Can Vintage Pearls Chip?

lionlaw

Hi everyone! I think my sister is being taken for a ride and need help.

She purchased a strand of allegedly south sea pearls from this pawn broker and I think they are either fake or older dyed freshwater pearls.

I examined the drill holes and there are little chips on some of them. Can pearls chip? Most are eye clean but some of the holes are not.

The outside surfaces have imperfections and blemishes so I am leaning towards these being freshwater pearls and not fake pearls, but really have no clue.

I will add pics later, but am wondering if the chipping is a dead giveaway that they are fake?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Lionlaw,

No, because Akoya can peel at the drill hole. We need photos with close ups of individual areas, and also of the whole strand. If you have a millimeter gauge to give us sizes, that helps also. Photos of blemishes also helps identify the type of (genuine) pearl. Lots of peeps here will be glad to help you with this. You came to the right place!

It would help seeing the kind of damage up close [a picture like THIS would be absolutely great].

Thanks so much for the quick replies.

I will try to get close-up pictures. Since they are on a strand, it is difficult to photograph.

The pearls are definitely not like any Akoyas I have seen. The mm size is about 10mm. They are a purply-grey-black color.

The tooth test will tell you if they are cultured or faux quick enough.

Ok, I did the tooth test. They both feel gritty to me. So the question is if they sold her freshwater pearls as south seas.

Below are pics. The strand I originally posted about is the black one. She has now told me she bought a second one that she was afraid to show me, the white strand. She paid around $500 for both as a pawn shop's "going out of business" sale. I am not an expert, but I think these are dyed freshwaters, if anything.

The white strand are allegedly 10mm white south sea pearls. The black strand is allegedly 10 mm black south sea pearls. The clasps on each are 14K gold.

pics165.jpg

pics168.jpg

pics173.jpg

pics016.jpg

pics162.jpg

pics166.jpg

best pic of chip I can get:

pics168.jpg

Freshwaters, all. With those chips on the strands, it means it is commercial grade fw. The white has some mild chipping too, but the luster is beautiful.

Totally agree with Caitlin. Both strands are cultured freshwaters. Black is dyed or irradiated. The white strand's luster is pretty nice. She overpaid for what they are. Maybe she can get part of her money back? Oh, and they aren't vintage either. Probably from the last 10 years or less.

Thank you!! she is going to return them both tomorrow. If the dealer offers her a reduced price, what is a fair value on these? I figured they were freshwater, but I can't beleive they lied about them being vintage too.

The black one is quite flawed. I got a bunch like that and very slowly sold them for about $25.

For what she spent, she could get a freshadama that size.

Hi Lionpaw,

The 14k clasps are worth maybe $30 each. she shouldn't pay much over $100 at the most. Pearls don't have much pawn value for sure. Even at that, the broker probably would be getting back more than he loaned on them. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Thanks again to everyone! She went back and the dealer produced these fake certificates saying these were South Sea pearls. He refused the refund so she called me. I called him from work (I am an atty) and then he backed down. It is amazing the crooks out there.

Back