Intro..

Tumutoa Berg

Pic quick silver pearl in shell.jpg

Dear Pearl-Guide community,

This is my first thread on PG. Well maybe I posted half a thread once because I had trouble figure out how to use the site :)

I've visited the Cook Islands these last years and have been fortunate to sit down with the local pearl farmers.

My first question would be: Do you think Cook Island black pearls are Tahitian black pearls? Or do ''people'' generally assume this, you think?

Thanks already.. love PG..!

Berg

(Picture is one of my first over 13.5 mm CK black pearl. I called her Quick Silver.. Looked like the pearl almost went liquid when the sun hits the surface.. I kept her..)

Last edited:
think it will mostly be sold as tahitian because selling cook and fiji pearls is just so much more easy calling them tahitians since thats what people know i think the name will be tahitian even tho i sell your pearls as cook island black pearls most of the time people come in for Tahitians and then i tell them the story that there are more places they are found etc etc etc

here is a sample of what i have from mister berg at the moment :) he is one of my pearl secrets ..... or was one of my pearl secrets :p

tamatoa.jpg

Oohhh.... *that* Mister Berg.. I remember somebody in the forum mentioning the name..

Tumutoa Berg - Welcome to the forum!

Daniel - I'm curious to see more of these said beauties. Do you have close ups?
I personally think it's a shame to have to lump all the pearls into a single category (i.e. Tahitian for Fiji and Cook island pearls, or as the case in Indonesia - just SSP for pearls from the Aru islands or Lombok). I'm sure each area produces pearls which have characteristics and beauty of their own.

50 % is from tamatoa of these pearls :) and the interview in a dutch magazine i ones posted about the cook islands was written by and about him :)

Wow!! Luscious luscious pearls... I am particular about the blue ones at the front row in your pic!

View attachment 25084(Picture is one of my first over 13.5 mm CK black pearl. I called her Quick Silver.. Looked like the pearl almost went liquid when the sun hits the surface.. I kept her..)
Welcome T Berg :cool: Wow your Quick Silver is magnificent!

50 % is from tamatoa of these pearls :) and the interview in a dutch magazine i ones posted about the cook islands was written by and about him :)
These pearls are just breathtaking! Love their colors!

Hey guys, thank you for your replies. I will be investing more time in pulling apart the Tahitian pearl and the Cook Island pearl. They are from different worlds!

The fact is that French Polynesia, where the Tahitian pearls come from, does not include The Cook islands. Further more there are differences between the way the farmers care for water quality and protect surrounding nature from over-framing. As you guys know, we can not guard the future of our precious natural gems if we do not invest in conservation of our pearl fields.

I think the Cook Islands government has taken the lead in this. One of my sources on Manihiki is a lady from Marine Reserve. They take preservation very seriously and the coolest thing is that these people are mostly ''clan leader's'' or also called ''mama's'' who still own their own part of the atol by family right! I will meet with her again coming February. Of course I will update you guys on new findings.

Please read up on Cook Island ''clan leader's'' and ''mama's'' that I buy my pearl's from in the English version of my article Daniel spoke of. I will upload it this week.

Hi Pattye.. I wish I could say that ''Quick Silver'' came from this particular shell.. But I do think she came from the same harvest which is close enough :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/TAMA-TOA-Jewels/231856726943995?ref=hl
https://www.tamatoajewels.com

Back