Do Golden South Sea pearls have overtones?

Yes, I am having fun but realize how little I know about pearls. I'm at the begining of the learning curve and am grateful to have this forum to help me on this journey. I realize that I have to take my time in the next purchase to know exeactly what I am buying.

you must be having a lot of fun :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Jeremy,

Would you be able to direct me to a site/page where I can see the range of gold SSP? Including what a yellow looks like.

One thing for sure, I'm pretty much decided on not to purchase from a Brick and morter shop as they have very limited offerings and even less knowledge, not to mention economies of scale.

I'm still in the information gathering stage of my learning but I will definately call upon your expertise and when I'm ready. I've been focusing on golds as they are my hearts desire, I've not discounted whites just in case golds really do not look good with my coloring.

I really appreciate hearing from you and all forum members about experiences, knowledge, etc. It continues to ge a wealth of information about the pearl industry.

Thank you.

Hey Rusty,

I'd think the most common overtone is yellow, as even the farms specializing in gold SSP produce a lot more yellow than gold, which often has a yellow overtone.

I understand your thoughts about buying on the Internet. It is something that I've spent the last 15 years working to overcome. Those that discovered shopping online even for pearls would rarely, for the most part, shop in a regular retail outlet.

While buying on the Internet does have the disadvantage of not allowing the buyer to really feel the pearls, it offers other things that no brick and mortar can compete with. Between South Sea white, gold and Tahitian, we have more than 1000 full strands in stock, which include rounds, drops, ovals, circles, baroques and even keshi in most colors, overtones and a wide range of sizes. Most retail establishments don't carry one of each type, let alone such an assortment of options. In a retail establishment, buyers' choices are limited to what the retailer carries over what looks best on their skin.

Retail outlets also can't compete on price. The economy of scale simply doesn't allow it as the retailers can't purchase entire harvests or large separated lots. Most retailers in the US purchase from the old pearl houses on the East Coast or by memo and consignment - a piece at a time.

The only way online companies can then compete with the experience of a B&M is to limit restrictions. The customer may see photos of a half dozen strands, often with macro shots of each section of every necklace, but cannot make up their mind. Most online sellers would then ship all the strands to them, free of charge, and invite them to examine them for a few days with different outfits and in different lighting, and then send back those that didn't pass, or send back all.

I personally feel that online pearl shoppers are the savviest of all customers. They've done their research and they're educated, so when they time comes, they are more confident in their choice than ever before.

Artpearl,

I think you're making the right decision shopping online. I am with you on the golds as well. I do think the whites are gorgeous, but you can find other large white pearls--including fresh waters costing much less--that, although, not SS pearls, do offer a very similar look. There is something about gold SS pearls that are just unique. The first time I saw golden SS pearls was in Tiffany's and I thought they were 18k gold beads. When I learned they were pearls and that the gold was natural--they blew me away. Really quite spectacular. If you LOVE pearls, it seems to me that this has to be the strand you just have to buy at some point in your life.

I have been working with Chenai from Pearl Paradise and she has been very helpful in sending me photos of various strands, along with comparisons to other strands to get a sense of the different shades, tones and blemishes. It's really hard to tell subtle difference in tone on a computer screen--even if those difference would be very noticeable in person. In any case, even with all the help, I haven't seen a strand that has screamed out, "buy me" just yet though. The more research I do and the more I shop around, the more convinced I am that I need to take my time with this and not worry about birthday deadlines etc. I did have a little brainstorm the other day. To get a sense of size and color, I bought a few different strands of gold shell pearl strands in various tones and sizes. They were about $15 a strand and you can find them through a lot of bead and craft stores online (or you can spend more through amazon---but I am not buying them for wearing--so, I don't need finished jewelry). I am not sure yet how much they approximate real golden SS pearls, but at least they will give me a reference point to work off. It might be worth your while as well, since this will give you a good way to determine which size and tone works best for you (without having tons of different strands of the real McCoy to try on). Once you know exactly what you want, I think the shopping experience will become much easier. Just my 3 cents. :)

Last edited:
Hello est190,

Did you leave Chenai at PP your email on line to get started? And have you already determined which gold colour you are seeking?

THe prices vary greatly on line but not sure if we are comparing apples to apples.

Hello Artpearl,

I just came across this thread recently. We primarily produce golden south sea pearls. We hold several educational lectures around the world about south sea pearls. Where are you located?

Best Regards,

Jacques Christophe Branellec

hmm.. Golden SSP can come with various overtones actually, of course depending on the body color there is anything possible from champagne, pistachio, bronze, cream and of course deep golden.

My Favorites are the ones with a tint or more of pistachio!

1000x1405217a.jpg

1000x1405220a.jpg

Deep Golden ones are just....

1000x1404832a.jpg

Bronze

1000x1405116a.jpg

And so on... :)

Thank you for showing us those examples, Sven. Should come with a bib, though. I'm drooling :)

- Karin

Bonjour Jacques,

Sorry for the long response time. I'm located in Toronto, Canada, but travel often to Montreal, my home town.

If you have a calendar of lectures in Europe, I am also planning to travel in the coming months.

Thanks, Artemis

Hello Artpearl,

I just came across this thread recently. We primarily produce golden south sea pearls. We hold several educational lectures around the world about south sea pearls. Where are you located?

Best Regards,

Jacques Christophe Branellec

Back