get it after its actually on the market, right? So the front runners are actually on to something new by the time the last style gets into a magazine article, or so I would think :confused:

Last edited:
ladykemma said:
i teach high school. last year my birkenstock and pearls were fuddy duddy, this year the girls are all asking me where to get some pearls and birks boston clogs

vendors, now is your time to make a good impression on your future consumers! have some affordable pearls for the high schoolers and invest in some good advertising like teen fashion rags and 17 magazine.

If it's not too late, I stumbled across this on the forum from 9/06. It's not a reason why, but teens have never needed a reason why.

Back