long term project: my "garden" necklace

claudenancy

Here is a work in progress. I was once an avid gardener (now a "passive" gardener--I expect to see monkeys swing through the vines any day now). I have always been fascinated by the interaction between wildflowers and the results of our efforts to create "tame" orderly gardens. I think there are no weeds just flowers out of place (in the opinion of the viewer).

One of my favorite "take over" vines has been the "maypop" wich is the local passion flower vine (I think passiflora).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slider5/3738448121/in/set-72157616463573446/

Even our local one is quite exotic to my eyes, and has some decidedly exotic tropical cousins.

I find some the stalactites (quartz--usually amethyst) that are sliced from clusters to very much resemble these maypops in terms of shape and color (impressions). I was delighted to find several cross drilled ones that could be used as "beads"

Several years ago I decided to assemble a necklace that would be a very personal statement for me of the quality of light, movement, and flow of this interaction between these untamed vines and the colors and shapes of the garden.

I finally started to work on this necklace, and show you a start (two actually). I am not yet satisfied with the exact sequence of stones (and yes there will be some pearls) so this is an early "state" of only one segment.

I had planned to use something else (a carved citrine leaf) to balance the large stalactite on the (left hand) side of the necklace but realize now that this will not work.

I am now looking for an especially beautiful stalactite that will balance (but not necessarily "match" )that large stalactite on the left and, most importantly, is either drilled or can be drilled by the person who would be selling it to me. (Alternatively, I could find someone willing to cross drill a stalactite--something I have tried to find with no success.)

I have found plenty of beautiful (undrilled) ones that would fit the bill, but, alas, no already drilled ones of approximately the same dimensions It needs to be about 40 mm across the drill hole and 38 to 42 mm on the cross axisfor balance in the necklace.

If any of you have any suggestions or ideas, or know of a supplier, or someone willing to drill, I would be very appreciative.

This is definitely a work in progress--I hope to finish it by May or June (about the time that maypops make themselves known here).

Thanks for any suggestions, Beth

Attachments

• IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1179close.jpg
    IMG_1179close.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1179re.jpg
    IMG_1179re.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Thanks so much Bernadette:

That is a good idea. Maybe I just need to learn to drill holes with a steady hand:), If I could only find someone brave enough to show me how:confused:

If anyone sees one of these that is about 40 mm at the drill hole--I would very much appreciate the source. Maybe I should offer a finder's bonus--in pearls of course!

Looking at the flower photo, a memory popped up of watching my dog through the window. She was standing in the garden near that exact kind of flower. Her eyes were closed and she was gently sniffing it. Not just a nature-lover - she also liked to lay under the baby grand piano while Mom played Chopin. ;)

That is some necklace! You have such a way with color. I hope you find the right gem to finish soon.

This is a beautiful idea - it reminds me just a bit of the vintage glass botanical necklaces from Italy and Czechoslovakia.

Those flowers are totally eye-catching. I've seen them and not known much beyond thinking they're beautiful.

Thanks to all for the kind words!

An update. One necklace became two--Spring and summer. Spring is finished but summer is still in process. Spring was especially difficult to photograph--the colors seem duller in the photos. I fabricated the clasps for Spring, and plan to do the same with Summer. However, I want to do Summer in gold but am a bit intimidated (to do so in gold).

Attachments

• IMG_1575.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1484 detail.jpg
    IMG_1484 detail.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1502 corr to wt bk and brconcorrected.jpg
    IMG_1502 corr to wt bk and brconcorrected.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 37
Thanks Pearl Dreams! Also, thanks to you for that wonderful tutorial on making clasps. I learned so much from that. It gave me the basic tools and concepts to make clasps--and the courage to try it.

Beth

Those are gorgeous!! I would love to see a neck shot.... ;)

Thanks Wendy, Sheri, Pattye, and Laurel! I will got a neck shot when I catch my husband with his camera--if he is not too busy photographing water snakes, alligators, mold, mushrooms, swamps and/or insects (the call of nature!!)).

You have a glorious eye for colour. It must have been fun collecting the gemmies (...and the pearls)

Simply gorgeous - I always love botanical themes in jewelry and these are really fantastic examples of color and composition. Enjoy them in good health! :)

What lovely necklaces! I bet you will enjoy wering them. What are their length?

Hi Purlgurl, Bernadette, Heidi, Blaire, and Newberry--and thank you! It was fun collecting the gemmies and pearls--started years ago with a very vague idea and then became a more specific concept about two years ago when I found the first cross drilled stalactite. I finished Spring on the first day of spring. Spring is almost 22 inches including the closed clasp. I don't yet know about summer except that it will be shorter--probably between 17 and 18 inches. I am thinking about trying to design it so it can be converted to a choker (a really tight one!). However, I am not at all sure that I would ever wear it that way.

Thanks again to my PG friends for all of your kind support.

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Like Pattye, I had missed this thread earlier. Your work is very beautifully crafted... and please, please, a neck shot!!

Back