Do Golden South Sea pearls have overtones?

Golden South Sea pearls do have overtones, but they tend to be a lot more subdued with less contrast than you would find in Tahitian pearls. The aragonite platelets that make up the nacre of South Sea pearls are a lot thicker, and their overtone is more due to iridescence than body color (as in Tahitians), so with less diffraction than you would see in an akoya, the overtones are going to be much more subtle.

Well said Jeremy,
Pattye, I think with the goldens it's all about the in your face boldness of colour (deep gold).
I once sold a barouqe deep gold strand to a lady in Sydney. The deep gold on very barouqe pearls wasn't far off actually being gawdy.
It was so nearly too much to look at. Totally in your face beautiful. Within a couple of harvests I hope that Bron and I can replicate it. A very rare peice.
There you go I'm getting off track again, Jeremy answered you fully. see ya.

What are the common overtones in golden pearls? And/OR

What contributes to the range of hues in the light golds to deep dark golds? Is it correct to say that I like golden golds. I'm not a fan of champagne colour as they draw to the flesh/pink tones or to the other extreme the dark golds as they appear almost brown. I've not seen too many golden pearls in person most of my research is what I can see on line.

Golden South Sea pearls do have overtones, but they tend to be a lot more subdued with less contrast than you would find in Tahitian pearls. The aragonite platelets that make up the nacre of South Sea pearls are a lot thicker, and their overtone is more due to iridescence than body color (as in Tahitians), so with less diffraction than you would see in an akoya, the overtones are going to be much more subtle.

Hi Rusty,

When you say "in your face boldness of colour are you referring to the very dark golds". Deep gold versus intense gold, is there a difference?

Well said Jeremy,
Pattye, I think with the goldens it's all about the in your face boldness of colour (deep gold).
I once sold a barouqe deep gold strand to a lady in Sydney. The deep gold on very barouqe pearls wasn't far off actually being gawdy.
It was so nearly too much to look at. Totally in your face beautiful. Within a couple of harvests I hope that Bron and I can replicate it. A very rare peice.
There you go I'm getting off track again, Jeremy answered you fully. see ya.

The "common" overtones in golden pearls is "Gold".
We had one in last years harvest with green overtones and only occasionally we see the to die for "pink" ( think rose gold) quite rare to my knowledge.
Bron and I are pursueing the later colour with our experimentation.
Sorry I didn't mention this before Pattye.
Deep gold verses intense gold?
This question highlights for Bron and I what we see as the biggest flaw in our industry. THERE IS NO RECOGNISED STANDARD.
This is the main door for the shonks of the world to use as an entry to your wallet/purse.
The fact that an individual pearls colour can vary so much depending on light conditions when you are looking at it with the naked eye, "what chance a photo replicating this variance".
I have noted posts on Pearl-Guide refering to 18k, 24k etc for gold pearls. I have not heard of this method before. Any method people use, is subject to "their" interpretation. I have seen first hand, dealers fobbing off Champagne for deep gold before in the hope of the recipient just accepting it.
I personally am surprised that people actually buy strands on the internet. It's good for the industry that people buy strands, full stop. It's said the internet is the future, look at the ease of conversation through this forum, who can argue. I'm in my 50's, maybe this is the basis of my problem, but, for me, the joy of becomming the owner of a strand is an experience to be relished in the flesh. Feel them, compare them, roll them along yor arm, try them around your neck and then have them wrapped. This folks, is the joy of becomming the exclusive owner of a strand of pearls. Thats just my opinion.
By all means Artpearl, buy online if you wish. Or, perhaps plan a long weekend trip to a respected dealer (Have a discussion on the phone with them to ensure they may have what you want).
If you are a normal person Artpearl, you will only need to buy one "Gold" strand in your life, Get it right Kid.
I nearly forgot to say, flaws realy stand out on "Golds".
Back here at the farm, we are quite busy as we've just finished the turning cycle with our last seeding. In the morning we start cleaning then X-raying the shell, then out into the river for two and a half more years.
That's it for me, Good night all.

You are right, I will only buy one gold pearl necklace and I will only do so when it is "right". I'm doing this research to ensure as much as possible that I do get this right.

I also agree with the "joy of becoming the owner of a strand is an experience to be relished in the flesh. Feel them, compare them, roll them along yor arm, try them around your neck and then have them wrapped" . The research also supports this particularly as it applies to luxury items.

Flaws on gold do really stand out. I was completely turned off by the strand I saw which appeared pitted. So does this mean that AA graded pearls will also appear "pitted" and therfore I should only look at AA+ quality. Colour is another issue entirely.

We had one in last years harvest with green overtones and only occasionally we see the to die for "pink" ( think rose gold) quite rare to my knowledge.
Bron and I are pursueing the later colour with our experimentation.
Sorry I didn't mention this before Pattye.
Deep gold verses intense gold?
This question highlights for Bron and I what we see as the biggest flaw in our industry. THERE IS NO RECOGNISED STANDARD.
This is the main door for the shonks of the world to use as an entry to your wallet/purse.
The fact that an individual pearls colour can vary so much depending on light conditions when you are looking at it with the naked eye, "what chance a photo replicating this variance".
I have noted posts on Pearl-Guide refering to 18k, 24k etc for gold pearls. I have not heard of this method before. Any method people use, is subject to "their" interpretation. I have seen first hand, dealers fobbing off Champagne for deep gold before in the hope of the recipient just accepting it.
I personally am surprised that people actually buy strands on the internet. It's good for the industry that people buy strands, full stop. It's said the internet is the future, look at the ease of conversation through this forum, who can argue. I'm in my 50's, maybe this is the basis of my problem, but, for me, the joy of becomming the owner of a strand is an experience to be relished in the flesh. Feel them, compare them, roll them along yor arm, try them around your neck and then have them wrapped. This folks, is the joy of becomming the exclusive owner of a strand of pearls. Thats just my opinion.
By all means Artpearl, buy online if you wish. Or, perhaps plan a long weekend trip to a respected dealer (Have a discussion on the phone with them to ensure they may have what you want).
If you are a normal person Artpearl, you will only need to buy one "Gold" strand in your life, Get it right Kid.
I nearly forgot to say, flaws realy stand out on "Golds".
Back here at the farm, we are quite busy as we've just finished the turning cycle with our last seeding. In the morning we start cleaning then X-raying the shell, then out into the river for two and a half more years.
That's it for me, Good night all.

Flaws on gold do really stand out. I was completely turned off by the strand I saw which appeared pitted. So does this mean that AA graded pearls will also appear "pitted" and therfore I should only look at AA+ quality. Colour is another issue entirely.

in which case, yes, I would say so, AA+ and above

these are AAA earrings for you to have a look at......

http://www.pearlparadise.com/Classic-Collection-Golden-South-Sea-Pearl-Dangle-Earrings166.aspx

you must be having a lot of fun :)

Hey Rusty,

I'd think the most common overtone is yellow, as even the farms specializing in gold SSP produce a lot more yellow than gold, which often has a yellow overtone.

I understand your thoughts about buying on the Internet. It is something that I've spent the last 15 years working to overcome. Those that discovered shopping online even for pearls would rarely, for the most part, shop in a regular retail outlet.

While buying on the Internet does have the disadvantage of not allowing the buyer to really feel the pearls, it offers other things that no brick and mortar can compete with. Between South Sea white, gold and Tahitian, we have more than 1000 full strands in stock, which include rounds, drops, ovals, circles, baroques and even keshi in most colors, overtones and a wide range of sizes. Most retail establishments don't carry one of each type, let alone such an assortment of options. In a retail establishment, buyers' choices are limited to what the retailer carries over what looks best on their skin.

Retail outlets also can't compete on price. The economy of scale simply doesn't allow it as the retailers can't purchase entire harvests or large separated lots. Most retailers in the US purchase from the old pearl houses on the East Coast or by memo and consignment - a piece at a time.

The only way online companies can then compete with the experience of a B&M is to limit restrictions. The customer may see photos of a half dozen strands, often with macro shots of each section of every necklace, but cannot make up their mind. Most online sellers would then ship all the strands to them, free of charge, and invite them to examine them for a few days with different outfits and in different lighting, and then send back those that didn't pass, or send back all.

I personally feel that online pearl shoppers are the savviest of all customers. They've done their research and they're educated, so when they time comes, they are more confident in their choice than ever before.

A very good point Jeremy
My previous yarn was more focused on the Gold as opposed to the very much higher number of yellows (Champagne).
If you are prepared to ship several strands to a vetted potential customer then all power to you. That is the type of customer front the Pearl industry needs. If you can maintain that customer service you will surely become an Industry leader ( if you are not already).
The long term goal for Bronwyn and I is to offer the service of when you want a strand of pearls, come to the farm, for a couple of day's, select the pearls and have the strand drilled and tied on site and go home happy and relaxed after hopefully a nice rewarding break.
As we are small, Australia is our recognised market.
We are in an industry with leaders like Paspaley for who just another customer will spend 100k to 500+k for a new strand ( and make multiple purchases over their life). I deal more with everyday people that will possibly buy just one strand in their lifetime from 2k to 20k. When you considder the reality that its a once in a liftime purchase, actually being involved in the strands creation is a very rewarding moment to be cherished and remembered every time the strand is worn and admired.
I personally feel this is the future for strand sales. A complete package with direct buyer creative input.
I admire your business Jeremy and on seeing the utube flick with the guy interviewing you and showing the vault beleive you to be Bricks and Mortar.
Are you open to the public as in off the street? Do you have naked pearls for a visitor to create a strand?

Gidday Artpearl
It's raining this morning, that's why I'm not cleaning and X-raying.
You ask about AA+.
I do not like this method on the basis every pearl has at least one A attached to it.
This is "My Standard".
Gem grade. Absolutely flawless, Drop dead Gorgeous.
A grade. If Round can have only one pit. If drop can have one pit but must be on Top of the drop shape. If a drop with one pit on the side, becomes a B.
B grade. No more than a 30 % area of surface flawed.
C grade. Must be able to hold up showing a clean "side". Sometimes a pearl will have great lustre but very small blemishes all around ( You have to look very close to see them) I put these into "C" also.
D grade. These are blemished all over or if you prefere don't have a clean side, but should have decent lustre. These are surprisingly good for earrings as people don't tend to stare at earrings. I made a pair for Bronwyn with some West Australian stones ( non-prescious gems) and many people complement them.
That is how I grade pearls Artpearl, on the subject of "how many A's can a pearl Have", I suggest you pick up the phone to Jeremy.
Have a nice day folks, Rusty.

Visiting a farm and choosing your own pearls is definitely the full experience!

We aren't bricks and mortar, although we do have an appointment-only showroom. There are no signs on the street, and although we do have the very occasional walk-in, it's something we discourage. We close the showroom to all visitors during our four primary holiday months. Our business is very near 100% online.

All of the lots we deal with (Tahitian and South Sea) arrive undrilled, and we'll typically have several lots that we keep that way, and a lot of customers (and members of this forum) do come in and match their own pieces. The large, round strands are drilled and matched here, but I usually send the drops and circles to Japan to be drilled there.

I'd love to visit PP's showroom someday-- maybe when my daughter is grown. She's 16 now so that's not too many years away!

As far as once-in-a-lifetime purchases, many of here on P-G have found that buying pearls only makes us crave more pearls-- woe to the wallet! :D I'm certainly not done buying pearls-- but I do have to save up for each purchase.

Now I have a question about the statement that flaws show up more on gold colored pearls. Is this really true? More than on Tahitians, or Akoyas or natural-colored CFWP? I wonder why that is? I've noticed that the more lustrous my pearls are, the less the flaws show up generally.

Yes, we are all drawn to the PP 'VAULT' :cool:

In days gone by, this is where the dragon would have slept on pearls, probably for a century or more, and when she awoke, her tummy would have been encrsusted with them.... so when you spy a full moon shrouded by cloud, it just might be the dragon flying overhead, showing off her marvelous tummy.... :)

Last edited:
I think gold SS with a bit of green overtones is about my favorite pearl. If anyone is looking for a gift for me. I'll wear it. ;)

Could we have a seminar on golden South Sea pearls with lots of show and tell Sunday AM at the next Ruckus? I wanna see some of those greeny overtones!!!!!

All this discussion on Ruckus made me look to see what this reference was. This appears to be a very exciting forum. Is this a place where a consumer can go and see maybe even buy? Would I see a range of SSP pearls and be able to try on various colours, etc?

Back