Edgy pearl necklaces

The use of snaps on the leather strap by Annie Costello Brown is absolutely inspired. So simple, effective, no cold connection to break.

Fun, pretty, and some can also function as self-defense devices! ;)

Did anyone notice that the "Emma Franklin Tahitian pearl necklace" is a black dyed freshwater?

I totally saw that! I went to the site because I liked the metal work on that item and noticed that all the so-called Tahitian pearls are dyed FW. Oh well...

Unfortunately, misidentification of all sorts is common among smaller designers. At trade shows, believe me, the gem&pearl police would have a heyday! Shell pearls described as Tahitian, resin beads as real coral & turquoise, quartz as topaz, goldfill as 14k, and on and on... I once had a rep who insisted on identifying nearly every stone as topaz. She honestly wasn't trying to mislead anyone - she simply wasn't educated and accuracy isn't as valuable as you'd think when the buyer isn't necessarily a jewelry store, but rather a gift or apparel store. That's why I love this site - since I'm a designer that works with pearls, I feel a personal responsibility to educate myself to represent my work honestly. Plus, I just love seeing all the fabulous pictures!

Hi Sleight,

I'm sure what you say is true. It's great that you want to educate yourself. I would love to see some photos of your work--I don't recall that you have posted any before or at least recently! Thanks!!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Calling freshwaters Tahitian would be deemed to be applying a false trade description in the UK, and the trading standards people could come and look at you with a frown (or even prosecute you in the criminal court if you then kept on doing it)

I must say I am not digging much of that stuff at all.. nothing really grips me to say WOW.. just oh another site

Then again I feel a little spoiled with all the tallent we have here?

cheers

Ash

I thought they were FW, especially after my recent experience. They look just like my FW "Tahitians" that are on their way back to their original owner. I also thought the price should be a give away, since that seems too low for Tahitians with hand worked metal. Did anyone check out the erotic collection listed at the bottom?? :eek: I found it confusing at best, and will stick to sexy pearls. :p Not to cross the line or anything.

I'm kind of with Ash on this one - several of the designs looked like what you can buy from street vendors in China - like the ribbons zigzagged through the pearls, and many others, really - still some of them are OK, but yes, I think we get spoiled here..

Back