Bead Nuked drilling problem

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
Hi all
Part of the loot from the Hong Kong trip was 38 12-13mm bead nuked multi metallic freshwaters..undrilled. They are totally stunning and I picked out each and every one individually
I've been trying to drill them and while drilling has been perfectly normal for most of them, for some it has proved impossible...it is as if the core of the bead is made of something which the drill bit cannot touch.
With the first of the pearls like this I thought the drill bit was blunt but a brand new one just sort of bedded in and felt spongy and not moving - then when I withdrew it the tip was glowing red hot.
Same with the next drill bit. and the next, and the next. It seems to be the middle 2 or 3mm.
Anyone else had this problem? any suggestions? I've stopped trying while I wait for new bits and suggestions.

It's the tridacna bead. The same thing happens when you hit a Tahitian that has been grafted with one. You will have to drill it slow, just tapping it over and over while letting the bit cool regularly. It's going to be really tough if you are using one of those Chinese flip drills too.

Thanks Jeremy, I was hoping you would spot my post
I'll try the morse code system and let you know how I go

Going slow and pouring water to refresh where the drilling bit goes in, are the 2 important things fo a better drilling,
Also tungstene carbide is better than steel for tough drillings.
And you count : 1, 2, and go down tapping, at count "3" , get the drill "up"
Good luck!

Not sure about water with an electric drill.....
Hoping to get to a new attempt tomorrow (pearls delivery needs unpacking, checking, sorting, stashing etc)

Water is the point, refreshing on drilling to avoid cracks and overheat, but the equipement must be dedicated to that fonction of course

I forgot that I promised a pic of the finished work - 12-13 metallic multicoloured bead nuked. vermeil clasp.
stunning bit of kit
I had a hyperactive sort of a time drilling some of them - leaping up from my workbench every few minutes to tap tap tap again. Some were fine to drill, no problems while others fought every mm of the way. Much thanks for advice.

Attachments

• n big bead nuked multi AAA vermeil cl hk.jpg
    n big bead nuked multi AAA vermeil cl hk.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 42
Gorgeous!!! I had a similar problem trying to drill a monster Tahitian baroque a while back. I had purchased a pair, the first one drilled very easily, the second one was impossible. Got them at Robert Wan's in Tahiti a couple years back...you would think the two pearls would have been nucleated with the same sort of bead? I ultimately tried to force it and cracked the nacre. On a 17+mm baroque. Not happy (in the extreme). It's just hairline cracks, hardly visible to the naked eye, but made me quite sick at the time... Anyway, it's taught me 1)the need of patience and 2)to let go of my inner perfectionist and just enjoy the monster, despite it's imperfections. Made the pair into a pair of earrings - will post a photo somewhere along the line.

But again, Wendy, absolutly GORGEOUS, drool-worthy pearls!!!!!
Sheri

It amazes me that they would use these nuclei in Tahitian farms considering the cost of real U.S. freshwater nuclei is so low. Maybe it's not the farmers fault though. Maybe the manufacturer has been slipping them in to save money. Whatever it is these nuclei can destroy an otherwise beautiful pearl. And for what? A few extra dollars? Greedy and stupid.

Right, and they could get a superior product from such a nice guy too!
Marianne

Gorgeous gorgeous and more gorgeous! Great work, Wendy!

Back