Gas Pearls

C

carehret

Douglas, if you are out there, Can you please explain what a Gas Pearl is for all the Pearl Collectors out there? THANKYOU!

Hi Care,

Gas pearls are not actually collectible unless they are attractive otherwise. Gas pearls form from deteriorating conchiolin that bubbles up in a bacterial degradation process also referred to as bombage. Stray tissue cells then attach to such conchiolin bubbles and secret nacre. The result is a hollow pearl. The most frequent occurrence of gas pearls is in abalones but all other bi and mono valves with varying degrees of porphyria also produce gas pearls. Pteria sterna is also well known for producing hollow or gas pearls. The most collectible gas pearls are so-called "hound's teeth." If you have some from pink abalone, I want them. Now. Please! Pretty please? With cherries on top?

Zeide

Re: Info Gas Pearls

Re: Info Gas Pearls

Thanks for the info Zeide! Much appreciated! Have you seen Gas Pearls that are resin filled to be saleable? I have come across a few.
I was given a GORGEOUS Cortez Large Gas Pearl as a collection piece. The colors are exceptional. Thanks again!

Hi Care
Do you have a picture or a link to a picture you will put up? No fair bragging without letting us look too!

Also, you can put a web address under your name if yu go to the Profile then to signature. There are many on this forum who would like your stuff, especially anything from Doug and/or Mexico.

Also, would you take a look at this link? I have a picture up and I think you probably know what they are…..Thanks!

Hi Care,

I have seen some resin filled gas pearls but I prefer them hollow, they make such a distinctive noise. My dream piece is a full strand of graduated dragon fangs from pink abalone with matching earrings, maybe accented with a macaw tail feather.

Zeide

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus! Just read this post...it's been over 2 years!!! Think I've gotta pay more attention.

Ok...this is what we've gathered from close inspection of cultured pearls at different degrees of production and from literature.

The first coating on a pearl is usually a dark-protein like substance called conquiolin. This protein is somewhat "plastic" and can stretch. So here is the deal:
The Nucleus-Grafting process has taken place...the tissue has grafted, the "pearl-sac" has formed and now begins the deposition of conquiolin, but some organic matter (usually gonadic tissue) is found inside the pearl sac. This organic material then begins to decay, gas (CO2) is formed as a result of bacterial digestion and this gas makes it possible for the protein to expand (as it would happen if you were inflating a balloon). This process eventually stops, the pearl sac now coats the pearl with nacre.
Final Result...a Gas Giant full of nauseating liquids. The pearls are drilled, the liquid removed and then a cleaning/rinsing of the interior takes place (using salt-water). The bead is usually found loose inside the Gas Pearl...some people prefer to fill up this hollow pearl with resin (as with a Mab?), some don't.

These pearls are very beautiful, with a grainier outside, but must be tested for flaws...some will make the pearls crack.

Hope this answers some questions...will try to produce more examples after this year's (2007) harvest. Hopefully we will have some Beautiful Gas Giants this year.

Attachments

• GasGiantMini.jpg
    GasGiantMini.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 43
Very interesting indeed. So how does the gonadic tissue find its way into the pear sac? Does it break off when the incision is made?

That smell is one that is nearly impossible to describe. Hitting one with a drill, unprepared for the small explosion, can be a really bad day.

Indeed it is unpeasant Jeremy...and it does "squish" out with gas, leaving your hands smelly for a while (I use Sulphur Soap to remove this "pearly scent").

The Gonadic tissue is ever present, unless the oysters are not sexually mature or are recently "spent". The connective tissue will eventually become gonadic tissue...unless you are working with Genetically altered MOPs (poliploidic). This tissue is almost as thick as yoghurt when the oysters are ready to breed, it can overflow from the incision...it will coat the nucleus and even the graft-tissue.

So in referring to gonadic tissue you are not referring to the actual gonad where the incision is made, but to tissues within the gonad? Why then, if they tissue is ever present, would not more gas pearls be created (nearly every time)? Within the sac the tissue will always decay, right?

Not necessarily Jeremy...many of these infections do cause problems and the oysters die or -otherwise- attack the infection so utterly that the pearl sac itself dissapears (absorbed) and you usually will only find a "digested" nuclei inside your oyster.

If the bead & graft are in a tight "knit" (I am at a loss of words here) the pearl sac will envelop the nucleus perfectly...producing a round pearl (unless something else happens in the future). If there are bits of organic matter between the tissue and the bead then these will form little bumps, the pearl will not be truly round...but if you have a bead all covered up with "yoghurt", the tissue will envelop all and you will then have the Gas Giant.

Very interesting... How is the market for the completely hollow pearls? They are quite rare, no?
So the smaller bits of tissue between the bead and the sac could still cause infection, and then simply create a baroque pearl?

Yes, that is an important part in the baroque shape development in cultured pearls.
How is the market? We really do not know...we produce very few of these Gas Giants these days, since our knowledge and techniques have improved. We now know how to avoid producing these. But we sold some of these, always making really sure their coating was superb and with a 100% Guarantee.

I have a big (15 mm) blue one here on display...just to impress the crowds.

CortezPearls said:
I have a big (15 mm) blue one here on display...just to impress the crowds.

How about the virtual crowd? BLUE !? :D

Here is the Big Blue Gas Pearl...had to ask our museum's curator for the pearl, so it took me some time to get the photos.

And with no further preamble...

Attachments

• Gas Giants Blue 14mm mini.jpg
    Gas Giants Blue 14mm mini.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Gas Giants Blue 14mm 2mini.jpg
    Gas Giants Blue 14mm 2mini.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 50
And...another pearl. This one has been cracked to allow for better viewing of the nacre thickness and the bead inside. You can see that the bead looks dirty, with a crystal-like substance...just organic matter left behind from the cleaning process.

Hope you find these interesting.

Saludos

Attachments

• Gas Giants Hole 1 mini.jpg
    Gas Giants Hole 1 mini.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Gas Giants Hole 2 mini.jpg
    Gas Giants Hole 2 mini.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 47
Hello Douglas,

Thanks for the great photos! That blue is out of this world!! It's so metallic looking!! Does that color ever show up in the normal run of pearls?

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

THAT, is insane... the blue.

Someone might think you guys are using some biodegradable implant on those 'pocket pearls'! Quite surprising, both of them - the blue and the cracked.

Last edited by a moderator:
We wish we had more Blue Pearls...they are "normal" (I mean, when using a "Rainbow Lipped Oyster" colors are simply fantastic, so "normal" never applies to this species) in a sense, but we can never have enough...(see photo).

We are not "using" a biodegradable substance, but the oysters are...the substance is gonadic tissue, which is basically proteins, fat and sugars.

Most gas giants have a less "terse" skin, sometimes it looks more like the surface of Abalone pearls, but the one we "cracked" has a very nice clean surface and was very much oval in shape.

Attachments

• PMC-2005 Azul reflectante.jpg
    PMC-2005 Azul reflectante.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 54
Wow, what a fantastic color. I feel like I could almost go swimming in it. I can see why you would wish to have more of the blue pearls...looking makes me wish for one too!

Back