Dislike of akoyas??

Sanippy

Hi guys, I've read a lot of the threads on this forum and one theme that I've come across several times is posters mentioning that they don't like Akoya pearls, I think the word 'hate' was even used once!

Of course not everyone dislikes akoyas but for those that do can you please tell me why? Is it because they are bead nucleated and not pure nacre like freshwaters? If so, how come people don't seem to 'hate' SS pearls as well? Or is it because the nacre isn't as thick on akoyas? Or you just don't like the look?

I'm very interested as I think akoyas are beautiful but would love to hear everyone's thoughts!

I love akoya pearls so I am with you. My first ever pearls was an akoya 3 strand bracelet which is now considered vintage! I have a beautiful strand too. I love the texture of them and the lustre too, they are very classy and I really really want a blue akoya strand!

Not having read the post that uses the word "hate", I can only guess the context of such messages. Perhaps it's because Akoyas represent the classic white round pearls, and many of us enthusiasts prefer the coloured or baroque pearls for their character and variety.

But I confess that for me, there was the element of sour grapes. For a time, I found the superior-quality white pearls very expensive. It was easy to rationalize my purchase of the less expensive ovals, baroques, and rippled ones by saying "They're so much more interesting than classic whites."

Once I had bought and enjoyed all these unconventional beauties, I was drawn again to the classic white Akoyas. When I finally came across a strand of highly lustrous and relatively large (9.5mm) Akoya pearls, I could no longer resist. I paid for them without a second thought.

We are seeing much better akoya pearls these days. There was a time when they started pulling the pearls out of the oysters before they were ready and had no depth and the nacre wore right off the beads.

Thanks for your responses lavenderjade, cyndaco and gemgeek! I'm glad that there are other Akoya lovers out there and that the quality has improved!

Oh, there are certainly a lot of akoya lovers amongst us! I'm raising my hand high.

I love my akoyas!

My grandmother gave me her graduated akoyas when I was about 16 and I have been hooked ever since - but then I'm a very staid, stuck in my ways sort of person - and, with my lifestyle these days, I need and wear very little jewellery apart from my old favourites.

However, I LOVE looking at everyone else's beauties on this forum and am constantly amazed by the variety, colour, lustre, orient, design, workmanship etc etc that I see and I love how different types of pearls suit different people.

I can't venture to guess why the specific said they "hated" akoyas because I am familiar with the situation. Is it a fleeting thought, or a true dislike that is difficult to overcome?

Akoyas have a special place among pearls as a kind of standard; if one does not have them, they can difficult to buy because a top strand is very expensive. On the other hand, many people have them as their first set of pearls, and develop a taste for other pearls, or go to FWP because they are durable for daily wear.

There are also other pearls that are kind of the antithesis of the perfect image of akoyas. Perhaps that poster is enthralled with those pearls.

I tend to agree with GemGeek that akoyas' having thin nacre was the likely turn-off. It was for me.

Back in August 1985, National Geographic had an article about pearls that told about how the nacre of akoyas was so much thinner than it used to be, due to their being harvested sooner. It said that they would not last long enough to be passed along to the next generation.

I had long been an admirer of pearls and wanted a round strand (which would have been akoyas in those days) but after reading the article, I decided to stick to high end imitations for my round pearls. I couldn't see spending thousands of dollars, only to get pearls with paper-thin nacre that would peel and wear through. For real pearls, I stuck to wearing my freshwater Biwa necklace.

I was married wearing the Majorica (imitation) strand I had bought in 1986. For our first Christmas, in 1992, my husband bought me a 30" Majorica strand. These looked better than most of the akoyas at our local mall. (I actually went around one day and compared them side by side.)

I didn't think any more about buying genuine round pearls until I saw a desirable round strand one summer while on a family day trip, when our daughter was in 3rd grade or so. It was 7.5-8mm and around $850. I was amazed at the price and had to try them on, although they were not in our budget for an impulse buy. Learning that they were freshwaters was a game-changing revelation. All-nacre round pearls were being produced! The thin-nacre issue of akoyas could be circumvented! I was once again interested in obtaining genuine pearls.

I began buying FW pearls at area gem shows to string myself, but they were not as round or fine as the ones I'd seen at the jeweler. Not long after that, I discoved Pearl-Guide, and soon bought a nice strand of white "Freshadama" brand freshwaters, and eventually some of the metallic whites, which satisfy my "lust" for luster. I've even gotten a few vintage graduated akoya strands.

However, the pearls I wear the most often are my non-white ones. And this is the main reason that high end akoyas (the only kind I would buy, with their thicker nacre and beautiful luster ) are still not on my shopping list. That, and the size. I have plenty of smaller pearls and if I get more white ones, I think maybe they would be SSP.

I have a variety of Akoya strands myself, however, unless I win the lottery, I am unlikely to get a Hanadamas as I cannot justify its high price when compared to top of the range CFWPs.

DK :)

I love high quality Akoya pearls. I think they are beautiful and classic and I love wearing mine when having a nice evening out.

What I wear most of the time though are baroque Tahitians, as they go really well with my work wardrobe. Classic round white pearls would be too formal for my workplace, but baroque Tahitian strands go beautifully with the separates I tend to wear in lieu of a more formal suit.

One issue for me was that white Akoyas could yellow with age.
Two, they wear out. My first set of pearls was an akoya strand bought from an antique store, older, so it had good thick nacre. I wore it daily for I think 10 years, but silly as it is, I was kind of crushed when it wore down to the bead.

eta - unclear photo, I know. Actually, they had a nice enough luster that they reflected my blouse color well.

I certainly did love the perfect graduation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Cmd, these are my "little" pearls. Ironic pearls, as 'twere (giggles) but I loved them. I'd already worn them every day for 6yrs.

Last edited:
*Sigh*
In one of life's little ironies meant to keep us humble, I received the email from PP about the new baroque akoyas shortly after posting here.

I just bought a strand of the 9.5-10mm white baroque akoyas at PP (I already have blue ones.)

Larger size than my other white pearls...check.
Much lower price (than the Hanadamas) ...check.
The iridescence of a baroque pearl...check.

Feel free to have a chuckle at my expense! ;)

Naaaah, because you're getting some new pearls! That'll ease your pain. ;)

So true, Lisa!

I actually phoned my husband to give him a chance to talk me out of getting them.
Twice.
He just encouraged me to buy them!

So it's all his fault. :rolleyes:

Haha definitely your husbands fault! The baroque akoyas look fabulous :D

Wait, there is more history with me and baroque akoyas.
*sigh*

Three years ago or so, I bought a smallish (7-7.5mm) baroque akoya strand from a Chinese eBay seller. They cost very little and I liked their luster. They were not great pearls, but they were fun, and did I mention, cheap?

One day I had them on when an old friend was over my house for lunch. She loved them; I gave them to her. She left, thrilled. She is petite and they looked great on her.

After a bit, I wrote back to the seller to see if she had more baroque akoyas (normally she only sells FWP). She had one strand, she said, but the nacre was thin. "How thin could it be?", I wondered. They cost the same as the first strand, so I bought them.

When the package arrived, I laughed out loud when I saw the pearls. She really meant it when she said the nacre was thin! They were grotesquely bad. I kept them just to remind myself not to buy any more baroque akoyas on eBay! Needless to say, I do not wear them.

But PP is not eBay, not by a long shot! I'm really looking forward to seeing the iridescence on these pearls. I'll post photos when they (eventually) get here.

My husband is home and I read your remarks. Gave him a smile. :D
He's actually indulged me a bit lately because my mother recently passed away. She had Alzheimer's and it was a long, slow decline. But she always loved my pearls, so I think of her when I wear them.

Back