Inherited PEARLS What are they? South Sea Golden?

Kimmie

Are these South sea Golden Pearls? They have a vintage 14K clasps.
Inherited PEARLS What are they?

South Sea Golden?

Hi Kimmie!
And welcome to the Pearl-Guide.com :)
Would it be possible to retake those photos using a more "neutral" background? Maybe a light gray or cream colored background will help. I cannot discern color all that well with this background.

Hi Kimmie!
And welcome to the Pearl-Guide.com :)
Would it be possible to retake those photos using a more "neutral" background? Maybe a light gray or cream colored background will help. I cannot discern color all that well with this background.
Oh yes I’m sorry I should’ve thought of that 😊I will go take a better photo for you. Thank you

Thank you for the photos!
Yes, looks like Golden South Seas...more on the "champagne" color spectrum.

Oh my! I didn't know I was talking with Jeremy Shepherd of Pearl Paradise! nice to meet you!
The background makes it hard to discern, but it looks like a light golden South Sea circle strand. It's not vintage though.
Oh thank you so much! I wasn't sure if it was vintage because the clasp looked like some older vintage pieces I have. Now to figure out what they are worth :)

How nice to inherit SSP! Will you wear them?

People often come here asking what their inherited pearls are worth. In most cases, the value of inherited pearls is mostly their sentimental value, as pre-owned pearls don't tend to hold their value on resale. But if for any reason you are thinking of selling, you can check online (e.g. eBay) to see what similar necklaces sold for recently, and that should give you an idea of what people are willing to pay for them.
I don't think you need to be worried about insuring them.

Objectively speaking, golden SSP are most valuable if they are round, a deep golden color and have a clean surface. And of course size matters. Circled pearls and light shades of gold or yellow are more common, so less valuable (but I find the rings charming and the shapes interesting.)

How nice to inherit SSP! Will you wear them?

People often come here asking what their inherited pearls are worth. In most cases, the value of inherited pearls is mostly their sentimental value, as pre-owned pearls don't tend to hold their value on resale. But if for any reason you are thinking of selling, you can check online (e.g. eBay) to see what similar necklaces sold for recently, and that should give you an idea of what people are willing to pay for them.
I don't think you need to be worried about insuring them.

Objectively speaking, golden SSP are most valuable if they are round, a deep golden color and have a clean surface. Circled pearls and light shades of gold or yellow are more common, so less valuable (but I find the rings charming and the shapes interesting.)
Good information thank you! They don't hold any sentimental value but they ARE beautiful and I would wear them if I can't sell them. The lady I inherited them from (a dear friend) has TONS of jewelry so I am trying to go through and get pricing to sell some of them. I don't wear jewelry enough to have them sitting in our safe. I'd rather have the $$$ lol

I can certainly understand that! Well, apart from checking eBay for sold prices you could look on Etsy at new golden SS necklaces of similar quality to see what price they are listed at, but remember, people expect to pay less for a pre-owned necklace than new.

Many people sell their pre-owned jewelry on Loupe Troop, which IMO never has enough pearl listings. You can always start a bit higher and reduce the price if it doesn't sell. If you are a member of Pricescope, they have a Pre-Owned jewelry section (visible only to signed in members) where you can post a photo and link to what you are selling on another venue, to attract attention to it. It just can't be sold on Pricescope as there is no private messaging there, therefore no way to share contact information etc.

You could also try consigning them locally with a jeweler, or a consignment shop if they have a fine jewelry case. Of course then you will only get 50% or so of what they sell for, and many shops halve the price after 30 days, unless specifically instructed not to do so. And you have to be careful to retrieve it before the consignment period ends, or it may be donated! But it saves you dealing with selling it privately.

Thank you so much! Yes I am a seller on Ebay and was going to look up sold pricing. I don't want to consign because as you say, you only get a percentage and I will get more if I sell it myself. Maybe on 1stDibs?

Back