Ebay advise

L

lopez123

Hello, I am looking at a beautiful ring on ebay described as below. I had lots of help from Jshepard and just looking to see if anyone has heard any news (good or bad) on seller oldcities1. This seller has many good feedbacks and it doesn't look like this type of pearl is 'usual' on his site. I understand that Circa 1935 may be pretty rare for what is described below... Bidding ends in 3 days...so just looking for any advice. Does this look too good to be true?Thanks! lopez123

"A stunning ring crafted of 14K yellow gold and set with 14 natural,
freshwater seed pearls measuring 5 X 3.5mm. The pearls are a bright white in
color with rich iridescence. Set in bewteen the pearls are 2 round cut
diamonds, approximately .02 carats total weight. The diamonds average SI in
clarity and G in color. Both setting and stones are in excellent and the
ring dates from circa 1935. The shank is 1.5mm in width and the face of the
ring measures 22 X 17mm rising 10mm above the finger. The ring weighs 4
grams, is a size 7, and can be resized either way by a competent jeweler."

I found the ring on eBay that you are referring to. I also did a little research on the seller, and from what I can see the seller seems to be honest. But I am concerned about that particular ring. It looks like a style that is made now in China from freshwater pearls. The description states that the pearls are natural freshwater, but they do not look like natural pearls to me. Natural freshwater seed pearls tend to have a textured surface, not smooth as is shown in the picture. Also, if the ring is from 1935 I do not think the pearls would still be a bright white and in the condition described. The pearls would have to be cared for extremely well to make it this long. Pearls are delicate, and pearls that have been preserved from 1935 are typically older-looking, with a cream to yellow coloration.

I feel that you can trust this seller, as the seller is also a Website owner. Fraudulent sellers rarely have Websites. But I am a bit wary about this particular piece. I would almost certainly say it is not as old as stated, but rather new, actually. The pearls look to be a good quality of seed pearl, and China has not produced nice ones such as these for more than a decade.

I hope I have been of help!
www.selectraders.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with the last post. It is very hard to believe that this ring is from 1935. I think it is possible, but the pearls look new, and definitely do not look natural. I agree that the seller seems to be one of rare, honest sellers on eBay. They have a nice Website. But the only concern I have is that some of the pieces may be 'guesses' in terms of dating. I would want to know how they are dating their pieces, especially this piece.

If the piece is new it is not extremely valuable. The pearls would probably cost less than a dollar wholesale, and the diamonds, being as small as they are, would cost about $10. The gold and design is what you would be paying for. I would say in the US the ring could go for $100-$150 if new. If purchased wholesale it would cost closer to $50-$75.

Ebay Advise

Ebay Advise

(I am new to postings...I hope I get this reply out okay). I want to thank both of you very much. This all ties in to what I have been hearing on pearls. I think I will send a question to the seller for clarification. I bid a max of $126.00 and that still didn't meet the reserve of the seller...so I thought I'd stop and research before bidding higher. I really like the style and setting of the ring but don't want to pay a high price for a ring that really may not be circa 1935. THanks soooo much! lopez123

Back