New here, need help with shopping for akoya pearls :)

Samilu1

Hello, I'm currently looking for a strand pearls to make a nice necklace for my girlfriend's birthday. I was looking at this particular listing on etsy. I would love to hear some general opinions about these pearls from some more educated people and if these would be of good value. Also if there are any alternatives that you would recommend in the 100-200€ price range, taking into account that they would need to be shipped to Finland.

Jeremy is right. Even without the link to look at the pearls, I can tell you that a strand of even pretty bad quality akoya pearls will cost more than that.
I also recommend you look at freshwater pearls. Will you also be shopping for a clasp, French wire and thread since you mention you are planning to make a necklace (what a lovely plan!)

Do you have a link to the Etsy shop? If it's a strand you're shopping for, I'd recommend going with a nice strand of freshwater pearls. You won't find any quality akoya pearl strands in that price range.
Unless your willing to dig around on EBay...I know a seller who has a nice strand of 6mm Akoya pearls in that price range and would be happy to give you that store name. They would ship to Finland and you'd have EBay's authentic guarantee. I wasn't sure what size pearl you were looking for. If you're interested message me through the forum and I'll send you the link.

Can you share the eBay link?

A 6 mm strand of akoya with decent nacre and luster is significantly more than the budget at wholesale from a producer or processor. One can still buy akoya strands for as little as $50 wholesale, but these are short-cultured pearls. With akoya, nacre thickness and quality is more important that with any other type of pearl because it's already so relatively thin. They are basically beads that took an oyster bath 🦪🛀. Aesthetically, it's apples and oranges when compared side by side.

For that budget, I would not recommend akoya pearls - especially as a gift for a girlfriend. It truly is the "bottom of the barrel" budget for them. With freshwater, you can get something decent in that range and it will last.

A 6 mm strand of akoya with decent nacre and luster is significantly more than the budget at wholesale from a producer or processor. One can still buy akoya strands for as little as $50 wholesale, but these are short-cultured pearls. With akoya, nacre thickness and quality is more important that with any other type of pearl because it's already so relatively thin. They are basically beads that took an oyster bath 🦪🛀. Aesthetically, it's apples and oranges when compared side by side.

For that budget, I would not recommend akoya pearls - especially as a gift for a girlfriend. It truly is the "bottom of the barrel" budget for them. With freshwater, you can get something decent in that range and it will last.
I shared it with her in a private message...I don't want someone else to grab them before she gets a chance. I have shared it with YOU in a private link so you can see them too...

Good to know. Let me know what you think about the link I sent...

Jeremy is right. Even without the link to look at the pearls, I can tell you that a strand of even pretty bad quality akoya pearls will cost more than that.
I also recommend you look at freshwater pearls. Will you also be shopping for a clasp, French wire and thread since you mention you are planning to make a necklace (what a lovely plan!)
I think I will buy the other supplies needed for the necklace from a local seller if possible. But if you have some recommendations for supplies that wouldn't be too much of a hassle to ship to Finland I would love to take a look.

You are going to have a very hard time finding anything good and affordable locally. I am in Denmark and I never buy locally. The problem with almost all of the online vendors here, that I know and trust, is that you have to pay duty and VAT to get them to the Eu which makes it hard to return. You might want to check Cees on Instagram, though. He sells from the EU and you can talk to him about what you are looking for.

Alternatively you could look at local auctions. Pearls don't keep their value well so you might be able to find a good deal at a reputable online auction house. The 'cheaper' one here in Denmark is https://www.lauritz.com/. I am sure they also ship to Finland and it's in the EU.

I had a strand of $50 Akoyas. They weren't pretty up close and I only used them a short time. Jeremy's suggestion of looking for a freshwater strand instead is a good one.

You are going to have a very hard time finding anything good and affordable locally. I am in Denmark and I never buy locally. The problem with almost all of the online vendors here, that I know and trust, is that you have to pay duty and VAT to get them to the Eu which makes it hard to return. You might want to check Cees on Instagram, though. He sells from the EU and you can talk to him about what you are looking for.

Alternatively you could look at local auctions. Pearls don't keep their value well so you might be able to find a good deal at a reputable online auction house. The 'cheaper' one here in Denmark is https://www.lauritz.com/. I am sure they also ship to Finland and it's in the EU.

I had a strand of $50 Akoyas. They weren't pretty up close and I only used them a short time. Jeremy's suggestion of looking for a freshwater strand instead is a good one.
This sounds like very solid advice. Sorry it's so hard to find a good deal.

Back