Recent purchase on the way

multichrome

Hello, lovely pearl folk. It’s good to see the community thriving. After a pause I’ve been shopping a bit here and there. I bought a pretty bracelet with big freshies not too long ago from PP and will take a photo soon! Today I saw a bracelet on FleaBay and decided to take a chance. I hit “Buy It Now” and then was immediately doubtful of my own eye. I didn’t spend a lot, but I should have pondered the purchase a bit longer, I think! I stared at them a while trying to decide what type they are, and now I’m like, “Dang, I hope they are even real!” Would love for you to eyeball the few pics. If real then I do have ideas of what they are. They are 9mm in size according to the seller, whose pics these are. Will take some of my own when it arrives. Thank you and happy spring to all in this hemisphere! I’ve loved catching up with all your wonderful pics!

Attachments

• IMG_3779.jpeg
    IMG_3779.jpeg
    803.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3774.jpeg
    IMG_3774.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3777.jpeg
    IMG_3777.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3780.jpeg
    IMG_3780.jpeg
    497.4 KB · Views: 60
Thank you for your input, PD! I’m not very familiar with that type of FWP, so I need to train my eye for them! In the pic they look rounder to me than FWPs usually do. Very curious to receive them next week!

I’ll get to see them in person today. Love those the magic words, “Out For Delivery” 😸 I went back to the seller’s page and their reviews are stellar. So I’m hopeful that it’s a nice wearable piece. If so will restring soon and add gimp. The clasp is 14K. so that’s nice. Thanks for reading, and I hope you all have a lovely day. My kitty also says “Hi!”

Attachments

• IMG_3316.jpeg
    IMG_3316.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
The mail got here early! I opened the package and I’m pleased. The seller didn’t measure the pearls correctly; they’re smaller than stated (they said “3/8 inch”). But for once I’m fine with that! They’re 7.5-8mm and very round and very lustrous. More cream than white, leaning a bit towards ivory. Do y’all still think they’re FWP? The size changes the equation for me. They look like my Akoyas, but the luster of these is not as sharp. The nacre is substantial. I don’t buy anything I don’t like, so I’m content in any case. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_3813.jpeg
    IMG_3813.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3826.jpeg
    IMG_3826.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3819.jpeg
    IMG_3819.jpeg
    850.6 KB · Views: 33
Given the color and smaller size, I'm leaning toward akoyas now.
Thank you for your opinion, PD! They’re difficult to photograph. They also have a pinky tinge that I can’t capture. I popped them right on my arm, which is how I know I like them a lot!

Attachments

• IMG_3834.jpeg
    IMG_3834.jpeg
    988.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3833.jpeg
    IMG_3833.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
Thank you 😺 I love the rosy tinge. It’s interesting what all goes into looking at photos of pearls and weighing the evidence to identify them. Especially if all you have is photos and some scant info from an eBay description. The incorrect size in the listing skewed the process, didn’t it?

Yes, it did, but also the fact that it doesn't have gimp to protect the thread where it attaches to the clasp. Nine mm akoyas would be relatively costly and I would have expected them to be strung in a manner consistent with that value.

I want to restring them and add gimp, but aside from lacking gimp, they’re strung nicely. Perfectly clean thread and knots, and no stretching. When I do put them on new thread, it’ll be fun to choose the color. Won’t it, @pattye?

The sun came out. Yay!

Attachments

• IMG_3846.jpeg
    IMG_3846.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3847.jpeg
    IMG_3847.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
When you are ready to resting eventually, I'd go with Ivory thread.
Do you find it easy to attach the clasp? I find fish hook clasps a bit tricky for a bracelet. There are tools to help with that, of course. "Bracelet Buddy".

Small silver interlocking oval (orbit) clasps are not costly, add a tiny bit of length, and are easy to fasten (for me, anyway. My husband struggles with them.) I find the spring on the larger interlocking ovals a bit stiff.

I want to restring them and add gimp, but aside from lacking gimp, they’re strung nicely. Perfectly clean thread and knots, and no stretching. When I do put them on new thread, it’ll be fun to choose the color. Won’t it, @pattye?

The sun came out. Yay!
Yes, any color you choose!! Your pearls look lovely there in the sunshine!

Back