My Rehoming and Rescue Project

Wednesday

Community member
Hello! So glad I found this place. I’ve been collecting sad, unloved and broken strands of Akoyas on eBay and in local charity shops. It began with my kid asking for some old pearls for a project, and it’s evolved into a bit of a project for me.

I’m stringing them all with jump rings at each end and all different lengths, so I can wear as many strands as I feel like at any given moment…

They’re on a temporary carabiner clasp for now, but at some point I’ll find a pretty diamond or emerald one for them to live on.

Here’s the first (and shortest) strand, and I’m very much learning as I go, but this is a lot of fun!
IMG_4207.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4208.jpeg
    IMG_4208.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4209.jpeg
    IMG_4209.jpeg
    851 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Very lustrous pearls and so versatile with the carabiner clasp! Your knotting looks great!
Thank you! I’ve had a few false starts and a lot of horrible tangles but I’m getting better!
The pearls on this strand are lovely- the others are nice but not so lustrous. But then, there are plenty more vintage pearls out there and it’s fun hunting them down

I have been working on a bracelet in the same style, as a gift. My friend loves freshwater pearls so I have done this for her. Waiting for a broken pale pink eBay freshwater necklace to arrive, that will be the third strand.
I’ve ordered some pretty silver circle clasps from Etsy for this and for my necklace (because I’m dangerous online after so much as a half glass of wine…) The steel carabiners were just to test out the plan before I jumped all the way in.

I really needed something to get stuck into. I’ve got long Covid, after being infected at Christmas. My usual hobbies are too complicated (Shetland lace) or too dangerous (horse riding) in my somewhat confused and lethargic state. Knotting pearls is bliss- keeps me occupied and is incredibly therapeutic.

Attachments

• IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4202.jpeg
    IMG_4202.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Here are some fancy carabiners to drool over!
They are stunning! I want all of them!
The baguette carabiner is particularly tempting.

But back in the real world, I ordered a sterling silver and single cut diamond version from Etsy. I don’t have high hopes for the quality but you never know, and it is pretty.

I am lucky enough to have a side-gig with a diamond company based in New York- I’m going in to the office in a few weeks, so I’ll see if I can find something while I’m there that isn’t too crazy expensive.

I really love the carabiner look, gives the pearls a nice edge.
Thank you. Must admit I’m surprised by how much I like it. I’m usually a vintage lover and I expected to spend a small fortune hunting down vintage and antique filigree clasps, but this has really surprised me.

Love your projects! The carabiner idea is brilliant. I have a vintage 18” strand that I want to make into a double bracelet, and I think the carabiner is the way to go! Those double jump rings look fab and so practical.

I have a vast admiration for vintage pearl suites with swappable and convertible components. Sometimes I’ve hesitated to break up or redo a piece, but fashions change, and sustainability is a big positive. Looking forward to your further adventures!

The carabiner looks really edgy. I like it. Even Mikimoto is trying to do some edgy pieces with metal, so it's right in style.

The carabiner looks really edgy. I like it. Even Mikimoto is trying to do some edgy pieces with metal, so it's right in style.
Thank you! I haven’t looked at their website in ages. I can afford an eBay habit but Mikimoto, not so much.😁

Very cool look with the carabiner and it gives you a lot of versatility!

And here’s how it’s going. Mistakes were made, but it’s a learning curve. I can cram any number of strands in here, but they all need to be slightly different lengths so they sit evenly spaced. I think I can fit one or two between the shortest and the second shortest though.

Attachments

• IMG_4244.jpeg
    IMG_4244.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
You are really good at knotting! So neat and even. Also: it’s not easy at all to space and balance a triple strand to certain parameters. It can take a lot of fiddling to get them just the way you want. I think it’s fun and rewarding, especially when you’re pleased with the eventual result. You can always redo something if you like.

Love your projects! The carabiner idea is brilliant. I have a vintage 18” strand that I want to make into a double bracelet, and I think the carabiner is the way to go! Those double jump rings look fab and so practical.

I have a vast admiration for vintage pearl suites with swappable and convertible components. Sometimes I’ve hesitated to break up or redo a piece, but fashions change, and sustainability is a big positive. Looking forward to your further adventures!
Thank you! The carabiner bracelet is pretty cool, though I do say so myself- gift for a friend, but I’m definitely going to do one for myself.

Breaking up a strand, however short or otherwise unsuitable to restore, gives me pause. But I figure I can’t hurt the pearls and I can always put it all back the way it was if necessary (and if I had endless spare time).

I’m really loving the little jump rings- I have run out though, itching to get more so I can carry on!

You are really good at knotting! So neat and even. Also: it’s not easy at all to space and balance a triple strand to certain parameters. It can take a lot of fiddling to get them just the way you want. I think it’s fun and rewarding, especially when you’re pleased with the eventual result. You can always redo something if you like.
That’s so kind of you! My early attempts at knotting were…variable🤣 I’ve got into a rhythm now, but omg the strand I’m working on now might be the one that breaks me. Half the pearls have normal- large drill holes, the rest have really tiny holes I can barely get the finest needle through. So some of them slide right over the knot and others just break the needle. Argh!!

That’s so kind of you! My early attempts at knotting were…variable🤣 I’ve got into a rhythm now, but omg the strand I’m working on now might be the one that breaks me. Half the pearls have normal- large drill holes, the rest have really tiny holes I can barely get the finest needle through. So some of them slide right over the knot and others just break the needle. Argh!!
I had a strand with variable sized holes. Instead of knots I used silicone 'bead bumpers" (Beadalon). I used to buy them on Beadalon website but Amazon carries them too. Firemountaingems sells their own version of this product called "bead huggers."

I had a strand with variable sized holes. Instead of knots I used silicone 'bead bumpers" (Beadalon). I used to buy them on Beadalon website but Amazon carries them too. Firemountaingems sells their own version of this product called "bead huggers."
Oh, brilliant! I had no idea such a thing existed. Thanks

Back