Engagement ring

Maztwo

Hello
Being extremely uneducated in all things jewellery and gemstones, I set about designing my engagement ring this week to feature two pearl side stones.
Little did I know that this wasn’t a good idea, until multiple jewellers informed me that pearls were deemed too soft for an engagement ring and that I really should reconsider those side stones.
I’m a bit gutted about this…..I love pearls! I was wondering if anyone on here would happen to know of a pearl alternative I.E a hard wearing white stone (not a fan of opal) that I could use? I’d be most grateful if anyone could take a few moments out to assist.
Thank you!

It's true that pearls are soft and not ideal for an engagement ring, but if you are willing to see the pearls as replaceable, you could still use them in the ring. In other words, when they need to be replaced...replace them.

It's true that pearls are soft and not ideal for an engagement ring, but if you are willing to see the pearls as replaceable, you could still use them in the ring. In other words, when they need to be replaced...replace them.
Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate this. I wasn’t switched on to this way of thinking!

Pearl Dreams has an clever idea :) Make your center stone something "forever", and view those side pearls as "renewing your commitment" ... replace, upgrade, switch to a different color/type of pearl as needed for looks, for anniversary or to celebrate life events etc.!

Pearl Dreams has an clever idea :) Make your center stone something "forever", and view those side pearls as "renewing your commitment" ... replace, upgrade, switch to a different color/type of pearl as needed for looks, for anniversary or to celebrate life events etc.!
Oh my gosh, what an amazing idea!! Thank you so much for sharing!

You could go so far as to have two rings which fit together so for all day every day you wear the tough stones one then when you want to, you add in the pearl ring. Along the lines of those engagement and wedding rings which fit together.

If you decide to go with pearls in your ring, make sure you can remove your ring easily. You do not want to wear the ring while using spray or liquid cleaners, scrubbing the toilet, washing dishes, washing and drying your hair, washing your hands (soap and tap water dulls pearls), using hand sanitizer, swimming in a chlorinated pool, etc. etc. Also, don't soak your hands in nail polish remover, as it will loosen the glue that holds the pearls in place. It's what you use to remove a pearl to replace it.

Have you considered having a pearl as the center stone, with diamonds on the sides instead? I have several rings with this sort of design and they are gorgeous. And the diamonds are hard so having them on the sides is better.

Last edited:
Back