Black Opal Dilemma

claudenancy

Some weeks ago I mentioned my dilemma regarding how to set a black opal that I purchased from the cutter some years ago. I am certain that I was able to purchase this opal only because the cutter was very angry with herself. She had purchased nobbies from Lightening Ridge, but did not think they were of high quality. After windowing a number of them she decided that there was no high quality material inside so she sliced the others without proper windowing first. Alas, she sliced through some of the finest black opal that she had ever imagined. After this through the middle, she was left with either cutting very small opals (probably less than a carat) or two moderately small, but poorly proportioned opals. She could not bring herself to destroy so much opal to get a small stone so she cut two opals--and sold them for a low price relative to the material quality and to what might have been! I was able to buy one of them.

It is a little over 3.5 carats (exact weight is in our records, which are elsewhere at the time). It is not large measuring approximately 12 mm by 8 mm by 5 mm high. It has a very high dome with sides that are for several mm perpendicular to the back and then curve in but at a very shallow angle. THere is a small sandpit about 2mm at its longest and about 1 mm at its maximum width (it is triangular in shape with a thin "tail". It is low on one side of the dome and probably could be concealed when set.

This opal has full color on both back and front. In fact the back (flat) side has some of the finest, brightest multicolor fire that can be found in an opal. This opal is an opaque black--highest rating on the LR miner's scale. I will not describe the way it looks any further but upload some photographs that I was recently able to obtain. (My attempts at photographing it were lousy to say the least.)

I will follow up with my thinking, and the options that I have considered in setting it a bit later. The first thought was to have it set so a pendant could be rotated to show either side. I have imagined another option--more on that later--note that it is probably impossible or at least difficult to accomplish. Any thoughts are welcome.

First the "face" with the high dome, note the sandpit on one side

Attachments

• blkopal approx 12 by 8 by 5 mm at max pts.jpg
    blkopal approx 12 by 8 by 5 mm at max pts.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 32
  • blkop frnt with sandpit.jpg
    blkop frnt with sandpit.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 32
  • opals_6 front.jpg
    opals_6 front.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 32
  • opals_11 front with sandpit.jpg
    opals_11 front with sandpit.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Pure Pearls lariat close up*
    Pure Pearls lariat close up*
    8.7 KB · Views: 42
Now the flat back--no flaws--this side glows in the dark. Unfortunately the photos do not do it justice. The area at the right on the horizantal photos and the area on the top--with red fire--actually washes out with direct light and is brightest in lower light--a phenomenon described in Paul Downing's book. Opal Identification and Value--highly recommended for those interested.

In fact the back of this opal actually has brighter and more extensive red fire when when held away from bright direct (as looking in a mirror with light bulbs surrounding it or fromdiffuse light sources (such as a sunflooded room). For example, this morning when I examined the opal in a sunlit room with sheers drawn over the window, the red fire predominated when held "under the table" (see Downing), but cool fire colors dominated when held in the light.

Attachments

• tahitian set*
    tahitian set*
    9.7 KB · Views: 50
  • opals_5  back.jpg
    opals_5 back.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 50
  • opals_4.jpg
    opals_4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Incredible! what a treasure! I like the back too. I think you can get a rim with a bail that will allow you wear it either way. Maybe there is a swivel bale out there to put on the rim.

Lucky you! Thanks for the photos. I agree with Caitlin - it would be great to put it in an open bezel pendant so you can see both sides. ;)

Where's the 'black' in that Black Opal?!! Very impressive.

The swivel bail would be a great solution, no doubt for the two-sided ammolite we acquired recently as well.

A guess:

v0_master.jpg

[SOURCE]

An omega shank would keep the stone above your finger. Those were done on historic swivel rings also, but I could not find a suitable example online off the bat. The stone does not need to be pierced (I suspect the one above was not, but...), naturally.

Got to say: it may be fun, but not much use to talk about design versions without some way to insure that whatever is talked about can be done under acceptable conditions - a broad notion covering who, when, where, how and even a few 'why not'-s on occasion...

Thanks all for your ideas! Valeria, the photograph is actually very helpful, and your point about the "why nots", especially with an opal, are well taken.

Peace to all, Beth

I was not thinking of opal wearing off, but of potential miss-match between my imagination (with no single set of technical restrictions to consider, so far) and your jeweler's responsible comfort-zone. Otherwise, there have been opal rings around since always... and this stone would fit safely next to the finger.

Btw. For the sake of touching both extremes, how do you feel about the very 'modern'?

context_cut_ring.jpg

SOURCE: Abrasha, SanFran.

---- nearly overloked this is a beader's forum! [AMENDS] ... I cannot imagine such a thing could be done on a suitably small scale though. Wrong?

Hi Valeria--I probably put this in the wrong category. I have done some stringing and minimal metal work but certainly have no illusions about trying to set this opal myself or even incorporating it after setting into a bead design. This one is way out of my skills range! I did enjoy looking at the links that you provided.

I was actually wondering about a pendant because I am concerned with the fragility of opals as well as their sensitivity to rapid temp. changes. I have a number of fragile rings that I do not wear often because I am somewhat of a klutz and tend to knock rings about-and expose them to hot or cold when cooking , washing hands, etc. .

I actually like modern designs, as well as designs that draw from the past, and hope that this stone will "speak" to the goldsmith who ultimately sets the stone. My primary objective will be to showcase the opal. I even wondered about the possibility of setting it in something like a swivel as shown in your first picture, and then setting the swivel partially recessed into a modified half sphere that was finished in a mirror like finish and optically designed so that the sides of the interior would reflect light back to the opal but also protect the domed side of the opal when the back side was facing out.-- even possibly setting the swivel so that it could be locked into several positions--including one with the opal on its side, -- that is, the flat side would face left and the domed side to the right (or visa versa) --and the optical properties of the interior of the sphere would both reflect each side of the opal when turned in this position and also reflect light back to the opal.

I did not explain this very well--a bit distracted as we just learned that we have a new grandchild--a little girl born four weeks early--a relief that both Mother and Child are doing very well despite the early arrival

More later.

Thanks again for your suggestions --they are helpful!

Beth

Congratulations Grandma - glad to hear that everything is okay. You have plenty of time to ponder how you want your opal. The right goldsmith will be excited as you are. ;)

?recessed into a modified half sphere that was finished in a mirror like finish and optically designed so that the sides of the interior would reflect light back to the opal?.
A noble idea. Your description inspired the image of such an opal somehow incorporated into the lens of a mega-candle lighthouse. Can you imagine what a welcome those sailors would receive?

Congratulations! :)

The reflector thing would sound impossibly complicated (at least, compared to 'usual' jewelry fare), if ... similar settings would not already be around. Not that many, but the idea has a handful of incarnations.

Here's one:

mandarin_garnets_2.jpg

The spessartite is quite large: SOURCE In fact, I am used to think of these as larger pieces. What would you think of a pod?

1282.1.jpg

These are made into earrings at Richard Wise's (HERE). A more open one, clearly. [btw. the workshop's lateast bit of news happens to be about an opal]

In the end, the question remains; how much of an adventure do you want this to be? It is already getting fairly far off the beaten track. Having interesting tastes is quite often a kind of pain, I am afraid.

PS: if wearing the stone as a ring in some ocasions is tempting at all, the type above could be worn as a pendant - especially if the shank is made to look appealing in the position the antique ring is pictured.

Over and out!

Last edited:
Hi all: I am excited that I have corresponded with a goldsmith who actually took classes from Abrasha during his earlier training and is rather fascinated with some of the ideas that have been discussed here. I will keep you posted. This may indeed be quite an adventure--I am cursed with loving challenges--and it is true that that can be painful at times--but no risk, no reward. Seems this is forum with several jewelry adventurers.

Thanks again to all, and thanks Valeria for the photographs and links--a great help.

Beth

Hi Beth,

So happy for your family and the new Grandbaby!

Interesting challenge of yours to design a lovely piece to showcase the gorgeous opal. I will look forward to further developments!

Maybe a tiny battery somewhere to allow the framed opal to rotate on an axis? --just joking-----

Hi all: I am excited that I have corresponded with a goldsmith who actually took classes from Abrasha during his earlier training and is rather fascinated with some of the ideas that have been discussed here...

How extraordinary! Any chance he might pass by the forum? It would be great to see the design develop :)

Hi Pattye and Valeria: Yes, I do hope to share once the process is started. Thanks Beth

Maybe a tiny battery somewhere to allow the framed opal to rotate on an axis? --just joking-----

It just so happens, a very talented jeweler worked for me earlier this year. The circle rotates, spilling diamonds and collecting them as it turns. And yes, it has batteries. How clever are you!!

Attachments

• thumb Moving jewellery.jpg
    thumb Moving jewellery.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 39
Wow! that is amazing, Purlgurl! What an idea Pattye and Purgurl--stokes the imagination! Really cutting edge!

Thanks for sharing!

Beth

Back