help with first tahitian purchase!

leukolenos

I've had so much fun stalking this forum and all of the photos of everyone's gorgeous pearls!

I have a big birthday coming up and my husband gave me the go-ahead to find a strand and some earrings.

I went ahead and ordered a strand...they're here, and they're fine, but I feel a bit underwhelmed. I chose these because they seemed like a good classic to start out with...but now that they're here, I think I want more color! I mostly wanted to sanity-check myself with the experts here to see that there's not something I'm missing. I think I should probably return them and keep looking....but what do you guys think?

image1.jpgimage3.jpg

Hi leukolenos, and welcome to the forum!

To start with, let me put the photo straight for you for we could all enjoy it in full) that's a beautiful classic strand.

image1.jpg

I suggest you to "live" with the strand a little bit. I noticed from my own experience in online pearl shopping that it's rarely a "wow wow wow" straight out of the box.

Polish them gently. Put them next to your other pearls. Think of some clothes combinations to go with them. Then put them aside for a few days. And get them out again. If you still don't feel like "that's MY strand" feeling, I would return it.
But I actually saved myself from returning quite a few strands with this approach. And those are strands I couldn't imagine not having now))

I agree with waiting a few days to see how they look under various lighting conditions and with different color outfits. This seems to make a lot of difference with Tahitians. If you wear your pearls on a cloudy day or indoors in indirect light, I believe you will see more colors.

But if that is still not colorful enough for you, consider getting a multicolor strand.

Welcome ! I agree with Luganda and Lary - keep em for a day or two . If you still don't love them , send them back. They look pretty clean with nice lustre and I see the peacock on a few. see what you think of the colour when they are not in direct sunlight . Most pearls don't show their best colour in strong light. If you don't love them at night ... then maybe they are not for you .

You really have to see Tahitians in person. I've ordered and returned several strands before I found "the one."

I found that the more baroque pearls have the more interesting colors.

My goodness, what a wonderful welcome! Thank you, everyone. Very good advice indeed- I am going to wear them this week and then try to make a decision over the weekend.

I have no idea why my picture flipped! I tried to re-load it several times and it flipped it every time! Ugh!

The paper-towel picture was taken by a window, but with overhead lights on as well.

The on-the-neck picture was taken outside on a very overcast day. I don't usually get excited about dull and grey weather, but I have to admit I was excited for the perfect timing for pearl viewing! I think that's what is making me a bit hesitant about these- that I've spent all day ogling them in what is supposed to be good light for pearls. I wonder if maybe my expectations are off? I was expecting some more peacock for sure. I do love that this is a classic look without the price tag of getting totally round pearls, but I can't shake the feeling of wishing the color had a little more *oomph*.

I like how they look on you.
Have you ever tried a lighter strand? Maybe a silvery one since you have blonde hair and fair skin. Of course, it's always your preference but maybe a colourful silvery one might be worth trying.

Welcome! Like the others have said, sometimes it takes a bit for the pearls to "warm" up. I also agree, with your coloring, you may prefer a lighter body pearl. But that's why our resident vendors are so wonderful...and offer such great return policies! It's a great way to try different types of pearls.

I do have the picture! IMG_1460.jpg

Bailey- I actually did order a silver one as well- super inexpensive from PP on Black Friday. It is reaaaaaaaally silver though, not so colorful. Maybe I should try to hunt down a more colorful silvery one to try.

Thanks for the photo!

When buying Tahitians you have to consider both body color and overtone color. The body color of your strand is dark/green, I think, so that is the color you are mainly going to be seeing except when the light conditions are more favorable for the overtones.

However, if you look for a multicolor strand, you will be getting pearls with differing body colors, that will still look different in all kinds of lighting.

Have you seen this thread? It makes an interesting read:

Tahitian pearls - Vendor vs. IRL pictures

Here are two more threads, posted on Pricescope, that may be helpful to anyone new to buying Tahitians. These are from PP's August Tahitians sale in 2015 and 2014. Many people posted both the studio shot /glamour shot of the pearls they ordered and then their own photos, after their pearls arrived. It may give you an idea of what to expect. Lots of beautiful strands here! :)

Aug. 2015 PP Tahitian Sale:
http://www.pricescope.com/forum/pearls-new/the-new-august-tahitians-sale-thread-t216199.html

Aug. 2014 PP Tahitian sale:
http://www.pricescope.com/forum/pearls-new/pp-tahitian-pearls-on-sale-t204779.html

Bailey- I actually did order a silver one as well- super inexpensive from PP on Black Friday. It is reaaaaaaaally silver though, not so colorful. Maybe I should try to hunt down a more colorful silvery one to try.

Ohh you got a silver strand too! Photos please!

Oh those are super helpful threads! I had read the vendor vs IRL thread, but these are extra helpful. Thanks!

Ok, so by request and for posterity, here are photos of the silver strand, plus extras of the peacock. White box included this time ;)

silver.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpg
What do we think of the silver? Not this strand specifically, per se, but in general is the lighter pearl look better on do you think?

I actually think both look very good on you, but I an see why you don't fine either one particularly colorful. I think it's a very good idea to ask about a more colorful strand. All the vendors have more pearls in stock than are up on their websites.

Leukolenos, the silver pops, it suits your complexion. But the picture in the white box shows that the pearls are not colorful. If you wish, you can email the vendor for a more colorful strand and return the ones you got.
I fully understand that you want the colors to show well.

Leukolenos, your heart really seems to long for a more colorful strand. I understand; that's what I always gravitate to. From a complexion stand point, I think both the dark and the light strands look great on you. Maybe keep either the dark one or the silver one as a "classic basic" and exchange one for a more colorful one to nest with it for contrast? A more even toned "classic" is sometimes easier to wear with a variety of clothing than a very colorful variations strand, so there's some logic to a "classic", and having both :)

Leukolenos, your heart really seems to long for a more colorful strand. I understand; that's what I always gravitate to. From a complexion stand point, I think both the dark and the light strands look great on you. Maybe keep either the dark one or the silver one as a "classic basic" and exchange one for a more colorful one to nest with it for contrast? A more even toned "classic" is sometimes easier to wear with a variety of clothing than a very colorful variations strand, so there's some logic to a "classic", and having both :)

Thanks CathyKeshi! I so wish I could get two! Funny story- last night we were talking about it and I was saying that even if it takes a bit more money, I'd want to try to get close to my ideal strand so I won't be tempted to keep shopping. Then my husband gave me the most hilarious look/eye-roll and was like...."seriously?!"

So we'll see. Ive reached out to a few vendors looking for something more multicolor so we'll see what we come up with.

I feel the same way, leukolenos. I have 2 Tahitian strands-- one 26" endless strand, that I assembled and strung, quite baroque and colorful, and another that is 18", near round to drop, also colorful, which I just love and wear all the time. I honestly don't feel a craving to get a third strand. Get something you absolutely love and you may find that is enough.

My husband also has a multicolor round strand that we originally bought for our daughter's 21st birthday, but she actually declined it! (She's just not into pearls.) So I shortened it for him and he wears it instead! I could wear it, too, but I do not find myself reaching for it.

Back