Education GIA Launches "The Definitive Pearls Course"

knotty panda

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert
GIA Launches "The Definitive Pearls Course"

The JCK Las Vegas Show marks the launch of GIA's latest educational offering - the much anticipated GIA Pearls Course. Promising the most thorough and up-to-date pearl education available anywhere, the 11-assignment distance education course has been developed in collaboration with the world's leading trade organizations including the South Sea Pearl Consortium; Perles de Tahiti G.I.E.; and the Japan Pearl Exporters' Association.

GIA's new Pearls Course has been designed to teach:

a solid knowledge base in: natural, akoya, South Sea, Tahitian, freshwater, keshi, blister, and mabe pearls GIA's 7 Pearl Value Factors(tm) - size, shape, color, luster, surface quality, nacre quality and matching post harvest treatments, imitation pearls, and pearl testing
a review of the most popular types of pearl jewelry surefire sales techniques. The course is priced at $495 for an introductory period, and includes both a fascinating educational support video, which looks at pearl locations and pearl farming, and an in-store display wall chart which chronicles the role played by pearls throughout history.

Completion of the 11-assignments, six questionnaires, and a supervised final exam, will earn the student a GIA Pearls Certificate.

'Even experienced professionals need a course that accounts for the broad new range of pearl color and product lines,' said Joel Schechter, president of Honora. 'The round white akoya will always be a classic, but now there's Tahitian, South Sea, Chinese freshwater, and many more entering the market. GIA's Pearls Course teaches it all!'

Fran Mastoloni, vice president of Frank Mastoloni and Sons, is equally positive in his praise for the course. He said; 'GIA, and many of the world's most respected pearl experts, have produced the definitive pearls course. It's concise, up-to-date, and extraordinarily practical. And it will instantly become the industry standard.'

To gain practical, hands-on experience in grading pearls using the GIA Pearl Description System, students are encouraged to complement their newly found knowledge from the new GIA Pearls Course by also undertaking the GIA Pearl Grading Extension Class, introduced earlier this year. The additional, two-day or four-night, extension class is offered in various cities throughout the United States, and also on campus in Carlsbad, New York, Los Angeles, Italy, Japan and Hong Kong. The extension class also costs $495.

To enroll for the new GIA Pearls Course, the GIA Pearl Grading Extension Class, or to find out more about GIA's educational offerings worldwide call toll-free to (800) 421-7250 ext. 4001 or (760) 603-4001
------------------
Distance learning? I found this ad today. Anyway, it may be a fun thing for those of us with a passion to investigate. I mean, after all, we have the best professors in the world at our disposal to help us along!

Don't do it! Save yourself the $495. That was a news release from the mid 90's. You are looking at the archives, although the date at the top can be misleading.

The GIA is currently rewriting the pearls course, and it may be ready by the end of the year. The old pearl course is outdated, and it was paid for by the industry, so it is not really an unbiased true account of the industry. The new version, however, is GIA funded and should be an unbiased, truthful education on the industry.

If you want to further your pearl education before the new GIA course comes out, get the Strack book! The old GIA course does not even come close to the level and quality of information.

Our old company policy was that every new employee was required to complete the GIA course within the first two months with us. After Strack came out in English, this was the new mandatory text book! The GIA will likely take that position once again when the new course comes out, as the information should be a bit more updated than Strack's. Some of her reports are no longer valid (like the Nan'ao farm).

OOps! Jeremy posted even as I was composing an answer- with the correct and up to date news.

So, get the Strack book. I already have that. At about $136, it is a bargain. Actually I think Strack's book would make a good text for a major in pearls at university level.

Info on how to get it is in the top sticky thread in the Book & Resources forum.

Once again, you all have my back! Thanks! When I copied that article, I specifically looked at the date, but couldn't capture it. It's so nice to have a forum where I can ask questions -- dumb questions -- without fear. Thank you all, once again, thanks!

I know the above is outdated, but is it truly possible to get a GIA certificate by distance learning and no hands-on experience in the lab? I'd be interested in actually getting a certificate if it were possible by distance learning, since it'd definitely broaden my own horizons as well as help me along in my application for a senior position next year if I showed that I had a life outside of work.

Hi All-

Just wanted to mention that the www.GIA.edu website has tons of info and hours of reading!! I for one will be interested in the new pearl course when it is available.

And in the meantime, I have the Strack book to study!!!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi Raison
Get the Strack book. The new pearls course ought to be out soon. The old course has 2 parts-one is book learning the other is hands on, so you could take it too, but if you have visted here, you are already more up to date than the old course, which was primarily concerned with PPB's.:p

Back