Help, Silk Knot Stuck Inside A Pearl!

Frost Me

Any suggestions to pushing a knot thru the pearl, no luck with tiny needle. Help!

Last edited:
Frost me,
That's a bummer. How large a pearl is it? Can you see if the knot is closer to one end? I'd try soaking the pearl overnight in water, to help soften the thread. Then try using a reamer to get the threads out. OR take a sewing straight pin and bend the very tip into a sort of hook, or at least to the side to pull the fibers out a little at a time. It's a fiddly process, for sure, and no guarantee, but these are a couple of things I've done. Do you think there is glue in there also? If there is glue, the hot water trick will help loosen the glue. Please let us know how it goes.

If brute force with a head pin won't work (try holding the pin where it comes out of the pearl with pliers and pushing mm by mm to stop it bending) then the easiest way to do it is to drill it out with a 0.7mm drill bit.

This has happened to me many times when restringing pearls, I have tried many ways to get thread out and I agree with Wendy, drill it out. You don't actually dill the pearl, only thread, so its super easy.

Good Luck

I appreciate the tips so much, Pattye, Pearlescence, Isis Pearls. Brute force has not worked yet. I will carry on.

Drilling is fast and works. A small battery powered drill is inexpensive and a good thing to have on hand anyway.

You don't need a pearl drill for this, Pattye. Any old putting up shelves type house hold drill will do. You will need a 0.7mm bit, which isn't super easy to find but is a useful thing to have about if you are likely to be restringing.
If we need clear a blocked drill hole setting up the pearl in the drill is too much faff (and a misalignment will ruin the pearl) Just using a handheld is faster and easier.

I've used a tiny bit (pretty certain it was 0.7mm) with my Dremel, which I cautiously handheld (yikes!)

The only danger with using a handheld is that you wobble and the bit will snap inside the pearl. An 0.7mm - or 1mm for that matter - drill bit is very thin and fragile. Make sure your hand is steady and keep pearl and drill absolutely in line and unmoving.
If you do it a lot you will drill your thumb but learn faster

No worries, Wendy, I did do as you suggest, and it worked fine, as I took a deep breath and kept absolutely still! I do not recommend handheld drilling!

You don't need a pearl drill for this, Pattye. Any old putting up shelves type house hold drill will do. You will need a 0.7mm bit, which isn't super easy to find but is a useful thing to have about if you are likely to be restringing.
If we need clear a blocked drill hole setting up the pearl in the drill is too much faff (and a misalignment will ruin the pearl) Just using a handheld is faster and easier.

Right on, Wendy! I was thinking Dremel or electric reamer with a drill bit in it, or regular household drill.

Dremel alternative

Dremel alternative

Right on, Wendy! I was thinking Dremel or electric reamer with a drill bit in it, or regular household drill.

I use a dremel for several projects, but a good alternative is a pin vise. It will allow you to put small drill bits in it and then it works like a reemer. You can put small drill bits in them from about .5 to about 2 mm.. Drill bits and pin vises are inexpensive on ebay. Just search pin vise For drill bits search hss drill bit. The hss stands for high speed steel. Add the size you want to narrow the search.

I use a dremel for several projects, but a good alternative is a pin vise. It will allow you to put small drill bits in it and then it works like a reemer. You can put small drill bits in them from about .5 to about 2 mm.. Drill bits and pin vises are inexpensive on ebay. Just search pin vise For drill bits search hss drill bit. The hss stands for high speed steel. Add the size you want to narrow the search.

Great advice. If you are just cleaning out the pearl, a pin vise will work best if the bit is slightly smaller than the drill hole. :)

Back