Here is something you don't see every day!

jshepherd

Full hanks of natural, Pteria sterna pearls.

I assisted in finding a driller for them in China earlier this year.

Attachments

• Pteria sterna strands.jpg
    Pteria sterna strands.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 30
This was an iPhone photo but I am going to have Katja shoot them too.

Yes, they are from the Sea of Cortez, but they are not from the Douglas' farm. They are true naturals.

"Alexander Marcelo" brought a large natural lot to our office last year asking my assistance to drill them. Sending small pearls like this to India has gotten a lot more difficult so we checked with a friend of mine who specializes in small freshwater (everything below 5 mm). He couldn't drill them but found a hand driller in China that agreed to do it. It took him four months.

These are amazing, but what if this were possible with something like a PiPi (Pinctada maculata) natural lot .... :rolleyes:

Yes, they are from the Sea of Cortez, but they are not from the Douglas' farm. They are true naturals.

He mentioned there was a resurgence of the natural fishery resulting from natural spat fall generated by his ops. The Mexican fishery will probably continue as on again, off again. Secondary spawning further distances could be in the offing, yet again. That trend may indeed restore the entire coastline of the Californias to traditional levels. I'm not sure how it's all managed, but it's certainly refreshing to see something nice come from a place which once had something thought lost forever. The high-grade lot that ended up in that unnamed multi-m$ strand was certainly outstanding.

Whatever the disposition, I'm sure they're be some terrific pieces in this edition.

These are amazing, but what if this were possible with something like a PiPi (Pinctada maculata) natural lot .... :rolleyes:

I don't see why not. There's a few guys producing them, consistently in French P. The big one's fetch premiums but I'm sure they get numerous tiny ones too. Likely even predominately.

Boy, Jeremy, talk about raising the bar! Amazing!

Forgive my ignorance, but why is it so difficult to find someone to drill small pearls? Seed pearls were in everything in previous centuries. Is it just that people don't want to be bothered with small pearls anymore? The equipment is automated, so I would think this would be easy. I would think that hand drilling would be less precise (although perhaps gentler).

Very cool! I saw the video someone posted showing a man hand drill a tiny pearl and thought it was a lost skill. It was nice you were able to help find someone to drill these beauties. Can't wait to see what creations Hisano and others make with them!

Back