Exotic Strands Are Coming!!!!!!!!!!!!

My three strands of 6.5-7mm came today. I will be wearing 2 together for a 36 inch rope and one short. I love these pearls.

Oh lionlaw your torsade is SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!!! :):):) ***WOW FACTOR PLUS***
It's beyond stunning and you must be beyond excited!

Congratulations and may you always enjoy it in good health :)

Everyone's pearls are spectacular! My 7-7.5mm also came today and they are beautiful! My camera is charging as I type....

Mervione, some people here ordered on Thursday after seeing twitter link. Besides, you are overseas so it'd take more than 2-3 days to arrive. So a few days later to string won't really significantly slow down your international shipping time. ;)

I'm not talking about the shipping time, I'm not dumb so I know that it takes extra long because I'm overseas. Just the fact they haven't been strung yet... But I guess these people ordered earlier than me so it's fine. (didn't see the Twitter link). I wasn't upset or anything, because I wont be able to get my hands on them until Christmas anyway since I had them sent to England to avoid 25% taxes. (high taxes are great but not if you are a student that's providing another student with living costs) I'm just surprised, or not really because last time I ordered the exotics I think it took a week before they got strung, all while seeing people receive theirs. :)

I had them sent to England to avoid 25% taxes. :)

Hi Mervione,
So how does that work ?
I pay anything between 25% - 35% tax and other charges when buying from outside the EU......

It is first entry into the EU which attracts duty at the rate imposed by that member state. Thereafter goods circulate freely with no additional taxes or duty imposition allowed by EU law, so if Mervione wanted to buy from any EU pearl supplier she would pay no taxes at all on top of the purchase price as stated
And of course loose pearl strands attract no duty (only VAT) when entering the EU in any case
I'm guessing that Swedish VAT and duty are at a higher rate than UK (esp since our VAT has dropped to 15% until the new year, but it seems to me you are paying too much tax and customs if you are bringing in loose pearls - If you want I can give you the customs codes for clearance

25-35%? That?s not right. The taxes on most things in England are 15% right now, like Pearlescense said.

Or am I mixing things up? I might be talking about VAT, not sure what the difference is. But anyway, in Sweden the import taxes are 25% plus a fee of about 100 SEK.

Wendy, thanks for taking your time and I appreciate it but I haven?t seen pearls like this within the EU so I couldn?t do anything else than get them from U.S.

Import VAT of 15% on goods with a value that exceeds ?18.
Plus Customs Duty on goods with a value that exceeds ?120 (the duty is payable on the total value of the goods, not just on the amount that exceeds ?120.00).
Plus VAT on the shipping charges and on the carrier's collection fees, which are variable depending upon the carrier and the value of the goods.

All of these added together can and have come to 35% of the purchase price.

As Mervione states that her item is being strung, I have assumed that she will be importing a finished piece of jewellery, and therefore not exempt from import duty.

Last edited:
Yes, sorry, I was partly comparing apples and oranges. Any finished jewellery attracts full import duty as well as VAT
Sue is quite correct. I had forgotten that since I only bring in loose pearls

25-35%? That?s not right. The taxes on most things in England are 15% right now, like Pearlescense said.

Or am I mixing things up? I might be talking about VAT, not sure what the difference is. But anyway, in Sweden the import taxes are 25% plus a fee of about 100 SEK.

Wendy, thanks for taking your time and I appreciate it but I haven?t seen pearls like this within the EU so I couldn?t do anything else than get them from U.S.

The 25% you are talking about is the Swedish VAT ("moms") and the fee of 100 SEK is an administrative fee. Information about customs fees (if applicable) can be found here: http://taric.tullverket.se/taric/bin/tagAvdelningar.cgi

To the VAT of 25% and the administration fees which can be a lot more than 100 SEK, you also have duty which depends on WHAT it is you buy (Gold, pearls or something else).

So here I always have to be prepared to pay 30% besides the selling price from the producer/seller.

Lets hope Merviones pearls are not being even more expensive by getting them through England than if she had them delivered directly from the US.

Last edited:
I think Mervione said that the tax was lower in the UK which is why she had them shipped here rather than to Sweden.
Of course, once they are here, they can wizz around all the member states of the EU as much as they want as once they are in the EU there is no more tax or duty payable.
Jerin, if you bought from EU sellers there would of course be no extra taxes or duty payable
Tax = fixed % of purchase price paid on a sale or service. Duty = tax imposed when an item enters a country and can vary according to what is imported. So if importing finished jewellery into any EU state both duty and purchase tax are payable (rates differ between different member states)

Here is a link to a very clear explanation and breakdown of the charges incurred when importing to the U.K. from outside of the EU.
(VAT here has reduced to 15% since the article was written, but will soon be increasing back up to 17.5%)

It also gives an idea of the various carrier's fees for customs clearance (all of which are also subject to VAT).

If you look at the total charges on the example purchase value of ?100.00, the total payable is more than 40% extra to the original purchase price of the goods.

http://www.sloanefox.freeserve.co.uk/importukduty.htm

I think Mervione said that the tax was ls no more tax or duty payable.
Jerin, if you bought from EU sellers there would of course be no extra taxes or duty payable
Tax = fixed % of purchase price paid on a sale or service. Duty = tax imposed when an item enters a country and can vary according to what is imported. So if importing finished jewellery into any EU state both duty and purchase tax are payable (rates differ between different member states)

I am aware of this of course but as Mervione said we do not have a real choice as our European sellers do not offer these Exotics, if they have some they are probably not the same quality as Jeremy?s and neither could we get the same low price. So altogether - I take my chances with the US vendors.:):):)

I am aware of this of course but as Mervione said we do not have a real choice as our European sellers do not offer these Exotics, if they have some they are probably not the same quality as Jeremy?s and neither could we get the same low price. So altogether - I take my chances with the US vendors.:):):)

I have purchased several items from PearlParadise and have been delighted with the goods and the service provided, and, therefore, am a staunch supporter of Jeremy's; indeed, I hope to be buying from PP again soon.

However, I find your statement to be a generalisation in dismissing all European sellers as not having such good quality pearls as they do in the U.S.
As for pricing, by the time I have added all the extra costs imposed by third parties, the end price of the goods will be the same or cheaper if I buy within the EU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back