help

kp1369

I recently inherited these and have to sell the bracelet. These were custom made in 1950 for my grandmother, the bracelet weighs 30 grams, contains 2 rows of 6.5mm akoya, with solid gold clasp, 12 rubies in clasp, 14kt solid gold..I have no idea the value or what I should ask for it grandma pearls1.jpg

Do you have the paperwork for it? An appraisal?

"Rubies" in jewelry are sometimes actually spinels or even lab created rubies, which have been around for many decades. Buyers will pay more if there is proof of what they are buying.

Hi,

There have been several posts resently about people wanting to sell pearls with links to finished eBay sales. You should be able to find these posts. Looking at what similar items sold for is a good way to judge the possible gain from selling. What we do find is that pearls are often not worth a fraction of the price of what people thought and often the conclusion is to hold on to the pearls.

- Karin

I agree, Keep them as a set. They have a super clasp, those stones have beauty value regardless of what they are. But, if you can get a GIA trained jeweler to look at them, the price would be higher if the gems are untreated rubies. If they are spinel, it doesn't matter for looks, but people do like to know what they are paying for. That clasp is what makes your pearls stand out.

Also, as Karin advises, comb those sold listings. It is a real education in what people will pay, and some days it is much better than others, though I don't have a clue why. Please keep us informed of what you learn. Good luck!

Back