How do you decide on a clasp?

CeciliaW

Hello Folks,

I picked up a strand of Chinese Kasimi-like 10mm pearls this last trip to see John Tu.

I did them up as usual but used a 14k fishhook type clasp that measures 11mm x 5mm.

There isn't enough room for your fingers to actually open and close the the catch.

Help?

I've considered redoing them with a larger ball clasp. I've considered redoing them with some smaller pearls at the back, but that seems like it would lood odd.

What sort of a clasp would work well and easily with 10 mm pearls?

Thanks,

Cecilia

One of the reasons I opted to use a toggle clasp on our ripples, just makes life so much easier.

I LOVE toggle clasps...much easier to invert a necklace and hang an enhancer off of the loop portion of the toggle. Here is an example...sorry for the poor photo quality.

IMG_0468.jpg
IMG_0482.jpg

I have also seen pearls strung with a few small links at the clasp, in order to use as an extender.

There are no rules on what clasp to use. But for big pearls it does need to be something with the same presence really. We use the substantial double loop ones.

I would advise a toggle clasp for ease of use too.

DK :)

Cecilia,

I've had the same thing happen to me more than once, where the pearls are too large to work the clasp easily. (Usually because I want to use a clasp already in my stock.)

Eventually, I have gravitated toward large toggles, because they are comfortable on the back of the neck. They seem to be pretty secure as the manufacturers have worked out the proportions between the loop and the toggle bar. Plus the weight of the heavier pearls helps hold in place. Making certain there is room to pull the bar through the loop is crucial, as you've mentioned, so sometimes I add a bead, but usually not chain unless it is already part of the toggle.

Jersey Pearl, your necklace is a beautiful example of a fab, versatile toggle and enhancer~is it JR? Wish findings like that clasp were readily available!

I have also used a large infinity trigger clasp on one of my personal necklaces, which is casual, but I like it, also a large hook and loop (some sterling and some 18k).

Cecilia, looking forward to seeing your finished necklace very soon!

I hate fishhooks and am not a huge fan of ball clasps in that I find them both a bit fiddly to fasten. That said the larger ball clasps are not too bad..10mm is the smallest one I use. Toggles are great and I've never had a problem with them but then I use large pearls as a rule and I feel the weight of the pearls keeps the tension on the toggle.

That's a pretty necklace Jersey P .. very striking toggle!

Amrita, that's a foldover type clasp, yes? Can you say where you found it?

This is similar but bigger...

n_white_ss-ish_silver_two_loop_clasp_3266.jpg
They come in a variety of finishes - silver, silver rhodium plated, vermeil, rose gold vermeil, polished, brushed..

This is a very interesting thread; thanks to all contributors! I love the look of a well thought out finding, well balanced and artistically suited to the look of a particular necklace. On a practical note, as someone with serious tendonitis issues in both thumbs, I struggle with the mechanics of the clasps, and getting at the clasps between beads or pearls when there's not enough room for stiff fingers; the finding becomes critical. Then there's the versatility of adjustable length provided by a rather ordinary and mundane gold extender chain and lobster claw ... nothing beautiful or exciting or maybe even deserving of great pearls, but affording the perfect positioning of lovely pearls in a variety of necklines ... fascinating "dilemma" ... thanks for the good read!

Back