Help me id this chunk of abalone

Caitlin

Is it a blister pearl?
august3-244-15.jpg
stick pin2.jpg

I decided to risk some money. I sent the seller an offer. I think I will have to get it out of the setting to see what it really is. It is too funky to be cultured by someone like Roger. It is either a piece of ab shell, or a blister.

Lovely find Caitlin, can't wait see it unmounted to learn about

I am such an abalone nut; it really is kind of grungy. Only an abalone nut would claim that one. Any ideas on how to clean it?

Hi Caitlin,

Great find!! I would go for a salt sludge bath and a soft tooth brush. I swear by salt sludge baths. I cleaned my Abalone Pearl with it.

Let us know when you get it and do post some photos, before and after.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://stores.ebay.com/Dawns-Designer-Collections
Natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover

Here are images of both sides of natural abalone blisters from my collection. The shape and color of your find is nearly identical and very typical of abalone blisters.

abalone_holes.jpg

I am very intrigued by the underside of your blister pearl, it's riddled with the parasites that contribute to the blister pearl, is it not? Bumpy, too? Had to ask as my blister pearls are all backed with shell material so I have never seen anything like this. Thanks!

Hi
I got it. I soaked it in plain water and it came absolutely clean! I poked it into my purse- on the front. This week is too busy to focus on it. Catch it later!

Antique vintage art nouveau abalone pearl ring

Antique vintage art nouveau abalone pearl ring

Calling all abalone experts; my antique abalone (?) ring I bought off ebay is finally here.
From my pictures, can anyone tell if it is:
(1) of abalone origin,
(2) a natural abalone blister pearl, or
(3) a natural abalone pearl?

I'm delighted with it and its strange flourescent iridiscence, apart from the fact it's so tiny (size 3), it fits only on my little girl's finger. The seller claims it is an antique 1890s to 1920s art nouveau gold ring acquired from the estate of an 82-year old widow. She was married to a professor at the University of Pennsylvania and travelled extensively throughout her life.

The pearl in question is 14mm in length and greenish-pinkish-gold in colour. It is shaped like Ayers Rock with a flat plateau-like dome and measures 6mm in height. I've taken a couple of pictures of the ring with a haliotis rufescens shell (Californian red abalone) and can't help wondering if the pearl is of the same material.

Attachments

• FreshadamaDouble
    FreshadamaDouble
    39.7 KB · Views: 41
  • FreshadamaDoubleWithBothClasps
    FreshadamaDoubleWithBothClasps
    49.1 KB · Views: 40
  • GemQualityCFWPSmall
    GemQualityCFWPSmall
    79.1 KB · Views: 44
  • GemQualityCFWP
    GemQualityCFWP
    26 KB · Views: 45
I have absolutely no idea what sort of pearl that is, but it is certainly a remarkable unusual and lovely ring.

Calling all abalone experts; my antique abalone (?) ring I bought off ebay is finally here.
From my pictures, can anyone tell if it is:
(1) of abalone origin,
(2) a natural abalone blister pearl, or
(3) a natural abalone pearl?.

It looks like abalone alright. Abalone blisters are quite common, but are usually flatter than this piece. That's not to suggest it's not a blister, but it might be a conjunction. A conjunction is a pearl that became fused to the shell. I'd have to see an image of the back of the pearl to be certain though.

Not to be outdone, the three off round white pearls are quite nice too.

Back