Freshwater Dyed Pearls? Branch? Keshi? FW Coin with Tail?

goodluckkitty

Community member
Hi again!

My younger sister loves pearls and gems-- she even considered going to gemology school. Years ago younger sister gave a 14 inch strand of pearls to older sister. Older sister's frame requires a longer set of pearls- maybe even 20". Older sister was loaning me some other pearls (hee hee hee, evil laugh) she doesn't wear, and confessed to me about these lonely ones from her drawer. I was determined to string them or find someone to do it for me!

I have been lurking here for a while so I am familiar with Patricia Saab's offerings for stringing your own pearls. What really caught my eye though was one of pearl and Oregon Sunstone necklaces. I am totally open to ideas about what can be done to go to 19-20" from 14".

So, to figure out what they are, right?

I told younger sister the story and that older sister was embarrassed to ask. Younger sister didn't mind-- she literally will give jewels away when sellers send her little free gifts-- but she told me they were from KOJIMA PEARLS and she thought they were Akoya Keshi. On Etsy I did see one strand that looked similar but these are perhaps more tightly stacked with a little more organic loosey goosey shape to them. Kojima doesn't have those listed in strands right now, but I thought they looked like Chinese Fresh Water Eccentric or Tightly Stacked Nugget Style.

So
1. Is Akoya Keshi correct?
2. Who would be a good person to contact about having them made in to a full necklace? Neither or my sisters married, nor have children. They are the most amazing doting Aunties, but older Auntie is the most precious person to them-- their playmate and adventure guide. She sends them books every few weeks, even though she lives 20 minutes away and they see her 2-3 times per month. So I am OK with the cost of design & labor, materials, additional pearls or gemstones, etc. It would need to be done by Christmas because Auntie's birthday is immediately after, but if it is done earlier, even better. I could do $200-300 for something lovely without blinking. More I would have to pass it by my husband. These would not have to be the FOCAL point, just included in the design. Or they could be the center or evenly spaced. I really don't know how these are usually used.

Thank you so much! I have enjoyed stalking your forum without participating for a while now and you all seem quite lovely.
IMG_8650.jpgIMG_8651.jpgIMG_7587.jpg

They look like freshwater "reborn pearls", from a hybrid freshwater mussel. (Some call them keshi but that is not strictly accurate.)

After first-graft, non-bead nucleated freshwater pearls are removed from their pearl sacs, if the mussel is returned to the water without any further mantle tissue or bead placed inside the pearl sac, these irregularly shaped pearls result. They are all nacre.

I agree, they look like reborn pearls. They're fun and all nacre.

Why not send a photo of the necklace to Sarah at Kojima Pearls and ask if she would lengthen the necklace for you? The round pearls at the back could be quite easily matched. Sarah works in gemstones if you wanted some added. Plenty of time before the Holiday rush, and within the budget you mentioned. Having Sarah lengthen it would also maintain the provenance of the necklace! A delightful and whimsical necklace, sure to draw compliments and start conversations!

Oh thank you so much for the information everyone and the suggestion Pattye! My sister is so fond of them and I know she will be delighted. I am going to email Sarah now.

I am sure Sarah will recognize this cute necklace and will have clever ways to rework it ... she's very creative and wonderful! Please come back and show us :)

I am actually going to have Sarah make two necklaces. One with these reborn pearls, other pearls Sarah thinks will look good and the "Auntie" tag in the back near the clasp. The other necklace will be with the Pearl Paradise strand plus Sarah's similar pearls. Sorry I couldn't straighten my picture but you can see that my sister is a doting Auntie to my children.

Attachments

• auntie1.jpg
    auntie1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 36
  • image2 (1) (1).JPG
    image2 (1) (1).JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7478.jpg
    IMG_7478.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 34
Thank you Pearl Dreams! I am so excited for my kids to give her these necklaces for Christmas and her birthday (four days after.)

When I sent the necklaces to Sarah at Kojima I immediately got a message that she was travelling (which I did know from the website.) I received a message from someone else at Kojima confirming the package was received. When Sarah returned I received a message that she was back and would be working on the project. This week I got the invoice and a photo of the completed necklaces!

I really don't know how I will wait until Christmas and her birthday a few days later.

And the price? Well below my budget. She itemized it so I could see how much I was paying for lengthening each strand in materials, labor and shipping. All of it completely fair and reasonable. I am beyond overjoyed-- thank you so much for the recommendation!

Attachments

• 2kojima.jpg
    2kojima.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 33
It looks great!!! Sarah is really a wonderful person and adds a really nice touch to her designs. I'm glad you like it, but then again, how could you not, right? ;)

Back