Dislike of akoyas??

Pearl Dreams -- I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. My thoughts are with you.

Pearl Dreams, I traveled that same slippery, downhill slope with my own mom for way too many years. Sending you gentle hugs.

This might be a good time and place to confess that I too fell under the spell of those white baroque akoya pearls ... here's a little peek :) Now the husband's reaction, you ask? Well, great sighs of relief and not to many complaints, as I first started out telling him I needed 2 blue strands to make a rope, and ... LOL, he thinks he's getting off easy :)
WhiteBaroqueAkoya.jpg

Oh, my, Cathy! They are gorgeous! You'd have to look closely to see they are baroque from that photo.

Oh now I'm filled with regret for being good! Those are fantastic! I'm so excited for you!!! (And yes, it's totally your DH's fault!)

Fortunately, I LIKE baroque shaped pearls. There are ripples, surface crepe textures etc., when viewed up close ... and I love that! I usually don't post till I have a finished piece in my hands but as it seemed to be the topic of the day ... :)

Beautiful akoyas, CathyKeshi! They look so lustrous! I am having second thoughts, too.

I am looking forward to more shots!!!

My husband is home and I read your remarks. Gave him a smile. :D
He's actually indulged me a bit lately because my mother recently passed away. She had Alzheimer's and it was a long, slow decline. But she always loved my pearls, so I think of her when I wear them.

So sorry to hear about your Mother, but how happy for you to think of her when you wear your pearls.

Thank you-- and yes, I will always associate her with my pearls. It was she who gave me my first real pearls, the Biwa strand, on Christmas of 1980.

For herself, she always wore the Majorica strand her mother had brought back for her on one of her trips back to the home country, Italy. Mom used to think they were real, but even after she understood they were not real, she wore them for sentimental reasons, especially after my grandmother died. As her dementia took greater hold, she wore them day and night and spilled food on them, so I restrung them with Power Pro so that I could wash them for her.

I made some natural colored FWP necklaces for her, and she always thanked me, but just wore the Majoricas. Right up until a month or so before she died, she would always compliment my pearls.

What's not to love about akoyas?

When they 'die', you can replace them...

With a beautiful new strand for example?

Or you can re-invent them and incorporate them in a multi coloured/textured necklace that looks nothing like the original!!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 8.jpg
    FullSizeRender 8.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 25
  • FullSizeRender 13.jpg
    FullSizeRender 13.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 30
  • FullSizeRender 15.jpg
    FullSizeRender 15.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 28
  • FullSizeRender 16.jpg
    FullSizeRender 16.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 38
I made some natural colored FWP necklaces for her, and she always thanked me, but just wore the Majoricas. Right up until a month or so before she died, she would always compliment my pearls.

I hope one day you can wear her Majoricas too...

((Happy Huku)) I haven't been able to do it yet... but someday I will.

And I like what you did with the beads!

Pearl Dreams I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I love that you think of her when you wear your pearls, what a beautiful association.

Pearl Dreams I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I love that you think of her when you wear your pearls, what a beautiful association.

I agree, it's a beautiful sentiment and memory.

Back