Korean MOP

Valeria101

Not sure how well known is traditional Korean MOP inlay... I have just discovered how far (?) it may get and had to tell someone!

MOP on Korean traditional arts blog

Quite possibly, there is even finer somewhere. This is all it took to get my enthusiasm unsheathed!

It's amazing how extravagant it can get. I've seen large pieces of furniture (tables, dressers, entertainment centers) with really intricate MOP designs.

Last edited:
Oh my! Think I have some examples of Arabian influenced furniture pieces somewhere on this board. Or maybe they are just dead links now. They are easy to find in an internet search. But I prefer these oriental designs. They appear to tell a story. Maybe the Arabian ones tell a story.

I received a small jewelry box with MOP inlaid flowers as a gift from SoonChungYang University when I studied there. It sits on top of our piano where we can look at it. After seeing this article it is even more precious to me.

Anna: How did you find this article? The items are intricate and beautiful.

Korea = MOP

A couple of years ago I was actively seeking MOP as piano key cover material and was directed by top farms in Bloome, Australia (P. Maxima being the only possible choice of species for both size and color) to one gentleman in Seoul who is the king of MOP. Turns out he is also the exclusive supplier to Gibson guitars.

Back